1.5T 10 Speed Swap for CVT...... Possible?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a few of us running on flex fuel on the CVT. makes a huge difference from pump gas

The drag strip is closed for the season. So I won't be able to get any times until next spring
I am very, VERY interested in these people's before and after times in their CVT, on E85. Please feel free to PM me if you can. I do not want to derail this thread. Thanks.
Sponsored

nvtive_b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Country flag
Speak for yourself my friend. I am entirely happy with my CVT. I understand that a Si with full bolt-ons, E85 and most importantly....drag slicks is what got it to that 12.9. A Type R no doubt will be able to do the same with slicks or without once it has a tune.

Work within the boundaries set by your transmission.
1) Limit the unnecessary torque in the midrange.
2) Go all out on the top end (hp/tq).
3) DO NOT use drag slicks (Save your tranny).
4) Use E85!

I won't say what I think I will get once I have the E85 installed but when I do I will request a tune to maximize my top end and limit my midrange. I have no doubts that on street tires I will give any Si or Type R a run for their money.

Good luck in your tranny change quest.
makes me feel a little better about my hatchback sport lol although i wish manual was available when i got mine. ill try to make the best of my cvt! tuning season will be soon lol ill start next year. now what parts are useless or arent as useful as others to cvt that are out right now? performance wise. ones that will ruin your trans if put on and tuned

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
makes me feel a little better about my hatchback sport lol although i wish manual was available when i got mine. ill try to make the best of my cvt! tuning season will be soon lol ill start next year. now what parts are useless or arent as useful as others to cvt that are out right now? performance wise. ones that will ruin your trans if put on and tuned
My personal opinion?
1) Drag Slicks (Don't do it)
2) Midrange torque! Between 3500rpm and 5200rpm or so is beastly. My advice is to stay away from this. Looks great on a dyno graph. All that sudden extra torque on that poor CVT belt isn't cool. We aren't towing boats and motor homes. I advise to keep midrange torque lowered and in control.
3) Bigger/heavier wheels than stock.
Once you install bigger/heavier wheels and tires than stock, you are effectively pushing the weight outwards. This makes the wheels harder to turn. Adding more power before CVT only to make it have to turn bigger/heavier wheels/tires is asking for trouble.

Look at my 1/4 mile time in my sig below ([email protected]). As example, look at some Type R 1/4 mile times here ---> Official Type R 1/4 mile Times

This isn't to rag on the Type R but to give you some real life, average joe people driving cars example. I only have a base Ktuner map uploaded and a PRL downpipe. I have a stock intake, stock intercooler, stock exhaust pipe and front pipe, no E85 or slicks. Yet, I would be able to keep up, or outright beat some of them. As 'slow' as people have complained how the CVT takes off from a dead stop, none of the Type R's are taking off as quick (60ft times) off the line. And this is with the Type R having a 135hp headstart (before my base map upload). I've even offered a friendly challenge to some Type R owners (Si's as well as manual trannied base 1.5ltr) at any of the local tracks.

Use whatever tools you have to wring out what you have. The CVT is beautiful in it's own right. I absolutely hate the fake shifting as it defeats the main reason the CVT is so cool. I will be posting up after having further upgrades. Just waiting on my intercooler to arrive before having everything installed at once.

I do totally understand people's frustration with this transmission though.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
My personal opinion?
1) Drag Slicks (Don't do it)
2) Midrange torque! Between 3500rpm and 5200rpm or so is beastly. My advice is to stay away from this. Looks great on a dyno graph. All that sudden extra torque on that poor CVT belt isn't cool. We aren't towing boats and motor homes. I advise to keep midrange torque lowered and in control.
3) Bigger/heavier wheels than stock.
Once you install bigger/heavier wheels and tires than stock, you are effectively pushing the weight outwards. This makes the wheels harder to turn. Adding more power before CVT only to make it have to turn bigger/heavier wheels/tires is asking for trouble.

Look at my 1/4 mile time in my sig below ([email protected]). As example, look at some Type R 1/4 mile times here ---> Official Type R 1/4 mile Times

This isn't to rag on the Type R but to give you some real life, average joe people driving cars example. I only have a base Ktuner map uploaded and a PRL downpipe. I have a stock intake, stock intercooler, stock exhaust pipe and front pipe, no E85 or slicks. Yet, I would be able to keep up, or outright beat some of them. As 'slow' as people have complained how the CVT takes off from a dead stop, none of the Type R's are taking off as quick (60ft times) off the line. And this is with the Type R having a 135hp headstart (before my base map upload). I've even offered a friendly challenge to some Type R owners (Si's as well as manual trannied base 1.5ltr) at any of the local tracks.

Use whatever tools you have to wring out what you have. The CVT is beautiful in it's own right. I absolutely hate the fake shifting as it defeats the main reason the CVT is so cool. I will be posting up after having further upgrades. Just waiting on my intercooler to arrive before having everything installed at once.

I do totally understand people's frustration with this transmission though.
Which intercooler did you go with? I've been waiting for the PRL Intercooler and 27WON Intake.. and money.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which intercooler did you go with? I've been waiting for the PRL Intercooler and 27WON Intake.. and money.
The PRL intercooler.

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
With a flash +6 psi I imagine 0-60 times are low 6. I'm interested if it's affordable and doesn't compromise the chassis, doesn't seem likely. At least it's a smooth fairly responsive CVT, good city and great highway mileage. I don't want to risk ruining tranny/warranty issues for the sake of a negligible power boost. I was keeping up with a C300 today while holding back under 4000 revs.. but yes who wouldn't enjoy a bit more low/mid-end torque.

Drivers with CVTs who have flashed - is the difference noticeable, how is fuel economy, and have you noticed any issues - bouncing hanging revs tranny noises etc

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
With a flash +6 psi I imagine 0-60 times are low 6. I'm interested if it's affordable and doesn't compromise the chassis, doesn't seem likely. At least it's a smooth fairly responsive CVT, good city and great highway mileage. I don't want to risk ruining tranny/warranty issues for the sake of a negligible power boost. I was keeping up with a C300 today while holding back under 4000 revs.. but yes who wouldn't enjoy a bit more low/mid-end torque.

Drivers with CVTs who have flashed - is the difference noticeable, how is fuel economy, and have you noticed any issues - bouncing hanging revs tranny noises etc
It is a night and day difference. Best bang for buck mod. I run the stage 2 6psi on a Ktuner v1 and i love it. I do alot of spirited driving so my mpg takes a hit a little bit. I fill up every 2 weeks about and you can map the stock tune to the eco button. No issues that i noticd yet.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm interested if it's affordable and doesn't compromise the chassis, doesn't seem likely.............. I don't want to risk ruining tranny/warranty issues for the sake of a negligible power boost.
Don't do It!
It will compromise the chassis. You run the risk of ruining your tranny/warranty issues.

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
How will it compromise the suspension?
I wonder if it could be tuned so eco mode was stock, D +3, and S +6

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't do It!
It will compromise the chassis. You run the risk of ruining your tranny/warranty issues.
Myx I think you misunderstood he’s talking about the 6psi tune which is safe for CVTs. But it could risk your warranty. There was someone on here that blew there CVT and was tuned and it was fixed under warranty. Just make sure you return it to stock and remove the tuner from the OBD port before you go in.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Myx I think you misunderstood he’s talking about the 6psi tune which is safe for CVTs. But it could risk your warranty. There was someone on here that blew there CVT and was tuned and it was fixed under warranty. Just make sure you return it to stock and remove the tuner from the OBD port before you go in.
I would have to say he got pretty lucky and he worked at a dealership that knew the service manager

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Myx I think you misunderstood he’s talking about the 6psi tune which is safe for CVTs. But it could risk your warranty.
No misunderstanding! Any changes to the stock tune that makes more torque compromises his chassis and risks warranty issues. Just being really blunt and clear with my statement. No gray areas of understanding.

If he understands this and is willing to go ahead with it, cool. If anyone has any doubts about this type of stuff , I encourage them not to take any uneccessary chances.

Only when you are sure and confident with your decision to pursue with tuning will I say go forth with it.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To OP, if your looking to swap the trans, just sell it and buy a manual. You bought the wrong car.

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No misunderstanding! Any changes to the stock tune that makes more torque compromises his chassis and risks warranty issues. Just being really blunt and clear with my statement. No gray areas of understanding.

If he understands this and is willing to go ahead with it, cool. If anyone has any doubts about this type of stuff , I encourage them not to take any uneccessary chances.

Only when you are sure and confident with your decision to pursue with tuning will I say go forth with it.
Oh ok I think I misunderstood you . What I meant is that yes there are risks with any time but the 6psi tune is considered pretty “safe”.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh ok I think I misunderstood you . What I meant is that yes there are risks with any time but the 6psi tune is considered pretty “safe”.
Ok...your words though. You know how these things go. Saying it is "safe" and somehow someone with 6psi has issues with their CVT. Whether it is related to the 6psi tune or not, they'll come back to a thread like this and say, 'But you said it was safe'. Know what I mean? I get you though. :D
Sponsored