1.5T 10 Speed Swap for CVT...... Possible?

WKDFB

First Name
John Shev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ext
What do you guys think about the price and difficulty of swapping the new accord 10 speed into our civic platform. Im guessing we would be able to have similar Si performance with the luxury of an auto. I would probably never want to do it at all but definitely would love to see someone try it. Just looking for your guys opinion in why it would work and why it wouldn't work. Thanks.
Sponsored

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
M
What do you guys think about the price and difficulty of swapping the new accord 10 speed into our civic platform. Im guessing we would be able to have similar Si performance with the luxury of an auto. I would probably never want to do it at all but definitely would love to see someone try it. Just looking for your guys opinion in why it would work and why it wouldn't work. Thanks.
My guess is anything is possible if your willing to spend the money. i would do it if it cost 5k or less.

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What’s the point of that? Just swap the whole engine and trans.
Id imagine your right in we'd have to swap in the 2.0l along with the 10 speed. It should fit given that's basically a slower version of the type r engine

Osobigg

Grand Sky Marshal of the North
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback 6MT Polished Metal
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you'd be trying to install a transmission designed for a K20C engine, instead of the D15B engine. it would be best to just drop in the whole powertrain, but then you're looking at different axles, potential suspension upgrades as well

the Civic Type R has a wider front track then the other civics, so i'd wager more the $5k at least for this swap.

Possible, but a lot of engineering would be required to make it work

OP
OP

WKDFB

First Name
John Shev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ext
I personally don't care too much for the accord body style and the type r. In my opinion the sedan is my favorite look. And I'm sure I can't be the only one wanting a better auto transmission for the 1.5t. I know someone is going to say well get a manual and trade your car . Thats not the point of the post. I want to see how many other people are interested in a transmission swap for the cvt. Hopefully there will be more interest in this for companies and they come out with swap kits or whatever they choose. Just sucks for everyone that has a cvt and the 1.5t has potential as seen with cars hitting 12 sec already in the quarter mile with a manual trans and cvt owners will probably never be able to do that unless they trade or spend a lot of money on a one time swap.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you will be waiting a long time. Probably would need someone to crack the transmission computer too
I'm pretty sure a CVT could do a low 13s. Flex fuel adds a lot of top end with the CVT

Last edited:
OP
OP

WKDFB

First Name
John Shev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ext
Hopefully someone is brave enough to max out the cvt and hit low 13s. And does anybody know what is the torque limit with our cvt is?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Hopefully someone is brave enough to max out the cvt and hit low 13s. And does anybody know what is the torque limit with our cvt is?
There's a few of us running on flex fuel on the CVT. makes a huge difference from pump gas

The drag strip is closed for the season. So I won't be able to get any times until next spring

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know people are probably already doing full swaps to get the motor mounts worked out and different exhaust and axle layouts set up for people who are going to want to do it. There will have to be kits in a year or so. I wouldn't expect to see then anytime soon though.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
You know people are probably already doing full swaps to get the motor mounts worked out and different exhaust and axle layouts set up for people who are going to want to do it. There will have to be kits in a year or so. I wouldn't expect to see then anytime soon though.
Hasport wants to do an adapter plate for k trannies

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just sucks for everyone that has a cvt and the 1.5t has potential as seen with cars hitting 12 sec already in the quarter mile with a manual trans and cvt owners will probably never be able to do that unless they trade or spend a lot of money on a one time swap.
Speak for yourself my friend. I am entirely happy with my CVT. I understand that a Si with full bolt-ons, E85 and most importantly....drag slicks is what got it to that 12.9. A Type R no doubt will be able to do the same with slicks or without once it has a tune.

Work within the boundaries set by your transmission.
1) Limit the unnecessary torque in the midrange.
2) Go all out on the top end (hp/tq).
3) DO NOT use drag slicks (Save your tranny).
4) Use E85!

I won't say what I think I will get once I have the E85 installed but when I do I will request a tune to maximize my top end and limit my midrange. I have no doubts that on street tires I will give any Si or Type R a run for their money.

Good luck in your tranny change quest.
Sponsored