First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone,

At the end of August, me and a couple friends will be heading to tail of the dragon and I'll be taking my SI. Anyone here been to tail of the dragon (if yes, what car?). Wanna get some input on what its like. Were also going to bring a fiesta ST and a GTI.
Sponsored

Chris26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got back from the Tail of the Dragon, went there over the weekend. Great road, definitely a beautiful area of the country. If you get lucky and can run through it without some slowpoke in front of you then it's a very enjoyable drive.

My friends and I ran through the first time and got behind a couple of motor cycles that wouldn't pull off for us so it wasn't all that enjoyable because they were going very, very slow. We got to the end, turned around and came back with nobody in front of us and it was much more enjoyable.

One thing to watch out for, I've been twice and each time there were idiots on motorcycles passing in blind curves and just generally being stupid. The highway patrol was out but didn't really bother any cars that I saw. I was wondering if they mainly keep a lookup for people being reckless more than anything.

We also drove down and went across the Cherohala Skyway. Great, well-maintained road with gorgeous views.

I'm jealous of the Fiesta ST. I had one before my Si and miss that car so much. I never took it on the dragon, definitely regret that. The Si has much more room for the kids though so better for them.

SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
Been there a couple times in my S2K. Go early or late, mid day is usually bad on traffic and cops. Never seen a cop or traffic before 8am or after 5/6pm during the week really. We'd usually take it a decent/slow pace out to the overlook and watch for cops. Then on the way back rip it. Drive with in your limits and respect the mustard.

Night runs are a blast too. Zero traffic. Don't wreck because its a long hike to cell service lol

Moonshiner 28 is an awesome drive too from Fontana. Much higher speeds on average.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Been there a couple times in my S2K. Go early or late, mid day is usually bad on traffic and cops. Never seen a cop or traffic before 8am or after 5/6pm during the week really. We'd usually take it a decent/slow pace out to the overlook and watch for cops. Then on the way back rip it. Drive with in your limits and respect the mustard.

Night runs are a blast too. Zero traffic. Don't wreck because its a long hike to cell service lol

Moonshiner 28 is an awesome drive too from Fontana. Much higher speeds on average.

Good info, thanks!

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About 100 10th gen Civics from the forums went back in April. Great mix of of Si’s and CTR’s. What a blast! Like someone else said early morning and after 6 at night is great. Night is dangerous. I wouldn’t do it high speed until you’ve done it several times.

I plan on doing next year’s trip if at all possible. Plan on doing it with us. It’s a blast.

Nickflanders

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si sedan
Country flag
I was just at the dragon this last Saturday. I drove it around 9 am and there was very little traffic. The general public has no problem getting out of the way. My SI is a stock 2019 except for an intake and hondata. The car performed well, really wish I had a slightly aggressive alignment, sticky tires and larger rear sway bar.

OP
OP

arnbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I was just at the dragon this last Saturday. I drove it around 9 am and there was very little traffic. The general public has no problem getting out of the way. My SI is a stock 2019 except for an intake and hondata. The car performed well, really wish I had a slightly aggressive alignment, sticky tires and larger rear sway bar.
Agreed, wish I could put sticky tires in time for the trip. Excited to put the car to the test.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag

Off topic, but I love your profile pic :thumbsup:

BrashSi

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan in Aegean Blue, 2012 Ridgeline EX-L, 2018 Civic Si Sedan in Aegean Blue(sold), 2004 S2000 NFR (sold),
Country flag
Did tail of the dragon last October during the foliage color change and it was a very nice drive. Got behind a few people, but they usually got out of the way relatively quickly. The Si did pretty well overall, but the S2000 would've done a little better. Saw quite a few Type Rs. I only ran it one-way as I was traveling cross country and it was an easy detour.