1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
With all out social avoidance going on, it was at least a convenient time to do a one-year anniversary wash and detail on my CTR. With that, I figured I'd also do a 1 year review of my very own Type R, including things to consider if you're in the market to buy, at least from a PPF and aesthetic modification perspective.

I purchased my 2019 Rallye Red CTR brand new on March 9th 2019, badge #24,174. Like many others, I made a long drive (3 hours away from my home in this case) to buy at MSRP/$36k. I drove the car almost precisely 12,000 miles on the anniversary date this month.

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR IMG_2835

I didn't buy PPF, this is what happened:

When I first bought the car, my immediate question was whether or not to get Paint Protection Film. I was quoted $1500 at a local shop for full front coverage of 3M ScotchGuard. This would have included side mirrors, hood, front fenders and front bumper. I opted against it for a few reasons, but I did realize at the time it was not a bad idea, I just didn't do it. Fast forward one year later/12k miles, I've included pictures below of rock chips/road debris damage my car has taken that likely would have been avoided by using PPF (all photos are in frontal areas):

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_1

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_2

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_3

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_4

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_7

I realize that these imperfections are minimal, but for what it's worth, this damage likely wouldn't be there if I would have installed PPF

Other damage:

I've scraped the front bumper lip twice on the underside, though thankfully, the damage is not visible to the eye unless under the car:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_6

I bumped the wing on the garage door, causing tiny blemishes in the clear coat (hated myself when this happened

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_5

Modest Modifications:
None are performance related, I'm a minimalist when it comes to mods but I did add:

Firstly, tint, as my CTR came completely bare of any accessory:
Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR IMG_2903

Alcantara boomerangs matching CTR seats w/double stitching, by Dream Interior Design:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR DSC05539

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR DSC05549

Eject decal in place of blank button near shift knob:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_10

CTR spare tire (used once when replacing one of two nails I hit during the first 10k miles on the OE contis):

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR IMG_3185

CTR-specific trunk tray, which has to be cut on the right side of the tray near the OE subwoofer if you have the spare under the trunk deck, otherwise the tray doesn't fit properly:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_8

Honda OE rear seat backside protective mats (pictured above)
10 inch Pioneer subwoofer w/dedicated amp (pictured above)

Honda OE euro spec CTR white side markers:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR Untitled2

Rear bumper sequential lights/turn signal (in place of the OE rear bumper reflector):

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR DSC05562

Added red button reflectors in the hollow circles found in the honeycomb rear bumper plastic:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR Image 3-23-20 at 8.09 PM (1).JPG

a custom license plate tag as well, pictured above

New Hankook Ventus tires were installed earlier this month, right at 12k miles (my contis were getting bald). I don't track the car, these tires seem good for the driving around town and interstate FL that I do:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR Image 3-24-20 at 10.41 AM.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR image_9

Warranty work:

Around 4k miles, I started driving the car in a much more spirited fashion after break in. With that, an audible buzzing sound in unison with strong vibration was coming out of the clutch pedal area anytime I'd engage the clutch at or above 5k RPM. Through this forum, I discovered Buzzing sound when depressing clutch pedal at 5-6k rpm, where dozens of other CTR owners reported the same observation that I was experiencing. I lived with it for awhile not wanting to take my car into the dealer, but ultimately couldn't stand the issue any longer and got it fixed by Honda. The resolution was consistent with what others found in the buzzing thread. I got my car back same day, it was a rather painless process:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR 289087D9-0ECF-492C-B9F8-55930C29F0EB

The CTR has been an amazing value, I really can't praise the car enough. Having the hatchback space and mid 20s fuel economy makes the car incredibly practical and the stock performance is plenty coming from a 9th gen Si. Here's to another year of pleasure driving the CTR

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR Image 3-23-20 at 8.11 PM.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR Image 3-23-20 at 8.18 PM.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR Image 3-23-20 at 8.14 PM.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 year/12k mile review of my '19 CTR Image 3-23-20 at 8.10 PM.JPG

Cheers

[edited to add Warranty work info]

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I pretty much echo your sentiments! :thumbsup: Mine will be 1 on May 11, couldn't ask for a better car for what I ask it to do! Great nice weather daily/fun driver that is rock solid reliability wise that has the functionality of a small SUV and the performance of a pretty serious sports car!:bow:

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the 1 year review, your car still looks brand new.

CTRDON

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
With all out social avoidance going on, it was at least a convenient time to do a one-year anniversary wash and detail on my CTR. With that, I figured I'd also do a 1 year review of my very own Type R, including things to consider if you're in the market to buy, at least from a PPF and aesthetic modification perspective.

I purchased my 2019 Rallye Red CTR brand new on March 9th 2019, badge #24,174. Like many others, I made a long drive (3 hours away from my home in this case) to buy at MSRP/$36k. I drove the car almost precisely 12,000 miles on the anniversary date this month.

IMG_2835.jpg

I didn't buy PPF, this is what happened:

When I first bought the car, my immediate question was whether or not to get Paint Protection Film. I was quoted $1500 at a local shop for full front coverage of 3M ScotchGuard. This would have included side mirrors, hood, front fenders and front bumper. I opted against it for a few reasons, but I did realize at the time it was not a bad idea, I just didn't do it. Fast forward one year later/12k miles, I've included pictures below of rock chips/road debris damage my car has taken that likely would have been avoided by using PPF (all photos are in frontal areas):

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_7.jpg

I realize that these imperfections are minimal, but for what it's worth, this damage likely wouldn't be there if I would have installed PPF

Other damage:

I've scraped the front bumper lip twice on the underside, though thankfully, the damage is not visible to the eye unless under the car:

image_6.jpg

I bumped the wing on the garage door, causing tiny blemishes in the clear coat (hated myself when this happened

image_5.jpg

Modest Modifications:
None are performance related, I'm a minimalist when it comes to mods but I did add:

Firstly, tint, as my CTR came completely bare of any accessory:
IMG_2903.jpg

Alcantara boomerangs matching CTR seats w/double stitching, by Dream Interior Design:

DSC05539.jpg

DSC05549.jpg

Eject decal in place of blank button near shift knob:

image_10.jpg

CTR spare tire (used once when replacing one of two nails I hit during the first 10k miles on the OE contis):

IMG_3185.jpg

CTR-specific trunk tray, which has to be cut on the right side of the tray near the OE subwoofer if you have the spare under the trunk deck, otherwise the tray doesn't fit properly:

image_8.jpg

Honda OE rear seat backside protective mats (pictured above)
10 inch Pioneer subwoofer w/dedicated amp (pictured above)

Honda OE euro spec CTR white side markers:

Untitled2.jpg

Rear bumper sequential lights/turn signal (in place of the OE rear bumper reflector):

DSC05562.jpg

Added red button reflectors in the hollow circles found in the honeycomb rear bumper plastic:

Image 3-23-20 at 8.09 PM (1).JPG

a custom license plate tag as well, pictured above

New Hankook Ventus tires were installed earlier this month, right at 12k miles (my contis were getting bald). I don't track the car, these tires seem good for the driving around town and interstate FL that I do:

Image 3-24-20 at 10.41 AM.JPG

image_9.jpg

The CTR has been an amazing value, I really can't praise the car enough. Having the hatchback space and mid 20s fuel economy makes the car incredibly practical and the stock performance is plenty coming from a 9th gen Si. Here's to another year of pleasure driving the CTR

Image 3-23-20 at 8.11 PM.JPG

Image 3-23-20 at 8.18 PM.JPG

Image 3-23-20 at 8.14 PM.JPG

Image 3-23-20 at 8.10 PM.JPG

Cheers
Appreciate your review and I really like a lot of your small tasteful mods. A few questions: Are the alcantara boomerangs matching the CTR seats w/double stitching, by Dream Interior Design an off the shelf or special order part? Cost? Where did you find the rear bumper sequential lights? What are the specs/cost for the spare tire shown and how was it mounted? Where did you get the eject button? Many thanks.

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Great post, I've had my Type R for exactly 1 week now and have loved every minute of being in the car. I was actually talking to a local company today about doing PPF plus ceramic coating within 2 or 3 weeks.

OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Appreciate your review and I really like a lot of your small tasteful mods. A few questions: Are the alcantara boomerangs matching the CTR seats w/double stitching, by Dream Interior Design an off the shelf or special order part? Cost? Where did you find the rear bumper sequential lights? What are the specs/cost for the spare tire shown and how was it mounted? Where did you get the eject button? Many thanks.
I would contact Dream Interior Design directly about what you want, last time I went on their website it appeared to be stale/out of date for what they offer. I believe the guys name was Eric who did the job for me at the business. I think the cost was about $275, but that included new boomerangs so you don't have to send him the boomerangs that are installed on the car already.

Rear bumper sequential lights came from ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Sequen...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I ordered the spare tire kit directly from Honda and had a tire shop mount it - https://www.hondafactoryparts.com/o...OYAPqPVbHJJqtB5Dqt5EKE3SoeTCnnnhoCSH0QAvD_BwE
The kit doesn't come with a tire, here is the tire that goes with the kit - https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genui...t125~70r18~99m~continental~42751-ctl-031.html

Eject is just a decal sticker, got it from https://everythingvinyldecal.com/ lots of blank button options can be found here

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Beautiful car! Don't get rid of the wing!

Fk820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Has the buzzing in your clutch completely stopped after the warranty work? I think my 2020 has the same issue. Does anyone else have this issue and were able to get it fixed?

OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Has the buzzing in your clutch completely stopped after the warranty work? I think my 2020 has the same issue. Does anyone else have this issue and were able to get it fixed?
Buzzing is completely gone. The cable would vibrate against the interior under body...incredibly annoying at the time and I'm super happy I got it fixed.

OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
sorry just saw this, but shared my comment on your new thread
Sponsored