1. We still need ET60 wheels 2. Here's some ET53 at least (edit: and two ET60 options)

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I don't think so but someone local to them should test fit it. I'm sure Apex would be more than happy. I would have gone with apex wheels had the forged BW wheels not been on sale.
It has been confirmed it will not fit. Rim is too wide and will hit the shocks.
Sponsored

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
That's some serious research. I really like the looks of the first set you poste (BBS RA-I).

For what it's worth, I have managed to get wheels shipped here from Japan before. It was well worth the effort. :)

jacobc8701

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That's some serious research. I really like the looks of the first set you poste (BBS RA-I).

For what it's worth, I have managed to get wheels shipped here from Japan before. It was well worth the effort. :)
That looks very similar to the BBS RF 521 Forged wheel that Tirerack has. Plus its et47 so not much farther off.

OP
OP

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I've added more options to the first post.

For myself, I'm leaning towards 18x9 +53 5x120 in some sort of Advan, because after driving on the stock 20s, I want more sidewall!

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I found some BBS Japan wheel with ET around 50's . Unfortunately, these are not sold in the US.

RI-A forged
18x9.0 +50 5x120.0 8.4kg
https://bbs-japan.co.jp/products/1491/

RE-V forged
18Ă—9.0 +53 5x120.0 9.9kg
19Ă—9.5 +48 5x120.0 10.7kg
https://bbs-japan.co.jp/products/560/
IIRC, @GrahamRahalPerformance has those RIA's. (BBS USA sells RIA's, but when I priced those wheels last year you had to look at the motorsports side of their website to see the RIA's - and email them to order and get pricing for that size.)

peterdawolf

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #16318, 1995 M3 S/C in a 1994 325i
Just got off the phone with Apex, they are working on a direct fitment 18x9.5 ET 45 wheel to have ready by early next year (to catch track season).

I'll likely wait for that one. Talked about it a bit, ET48-60 in an 18x9.5 will not clear the strut on the inside, they have to reduce offset to fit the wider rim. ET48 would probably be dead on perfect, assuming the sidewall didn't really bulge out, and the section width was narrow like the factory tires, but most performance or race rubber will have a slightly larger than specified section width. By going to the ET45, they will be able to give back a few mm of clearance on the inside (strut) , and based on the offset/size calcs this will change the diameter a little bit and give a bit of a wider track, which they claim shouldn't adversely affect handling at all.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=35&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=45.

Just by eye, it looks to me like we have enough clearance on the fender side to accommodate the 27+mm wider track, without rolling fenders, and I for one would be totally happy to grab a set of these to wrap around them:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...l=Blackwall&partnum=635WR8RT615KPXL&tab=Sizes

My only concern is whether or not the RT-615k+ tires will handle the heat, but that's the newer, higher heat handling compound as of around a year or so. Either way, it seems like just about every single tire one could want is available in that size, and while $130-$300 is quite a range for tires in this size, it beats 245/30/R20's all day long.

This one for $129 a pop pretty much stands out:

https://www.ebay.com/p/265-35zr18-Federal-595-Rs-rr-Tire-RS-RR-265-35-18-97w-XL/1782182469

There's a pretty awesome list of tires here too:

https://tires.tirerack.com/search?p...nd&view=list&sli_jump=1&af=cat:tires type:all

Peter

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
Just got off the phone with Apex, they are working on a direct fitment 18x9.5 ET 45 wheel to have ready by early next year (to catch track season).

I'll likely wait for that one. Talked about it a bit, ET48-60 in an 18x9.5 will not clear the strut on the inside, they have to reduce offset to fit the wider rim.

Peter
have you by chance looked into clearance for aftermarket coilovers? Any information on the design; mesh, 5 spoke...etc?

peterdawolf

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #16318, 1995 M3 S/C in a 1994 325i
I'm not sure. It might be something off this page:

https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-by-vehicle/honda/civic-type-r.html

Typically, aftermarket coilovers will be a smaller diameter than factory springs, i.e.: 2.5" / 60mm. Personally.. unless I was going to dedicate the car to the track, I wouldn't even be thinking about an aftermarket suspension.. the car works quite well on the factory stuff. I'd actually argue you'd be hard pressed to engineer a better suspension using Koni or Bilstein adjustable struts and having them valved for the spring rates. In R mode the car is almost completely flat through turns. Comfort or sport there's a little more lean, but I already have a car with a pretty dialed in high rate suspension - the Type R is my DD more or less.

What would matter is if the strut diameter is larger than the factory dampers. That would directly affect the clearance of the wheel to the strut on the inside. If we're putting 18x9.5's with 265mm wide tires on the car it's going to pretty well fill out the wheel well. If you put aftermarket dampers on the car that have a larger diameter strut housing than factory (and it's at least 5mm larger) - the 2.7mm extra clearance from the ET45 wheels may not save you - luckily there's an easy solution for that called wheel spacers. 5mm spacers would effectively remove 5mm off offset (reducing the wheels effectively to ET40 from ET45), and therefore space the rim 5MM further out from the strut. This would allow the car to clear a damper that had a diameter of (stock damper diameter+ 15.4mm) or 5+2.7=7.7*2 = 15.4mm.

So it depends on the aftermarket suspension. Each one would need to be measured for clearance, and honestly, you'd probably need to test fit it prior to committing.

So for me, having better, wider, stickier tires is a must, but upgrading the suspension itself is not. If you are looking to future proof the ET45 wheels, then plan for spacers if necessary, and *also* plan for either increased negative camber, or possibly rolling the fenders in the event you have rubbing with the spacers.

Since I went through all this to get 255/40/17's to fit properly on my E36 (street driven, CARB-legal supercharged track slut), I can promise you I'm not willing to do it to the Type R :D

Also, just to mention it.. if you plan to replace the suspension.. and later down the road the latest 2028 Civic Type R comes out with a 600HP all electric drivetrain, with a range of 800 miles, or whatever random stats you want to pull out of the Management Information Assessment Services System (aka MIASS) **and** you decide you want to sell privately or trade in your current Type R - for God's sake, save every single factory part, and put the factory stuff back on before you try to sell or trade it in. Dealerships on trade-in's automatically subtract $2500 for "Frame Damage" from the value of lowered cars. Most private parties looking to buy one do the same. Keep every part and reverse it back to precisely factory stock..

I for one, will focus my spending money on track days, tires, and brake pads with the stock suspension before replacing it. It out handles most aftermarket suspension equipped cars I've driven.

Peter

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Coming from a Mazdaspeed3, I don’t feel any torque steer at all from my 9.5 wide 40 offsets. Like any at all more than stock.

I mean seriously, you trying to steer with your stomach? Do you have a handicap of some sort?

I totally get preference, just because you want et60’s. Just say that. In respect that. But don’t say because of torque steer, cause that is ridiculous.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from a Mazdaspeed3, I don’t feel any torque steer at all from my 9.5 wide 40 offsets. Like any at all more than stock.

I mean seriously, you trying to steer with your stomach? Do you have a handicap of some sort?

I totally get preference, just because you want et60’s. Just say that. In respect that. But don’t say because of torque steer, cause that is ridiculous.
lmao, I've been thinking the same dang thing...I don't get how they feel that much of a difference, lmao

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Any developments on this? Curious to see if there have been other options added

Five12free

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 16 GT4, 18 Raptor
Same here, looking for more down sized options closer to stock offset.
Sponsored