1 thing you hate about your 10th gen civic?

nericollin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
Having had my 2016 EX for about 4 years now, I would say without a doubt that the car's stability at high speeds or in windy conditions is the thing I hate the most about it.

I live in Columbus Ohio, and while most driving around here is suburban / city, the highways are long stretches to get to any of the other suburb areas.

Today it's a bit windy, but my entire drive was a nerve wracking mess feeling like any moment the car could lose control, and I hated it.

Thankfully my commute nowadays doesn't involve these highways much anymore, but it still makes me feel uneasy. Whether it's the CVT, light weight of the car, Honda sensing (or a combination of all three), or some other issue, I have no idea. But the dealership didn't take my concerns seriously the two times I brought it into them for routine maintenance.

Now I'm just wondering if I'm being overly sensitive, or if others have experienced even a tiny bit of what I described too.
Sponsored

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Having had my 2016 EX for about 4 years now, I would say without a doubt that the car's stability at high speeds or in windy conditions is the thing I hate the most about it.

I live in Columbus Ohio, and while most driving around here is suburban / city, the highways are long stretches to get to any of the other suburb areas.

Today it's a bit windy, but my entire drive was a nerve wracking mess feeling like any moment the car could lose control, and I hated it.

Thankfully my commute nowadays doesn't involve these highways much anymore, but it still makes me feel uneasy. Whether it's the CVT, light weight of the car, Honda sensing (or a combination of all three), or some other issue, I have no idea. But the dealership didn't take my concerns seriously the two times I brought it into them for routine maintenance.

Now I'm just wondering if I'm being overly sensitive, or if others have experienced even a tiny bit of what I described too.
I've driven extensively in my '19 ST Hatch at both high speeds (90+) and in high winds (on flat AZ highways where crosswinds feel like they can blow you right off the road), and I've even commented to my husband how rock solid the car feels in both situations. I wonder if you have something else going on that's affecting your steering?

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
I've only had my car since 12/2019 and I'm already seeing quite a few micro scratches in the glossy black plastic around the shifter. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying, since I'd say I'm pretty careful about things and not being rough on the interior. Oh well. I can live it, but again, it's annoying.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring; 2018 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I've driven extensively in my '19 ST Hatch at both high speeds (90+) and in high winds (on flat AZ highways where crosswinds feel like they can blow you right off the road), and I've even commented to my husband how rock solid the car feels in both situations. I wonder if you have something else going on that's affecting your steering?
I agree - blown away at how stable this car feels. 10th Gen civic is a much better chassis than previous models with increased rigidity, etc. should be a much all around better handling car. I do believe the sport hatches have some upgraded suspension components over lower models but a common denominator I've heard from most 10th Gen civic owners is how substantial this car feels..... even at 100+ MPH speeds.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

it is possible your allignment is off, for straight line stability it is a good thing to have some toe, i dont remember how much, professional should know that...

ebbtide

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
Country flag
So far, the factory tires. Wind and engine noise is minimal but tire noise is noticeable

BendeY

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic RS
Country flag
For me its that the Australian Models don't seem to have the option for heated mirrors, might not sound like a huge deal but when they fog up theyre basically useless.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Yea wtf. Couple of weeks ago i leaned in to the rear sears to get something on the floor, put my hand on the pillar like every normal people would, and suddenly PUFF, it warped. I could only imagine how stupid my face looked.
Picture maybe?

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Pulled out my manual and found the info about the electric parking brake. While the car is in motion, if you apply the EPB, the vehicle uses the VSA system to apply brakes to all four wheels until the vehicle comes to a stop, at which point the parking brake is applied. So I wasn't wrong about the motors, but I definitely didn't realize what happens if you apply the EPB at speed.

So pulling the switch at full speed the car will automatically slow in its own until it stops then engage?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
To what others have suggested, I would also add the simplest one: make sure your tires are not over- / under- pressure. Be sure and start from the pressure spec printed on the door jamb label. This can have huge effects like you describe and TPMS may have been set to a wrong pressure calibration and won't tell you.

Also, are you still on the OEM tires? If not, what are you running?

I live somewhere that high crosswinds/high speed are both rare to impossible. (Also where no road is straight for more than a quarter mile or so.) I've never had any sense in our '16 Touring on the OEM Firestone shoes that the car was less than very stable.

Last edited:

JohnnyEBGood

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I disabled LaneWatch's automatic "activate on turn signal" function, and now I use the button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

So, now I can "preview" the camera long before I want to change lanes, and it won't take over the nav screen when I don't want it. I also use the camera to check my place in a parking spot when I go through an empty spot to park nose-out in the next spot (does that description make any sense?); when the "O" in "Object" lines up with the parking spot line behind me, the car is in the right position ahead of that line.
A great Car Hack.

How to set your Sideview mirrors to avoid a blind spot. This method works perfectly and is very helpful in traffic and on a racetrack. I discovered this technique several years ago on the Car Talk website and have used it ever since. If you follow the instructions correctly, any car that appears in your rearview mirror and is passing your vehicle on either side will appear in your sideview mirror precisely as it disappears from view in your rearview mirror. No blind spot!

From your normal sitting position, lean your head to the left and adjust your driver-side mirror so that it just touches the back fender of your car. Then lean your head to the right and adjust your passenger-side mirror until it just touches the rear right rear fender of your car. That's it. You are done.

Interestingly, it works much better then the little indicator light that comes on in the blind spot warning system on our car. By the time the blind spot indicator light comes on, the car is already quite close.

Setting your Sideview mirrors in this fashion will not help you back up, and you should be turn your head to watch when you do that. It will however go along way to keep you from hitting a car in your blind spot.

Let me know what you think. I'm sure that many of you use this technique, but I also know that many drivers have never tried it.

barrettd

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
A great Car Hack.

How to set your Sideview mirrors to avoid a blind spot. This method works perfectly and is very helpful in traffic and on a racetrack. I discovered this technique several years ago on the Car Talk website and have used it ever since. If you follow the instructions correctly, any car that appears in your rearview mirror and is passing your vehicle on either side will appear in your sideview mirror precisely as it disappears from view in your rearview mirror. No blind spot!

From your normal sitting position, lean your head to the left and adjust your driver-side mirror so that it just touches the back fender of your car. Then lean your head to the right and adjust your passenger-side mirror until it just touches the rear right rear fender of your car. That's it. You are done.

Interestingly, it works much better then the little indicator light that comes on in the blind spot warning system on our car. By the time the blind spot indicator light comes on, the car is already quite close.

Setting your Sideview mirrors in this fashion will not help you back up, and you should be turn your head to watch when you do that. It will however go along way to keep you from hitting a car in your blind spot.

Let me know what you think. I'm sure that many of you use this technique, but I also know that many drivers have never tried it.
I started setting my mirrors this way a few years ago, and what a difference it makes. I find my LaneWatch view pretty much matches what I'm already seeing from my side view mirror. Great tip, though my wife refuses to follow it...

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
A great Car Hack.

Exactly. Been doing this for over a decade. Most people's mirrors are set so the side of their vehicle takes up half of the mirror's view, which makes zero sense. I have mine set so I can just see the edges of the side of my vehicle in the mirror, so I can see more of what's around me.
Sponsored