1 thing you hate about your 10th gen civic?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
A video from Scotty Kilmer the worst moment for an engine is when you start it my humble opinion ;) :
Scotty kilmer? :puke:
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok Phy got it ? Scotty Kilmer and I are both idiots and we know nothing about cars no problem ?
Let me ask you this: My CRZ had auto stop/start. Do you think the starter on it is more or less worn than a comparable car without auto stop/start?

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Let me ask you this: My CRZ had auto stop/start. Do you think the starter on it is more or less worn than a comparable car without auto stop/start?
If I recall, the CRZ and other Honda hybrids using the IMA system do not have a traditional starter motor connected to the flywheel via a pinion gear. Instead, the flywheel itself contains a sort of pancake motor that also functions as the starter motor, which makes it much more robust for auto start/stop.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I recall, the CRZ and other Honda hybrids using the IMA system do not have a traditional starter motor connected to the flywheel via a pinion gear. Instead, the flywheel itself contains a sort of pancake motor that also functions as the starter motor, which makes it much more robust for auto start/stop.
Correct. But the point is, idle stop isn't "creating more wear and tear". I'm not claiming to be smarter than Scotty, but the engineers working on idle stop systems are definitely smarter than Scotty.

If you just don't personally like your car stopping on its own, fine, but lets drop the myth about "excessive wear and tear".

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
Correct. But the point is, idle stop isn't "creating more wear and tear". I'm not claiming to be smarter than Scotty, but the engineers working on idle stop systems are definitely smarter than Scotty.

If you just don't personally like your car stopping on its own, fine, but lets drop the myth about "excessive wear and tear".
What I mean is that the goal of stop idle and cylinder deactivation technologies is to have more efficiency but not necessary a better reliability because car manufacturers are under pressure from governments to reduce mpg figures... that’s a fact ?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What I mean is that the goal of stop idle and cylinder deactivation technologies is to have more efficiency but not necessary a better reliability because car manufacturers are under pressure from governments to reduce mpg figures... that’s a fact ?
You're saying that idle stop systems hurt reliability. I'm saying it doesn't and there's no evidence it does, only "opinions".

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
That's literally your "opinion" too and you're providing no evidence to back it up.

My personal feelings on it - I spent years as a tech for Honda, BMW and a couple of others and I too dislike these systems. I know there's more wear on the starters because I've seen it with my own peepers. Whether or not you believe that is entirely up to you.

I know the batteries are a lot more expensive and that they work harder than regular lead acid ones. EFB and AGM batteries typically cost 3 times that of a traditional lead acid battery so you're literally paying for an expensive battery to run a system that's unnecessarily cranking your starter every time you stop.

This function exists for no reason other than to allow manufacturers to scrape some emissions off the top, just like cylinder deactivation, exhaust recirculation etc etc.

I'm pretty surprised that anyone would be defensive of this. It's pretty universally disliked in my experience.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Manufacturers are doing whatever it takes to get a bit better gas mileage. Stop/start, cylinder deactivation, etc. Eventually this wont matter when all vehicle are EV. Just saying.

SpenAfon

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Everybody thinks it hurts long term reliability, but only have their opinions as evidence. My opinion is, most people that hate it, have never used it long term, and the company wouldn't spend the time, money, or resources on something that made the car worse. Idle stop has been around for more than 10 years now, they've got enough data to see if it's worth doing.
"Once the driver puts pressure on the accelerator, then the engine turns back on. It’s simple, and some say it can save between 3-5% of gas in stop-and-go traffic."

"But the main question most car buyers have about new start-stop systems is: won't they wear out my car's starter motor? The answer is no." "'Automotive engineers don't use 'traditional' starter motors in these situations,' he explained. 'The starter used for start-stop systems combines several technologies.'"

So it does save some gas but i don't think anyone sits in stop and go traffic for 100% of their cars life, but also it does not seem to cause any damage as long as the engine isn't off for enough time for it to cool off. I don't drive a car that has it but I have been passenger in a car that has it and I'd say it is uncomfortable until you are used to it.

Last edited:

brianx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX hatchback
Country flag
Wanted to see what was the biggest thing you hate about your 10th gen civic ?

I would have to say mine is the double spoiler. I think it looks kinda strange.
The turn-down exhaust on non sport models.

And also the vertical volume slider on the head unit instead of a knob

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's literally your "opinion" too and you're providing no evidence to back it up.

My personal feelings on it - I spent years as a tech for Honda, BMW and a couple of others and I too dislike these systems. I know there's more wear on the starters because I've seen it with my own peepers. Whether or not you believe that is entirely up to you.

I know the batteries are a lot more expensive and that they work harder than regular lead acid ones. EFB and AGM batteries typically cost 3 times that of a traditional lead acid battery so you're literally paying for an expensive battery to run a system that's unnecessarily cranking your starter every time you stop.

This function exists for no reason other than to allow manufacturers to scrape some emissions off the top, just like cylinder deactivation, exhaust recirculation etc etc.

I'm pretty surprised that anyone would be defensive of this. It's pretty universally disliked in my experience.
Thanks VTECR ?

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're saying that idle stop systems hurt reliability. I'm saying it doesn't and there's no evidence it does, only "opinions".
That's the goal of such a Forum: to share opinions I still disagree with you about stop idle reliability on a long term but I respect your opinion ? Have a good day Phy ? Nick

Leaux

First Name
Leaux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
The Nooks & Crannies!
These nooks and crannies are a pain when you go to clean your car. All kinds of tree debris falls in and it’s hard to wash dout. I vacuumed first, then washed. I may get a small plastic pry tool to get in there and clean it out.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I don't drive a car that has it but I have been passenger in a car that has it and I'd say it is uncomfortable until you are used to it.
From my limited and occasional experience driving vehicles with it, I would have used the word disconcerting. The same would be true if cars had always worked Start/Stop and some started adopting Never Stop. I'm sure this technology adds to the cost of the vehicle. I'm less persuaded that it makes them less durable in the long haul or less reliable in the short haul.
Sponsored