1 gallon of e85

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I know he's not an Si but on TSP Stage 1 for Si I had knock control elevate all the time with pump 92, and it would stay stable at .49 99% of the time with a gallon of E85.

It definitely helps, most tunes target 93 octane but obviously most are "safe" with 91/92 (except TSP stage 1 +).

Now I always grab E85 when I fill up because I've moved to stage 1+ that absolutely requires 93+, so it makes something around 93-94 out of the 92 here.
It is not about whether he has an Si or non-Si, I was referring to that fuel quality in Oregon is not as bad as other areas. I never really saw it rise unless I was repeatedly doing WOT pulls on my Si with 92 from most stations in Oregon, Chevrons, Shells, etc.... Now him having a non-Si means his knock control will rise more than an Si, it will likely happen even on 93 as well so I suppose upping the octane would be helpful the degree of how much is to be determined though. As for what it raises your octane, it is hard to tell. Using a calculator online if you used a gallon of e85 100 octane, it would not even raise your octane to 93 but would make your ethanol content just slightly over 16%.
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
It is not about whether he has an Si or non-Si, I was referring to that fuel quality in Oregon is not as bad as other areas. I never really saw it rise unless I was repeatedly doing WOT pulls on my Si with 92 from most stations in Oregon, Chevrons, Shells, etc.... Now him having a non-Si means his knock control will rise more than an Si, it will likely happen even on 93 as well so I suppose upping the octane would be helpful the degree of how much is to be determined though. As for what it raises your octane, it is hard to tell. Using a calculator online if you used a gallon of e85 100 octane, it would not even raise your octane to 93 but would make your ethanol content just slightly over 16%.
That goes into a very long and arduous discussion about ethanol, effective octane/ direct injection cooling effect, etc. Suffice it to say 15% ethanol 93 octane is better than 0% ethanol 93 octane, for direct injection turbo engines. Not for fuel efficiency, of course.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That goes into a very long and arduous discussion about ethanol, effective octane/ direct injection cooling effect, etc. Suffice it to say 15% ethanol 93 octane is better than 0% ethanol 93 octane, for direct injection turbo engines. Not for fuel efficiency, of course.
Yeah but all our gas in Oregon is E10 at least. I was never telling him not to do it, just pointing out that our gas isn't that bad in Oregon. His improvement will vary a bit. Best thing is to try it and see how it goes.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Yeah but all our gas in Oregon is E10 at least. I was never telling him not to do it, just pointing out that our gas isn't that bad in Oregon. His improvement will vary a bit. Best thing is to try it and see how it goes.
I agree. If I hadn't gone back and forth between E10 92 and E15 mix several times to confirm it considerably improved knock control, I wouldn't believe it.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I agree. If I hadn't gone back and forth between E10 92 and E15 mix several times to confirm it considerably improved knock control, I wouldn't believe it.
Thank you guys for really taking your time with this thread, on Thursday or possibly sooner I will go to Jay's and get some e85 and see how it goes
Sponsored