Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It would actually be less expensive to run 1/2 a bottle of MMP style Octane booster.
Might be cheaper but ask any of the major 10th gen tuners and they all recommend splashing some E85 versus using octane boosters.
nope. nothing in what I said was about cost on my end (but mentioned it compared to the cost of OP's price of buying specialty E85 since he has no pump in his area at a reasonable cost). you might wanna re-read what I wrote. E85 at the pump in my area is currently $2.40, mostly because we have a large refinery plant in Marion, OH which is 35 miles north of here. BTW, E85 blending does lower fuel economy a bit. It did in both my E30 tuned Ford's (Focus ST, Fiesta ST) and really did in my E85 tuned Mustang GT. the reason I used a bottle of Lucas Oil octane booster in mine is its a 45 mile round trip to go buy E85 where I moved to and live now, and my time and avoiding Columbus, OH traffic meant more to me than saving a couple bucks. I have no need to blend E85 in my little Honda...it doesn't need it, the 93 octane locally is easily up to the task to feed the tuning I have on my Civic.
You should really look at my post in the thread. I gave him a link to a place in his area with pump E85.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Christian, I was researching this for you and I found a place that should work. That wasn't easy to track down.

Jay's Garage in Portland has pump E85. https://www.jaysgarage.com/

Capture.JPG
So GT I guess my question to you is should I use a octane booster, buy a couple 5 gallon gas cans and go to Jay's, or buy x85 here in Canby. I'm thinking either Jay's or the octane booster. I leaning to Jay's because on the highway my knock I saw it go up today to .60 or more and I have the right tune chevron gas, and I guess I trust what you have to say you're very knowledgeable

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
So GT I guess my question to you is should I use a octane booster, buy a couple 5 gallon gas cans and go to Jay's, or buy x85 here in Canby. I'm thinking either Jay's or the octane booster. I leaning to Jay's because on the highway my knock I saw it go up today to .60 or more and I have the right tune chevron gas, and I guess I trust what you have to say you're very knowledgeable
Put premium fuel and don’t worry about it. The engine isn’t made out of paper.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Put premium fuel and don’t worry about it. The engine isn’t made out of paper.
I know, I just would prefer getting my knock down the best way besides just going back to stock if that makes sense

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One gallon E85 on top of your 92 octane should bump up octane enough to stabilize knock control on your tune quite a bit.

Try it out and see if you get an improvement.

On the other hand, keep this in mind. On the non-Si it's normal to see k.c. elevate in the .6+ range anytime you go above 5200 rpm. The OTS tunes (TSP & Phearable) compensate for the artificial knock rise with bumped up timing.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One gallon E85 on top of your 92 octane should bump up octane enough to stabilize knock control on your tune quite a bit.

Try it out and see if you get an improvement.

On the other hand, keep this in mind. On the non-Si it's normal to see k.c. elevate in the .6+ range anytime you go above 5200 rpm. The OTS tunes (TSP & Phearable) compensate for the artificial knock rise with bumped up timing.
Oh that's interesting I didn't know that, I'm definitely going to try it out, thanks man
Didn’t know you were tuned. You can always get a custom tune with your local fuel.
Yeah I'm debating it I have a kiddo on the way and I would wanna get a drop in turbo w1 before tuning

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Jays in Portland has E85, so does ForgedFuels on Instagram. With Forgedfuels, you pick it up at his place and it is much cheaper than the VP pricing you posted. Just fill up a 5 Gallon from costal farms and put that into a one gallon when you need to fill up. I don't really think you need it though, I never had Knock Control spike up from 92 octane in Oregon.

Edit: I also have a friend in Woodburn who buys a drum who might sell to you if you prefer the convenience of picking up closer to home.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Jays in Portland has E85, so does ForgedFuels on Instagram. With Forgedfuels, you pick it up at his place and it is much cheaper than the VP pricing you posted. Just fill up a 5 Gallon from costal farms and put that into a one gallon when you need to fill up. I don't really think you need it though, I never had Knock Control spike up from 92 octane in Oregon.

Edit: I also have a friend in Woodburn who buys a drum who might sell to you if you prefer the convenience of picking up closer to home.
Hmm interesting does your buddy sell gallons or you gotta buy drums?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My buddy in Woodburn buys a drum for his own personal use. He doesn't sell it per say, but I know he doesn't drive his car much so he might be willing to sell and fill a jug. I also have a guy in Oregon City who does fills, like I said you just buy a 5 gallon jug from costal farms. I use to keep 3-4 jugs on hand personally when I had my Si.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I don't really think you need it though, I never had Knock Control spike up from 92 octane in Oregon.
I know he's not an Si but on TSP Stage 1 for Si I had knock control elevate all the time with pump 92, and it would stay stable at .49 99% of the time with a gallon of E85.

It definitely helps, most tunes target 93 octane but obviously most are "safe" with 91/92 (except TSP stage 1 +).

Now I always grab E85 when I fill up because I've moved to stage 1+ that absolutely requires 93+, so it makes something around 93-94 out of the 92 here.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright guys another post...today this veloster Turbo pulled up on me and wanted to run one I was ahead until 100 and I stopped WOT bc I saw my k.con was @ .98 but once I stopped about 1 min later while @cruising speed it went down to to .83 should I be worried
I have PRL Race Maf Cai filled up on Freddy's 92

Honda Civic 10th gen 1 gallon of e85 20210724_083513

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Non-Si's k.c. will elevate above 5200 rpm like I mentioned before. Your numbers dropped so that's good.

The TSP tune is set up to run on 93 to be at it's best. Just add the gallon of E85. Not sure how many times I can mention this.

OP
OP
Christianjwong

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Non-Si's k.c. will elevate above 5200 rpm like I mentioned before. Your numbers dropped so that's good.

The TSP tune is set up to run on 93 to be at it's best. Just add the gallon of E85. Not sure how many times I can mention this.
Gotchya thank you will do so
Sponsored