1.5T warm-up time

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
I have some doubts about my thermostat working properly

could anyone time their 1.5T motor from the moment you start it to the moment the gauge needle will show up?

I will appreciate two numbers: ambient temperature and time in min/sec

thanks in advance
Sponsored

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's really cold out, you will need to drive it before the temperature gauge shows a mark. If you just idle it, it will be a long time. I've seen my gauge show a mark within a couple of minutes of light driving even in very cold (-10C) weather.

Dezner

First Name
Mikhail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6 Speed
Country flag
Joined the forum just to inquire about this topic. It's about -12C here and I just bought the car. If I let it idle I will never see the temp gauge. I let it idle 15 mins yesterday then drove it 20 mins lightly and the temp gauge was barely showing up. Then when I parked, the temp dropped while idling. The air temp also doesn't really blow that hot if it doesn't reach the proper operating temp. I feel uncomfortable driving when the temp gauge isn't even showing up because it's a turbo engine but it seems I have no choice. Tell me everyone else is having the same issue and it's actually totally normal.

OP
OP
FN2_expat

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
Joined the forum just to inquire about this topic. It's about -12C here and I just bought the car. If I let it idle I will never see the temp gauge. I let it idle 15 mins yesterday then drove it 20 mins lightly and the temp gauge was barely showing up. Then when I parked, the temp dropped while idling. The air temp also doesn't really blow that hot if it doesn't reach the proper operating temp. I feel uncomfortable driving when the temp gauge isn't even showing up because it's a turbo engine but it seems I have no choice. Tell me everyone else is having the same issue and it's actually totally normal.
whoa, and I thought I have a problem

also, Михаил? :)

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
On my older 2016 EX-T and now on my 2017 Si the car usually starts and is sitting at close to 2000 rpm on idle, I don't drive the car until its dropped down to 1000rpm or around there.

Sometimes its colder and it takes a little longer to get there and sometimes it drops pretty quick, I live in California so maybe I don't have the expertise to speak about cold starts here but I usually dont see a temp appear until I've gotten a couple blocks down the road. I imagine in sub zero or close to freezing temps it could take a good 5 minutes to see a bar begin to form on your temp gauge.

10-15 min to see something seems a bit long to me, but I could be wrong, thats just my 2 cents...

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Warming up cars nowadays is driving it lightly to operating temps, not letting it idle. Do not pollute the air, waste gas by idling :(

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
Engine cannot warm up nearly as fast or as much if the HVAC fan is up with the heat on while idling out in the cold! Leave your fan at lowest speed during cold starts and warm-ups!

weigle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Engine cannot warm up nearly as fast or as much if the HVAC fan is up with the heat on while idling out in the cold! Leave your fan at lowest speed during cold starts and warm-ups!
If it's really cold, and you use the Remote Start the fan speed on the heater is really high. Haven't found a way yet to limit this. Anyone know if it's possible to set the max fan speed for remote start?

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
If it's really cold, and you use the Remote Start the fan speed on the heater is really high. Haven't found a way yet to limit this. Anyone know if it's possible to set the max fan speed for remote start?
That's weird... Can you not set it yourself when not in "Auto" mode?

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The temp dropped while idling? Even in cold weather the temp should not drop. You may want to have them check and see if you have a stuck thermostat or if that is normal for where you live. The only time I haven't gotten to operating temp or seen my temp drop on the dash was when my thermostat was stuck or I had a lower temp thermostat than stock.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The temp dropped while idling? Even in cold weather the temp should not drop. You may want to have them check and see if you have a stuck thermostat or if that is normal for where you live. The only time I haven't gotten to operating temp or seen my temp drop on the dash was when my thermostat was stuck or I had a lower temp thermostat than stock.
You are in Arizona, so I don't think you see the kind of temperatures where this would happen. In really cold temps, like -15C, my temperature gauge will drop a little while stopped at a red light. It happens in this Civic, it happened in my old 8th gen Civic.

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra

could anyone time their 1.5T motor from the moment you start it to the moment the gauge needle will show up?

thanks in advance
I don't have any exact numbers for you, although I do have a similar issue...

If the ambient air temperature is less than 32F I will typically.have to drive the car a bit to start to see the temp gauge. Where I live (colorado springs) I drive up and incline about 3 blocks long before it will reach about 1/2 operating temp or 1/4 of the gauge. I then drive another mile or so where my car will get to operating temp or 1/2 way up the gauge. I then turn left into my University where typically I will sit at idle for ~5 minutes waiting for a light or traffic to settle so I may turn

After that time I will look down to check revs (MT) while I release the clutch and notice that I'm back to about 1/2 operating temps.

Weird... Thought it was normal? I have a 92 Integra that had a 2 core radiator and I could see the temp gauge decrease a bit on the highway but never at idle, I also had a 2003 MDX that got to operating temp in ~3 minutes and just never went down or up from there.

I'll tell you what I can do though... I will data log and plot coolant temp/rpm vs time and give you exact numbers to my issue so we may compare.

Best,
Alex

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I always start my car 5 minutes or so before I leave. I turn the heat off, no fans going. I get in the car and drive for a couple minutes and the temp gauge will start climbing. Then I turn the heat on. The car will warm up faster if the heat is off.
My old 8th gen's would drop in temperature at a light in the winter. (Canada). I took a piece of cardboard, cut a few slits in it so some air flow would still get to the rad. Just stuck it in there to block like 90% of the cold air that would hit it. Fixed the problem for me.
Just block the majority of the rad in the winter, will likely solve your issue. Same concept as transports when you see they have the covers on their grilles. Just remember to take it out once it starts getting warm.

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra

thanks in advance
Just tried datalogging it got down to 15F here in Colorado. Seems as though my OBD reader can't pick up temperature sensors for the coolant. It's crazy how cool these things will get in these temperatures.
Sponsored