1.5T warm-up time

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
"I haven’t found a way to limit the fan speed during remote start. So basically, remote start is useless in the cold. Kind of defeats the purpose."

I believe you could cancel the automatic climate control function before powering off the ignition if you anticipate performing a remote start sometime later.

Press the "ON/OFF" button on the climate control system before ignition off and the climate control system will be deactivated until "AUTO" is selected again.

The car's interior won't be warm when you get in but it will warm quickly since the coolant will be warm/hot. If you have frost on the windshield you'll have to wait a bit but at least you'll have warm air available immediately.
I’ll try your suggestion, but in the 'remote start' section, the manual reads as follows:

“the vehicle will automatically activate climate control with a preset temperature of 72°F (22°C).
When it is warm outside:
• The air conditioning is activated in recirculation
mode.
When it is cold outside:
• The defroster is activated at a moderately warm
temperature.
• The rear defogger and door mirror heaters are
activated.”
Sponsored

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Where are you guys driving? The Arctic? It was -20 when I got to the car last night, and it warmed up in less than 5 minutes of city driving.

Last edited:

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Where are you driving? The Arctic? It was -20 when I got to the car last night, and it warmed up in less than 5 minutes of city driving.
Wasn't my experience, post #3 in this thread.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wasn't my experience, post #3 in this thread.
Right, my bad, didn't mean to quote your post. It was more of a general comment to those complaining about the car not warming up in cold weather.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Cvt in these cars is keeping the rpms very low. I think that is half the problem. If your commute is on roads where you're not going above 1500, it will not get very warm. As for temps dropping at an idle, I don't think that is uncommon. This is a very small aluminum block engine and when your heater is on max it will suck the heat out of your engine. I have seen this before on several vehicles. I usually set the fan to half at most.
Remote start is basically useless if your intention is to warm the vehicle. It's best just to start it, clean the windows and go. A few minutes of driving is going to warm it much quicker.
This morning was -24C and the temp gauge was just starting to appear at the 4 minute mark. By approx the 7 or 8min mark the temp was just touching the bottom of the symbol between the cold and hot.
Now that I think, the low compression may also be a reason for the slow warm up. The Mazda3 I'm leasing has very high compression and never had a car that warms up so fast.
I never let my cars idle for long, just for the revs drop under 1000rpms. I leaned these new DI engines are prone to forming carbon deposits when idling.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Right, my bad, didn't mean to quote your post. It was more of a general comment to those complaining about the car not warming up in cold weather.
No problem, but going back to your comment we are driving in the Arctic...air.

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
-13 and lower here lately. The Si takes forever to warm up, sometimes doesn't even get to temperature. Pretty much been like this for every shit 4 banger I have ever had.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
-13 and lower here lately. The Si takes forever to warm up, sometimes doesn't even get to temperature. Pretty much been like this for every shit 4 banger I have ever had.
It's about to get to the 20s starting tomorrow. My MMS is down to 20% on about 3300 miles so far. ALL of the miles have been in temps in the 70s and up with the exception of 60s and 50s now. I changed the FF at 5800 which was run in the summer temps exclusively. Keep in mind, it wanted out in 3000-ish miles but I pushed it to 5800 cause it was the FF with the added moly that you can't get in OTC oils. I should know, I bought some Idemitsu thinking it was high moly and it wasn't, it's just good oil without the moly. Should I be worried about the upcoming 20s and not having changed the oil out. We all know the Civic doesn't run right in the cold cause it can't get warmed up. What I mean by that is the wear and tear is automatic cause the oil temps cannot get to 212F where oil and it's additives can 'go to town' to eliminate wear.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As said before, you have a point. In theory the engines should wear faster at those temps. But it obviously it's not the case, at least not to great extent.
UOA in winter didn't look any worse for wear than in summertime for some up here in Canada.

Last edited:

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
As said before, you have a point. In theory the engines should wear faster at those temps. But it obviously it's not the case, at least not to great extent.
UOA in winter didn't look any worse for wear than in summertime for some up here in Canada.
UOAs base their wear numbers on metals found in the used oil. On a new car, everything is new so the metals aren't going to tell you about wear as much as it is just going to echo what a new car should see happen as far as wear metals go.

Whatever Honda did to make a car that both sounds loud and boorish and doesn't warm up and yet it is invisible in UOAs as far as wear goes, they must have either done a brilliant job or we should see parts failing early (by early, > 100k) as these new civics age.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you are driving a manual. Keep it in 3rd-4th gear running at 2500-3000rpm (just keep out of boost if you are worried)

It'll warm up much faster.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UOAs base their wear numbers on metals found in the used oil. On a new car, everything is new so the metals aren't going to tell you about wear as much as it is just going to echo what a new car should see happen as far as wear metals go.

Whatever Honda did to make a car that both sounds loud and boorish and doesn't warm up and yet it is invisible in UOAs as far as wear goes, they must have either done a brilliant job or we should see parts failing early (by early, > 100k) as these new civics age.
I hope Honda did a great job in making this engine last.
Seeing how this engine is used in larger vehicles, with bigger turbos gave me confidence to buy this car.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are driving a manual. Keep it in 3rd-4th gear running at 2500-3000rpm (just keep out of boost if you are worried)

It'll warm up much faster.
Thanks for the advice. Are you able to warm it up in reasonable time and maintain that in normal driving conditions this time of the year?