1.5T warm-up time

OP
OP
FN2_expat

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
Just tried datalogging it got down to 15F here in Colorado. Seems as though my OBD reader can't pick up temperature sensors for the coolant. It's crazy how cool these things will get in these temperatures.
Alex, thank you very much for your input

my wild guess is that Honda decided to play it very safe with turbo in mind and implemented cooling system with a huge margin
Sponsored

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Joined the forum just to inquire about this topic. It's about -12C here and I just bought the car. If I let it idle I will never see the temp gauge. I let it idle 15 mins yesterday then drove it 20 mins lightly and the temp gauge was barely showing up. Then when I parked, the temp dropped while idling. The air temp also doesn't really blow that hot if it doesn't reach the proper operating temp. I feel uncomfortable driving when the temp gauge isn't even showing up because it's a turbo engine but it seems I have no choice. Tell me everyone else is having the same issue and it's actually totally normal.
I had this same issue this morning. Started my car up for 5 mins, then started driving. It was about -7F this morning. It took almost my whole commute for the temp gauge to go up a few marks. Then when I parked at work and let the car idle, the temp gauge dropped. I thought it was extremely weird as well. I'm glad it's not just me but at the same time it doesn't seem like it should be happening.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
I have some doubts about my thermostat working properly

could anyone time their 1.5T motor from the moment you start it to the moment the gauge needle will show up?

I will appreciate two numbers: ambient temperature and time in min/sec

thanks in advance
i don't know how you guys do it, I would feel as if my car is wearing out it's guts, it's entrails, its internals, each and everytime I start the car. My car operates in hot and humid 7 out of 12 months, maybe 8 or 9 given how warm it has been all year. The winters here consist of temps in the 50s and mostly 60s, even today, as we speak. My OCIs only span 3000 miles in this engine meaning, even in warm weather when the engine and its fuel dilution is the same or better than in the winter nightmare you guys experience, I couldn't imagine how fuel diluted your cars would get when short-tripping or idling a lot which is how I only get 3k, on the nose, for oil change intervals.

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Get a good piece of cardboard from a box or something, cut to size, try and slide it in front of the rad. Cut a few small openings in the cardboard so some air still passes through. Will likely solve your temp/heat issues in the winter. I used to do it when I was out west and it helped the car warm up and the temp didn't drop while waiting at a light. Corrugated plastic is also good if you can find some.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
Get a good piece of cardboard from a box or something, cut to size, try and slide it in front of the rad. Cut a few small openings in the cardboard so some air still passes through. Will likely solve your temp/heat issues in the winter. I used to do it when I was out west and it helped the car warm up and the temp didn't drop while waiting at a light. Corrugated plastic is also good if you can find some.
My thing about fuel dilution is if I can smell gas on the dipstick at < than 3k miles, with MMS at 30%, so roughly 3000 miles at 5 to 0%, when you actually change it, how bad must the winters with negative to 0 degree F be? would the fuel dilution be, in that instance, be a far more grave and dangerous type of fuel dilution, given it dilutes putridly, in extreme cold temps? Ponder that thou.

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Joined the forum just to inquire about this topic. It's about -12C here and I just bought the car. If I let it idle I will never see the temp gauge. I let it idle 15 mins yesterday then drove it 20 mins lightly and the temp gauge was barely showing up. Then when I parked, the temp dropped while idling. The air temp also doesn't really blow that hot if it doesn't reach the proper operating temp. I feel uncomfortable driving when the temp gauge isn't even showing up because it's a turbo engine but it seems I have no choice. Tell me everyone else is having the same issue and it's actually totally normal.

I just talked to my cousin who works for Honda and he said there have been people reporting this issue too. His lead mechanic owns a 2018 Si and has seen this happen as well. They say it's normal.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
I just talked to my cousin who works for Honda and he said there have been people reporting this issue too. His lead mechanic owns a 2018 Si and has seen this happen as well. They say it's normal.
There is a TON of engine wear going on if you car doesn't reach temps though. I am going thru short OCIs in warm as hell weather throughout the year so far, with sub 3000 mile oil changes driven by the MMS. And can smell fuel on oil. Atleast it is just short OCIs due to driving habits and not uncontrolled wear due it never warming up like it is in cold weather which i do not get so far.

Last edited:

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a TON of engine wear going on if you car doesn't reach temps though.
I think the main thing we were worrying about wasn't the slow warm up time. But the temp gauge going down as the car was idling. It was -7F this morning and my commute is about 15mins so I'll chalk it up to the extremely cold temp for the longer warm up time.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
I think the main thing we were worrying about wasn't the slow warm up time. But the temp gauge going down as the car was idling. It was -7F this morning and my commute is about 15mins so I'll chalk it up to the extremely cold temp for the longer warm up time.
But the fact that the temp gauge is going down means you are not staying at a high enough RPM to keep the car at operating temps and wear happens when the engine is cold and not up to temp. The majority or predominant amount of wear is when the engine is cold or not at operating temps.

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But the fact that the temp gauge is going down means you are not staying at a high enough RPM to keep the car at operating temps and wear happens when the engine is cold and not up to temp. The majority or predominant amount of wear is when the engine is cold or not at operating temps.
I understand what you mean and this is the first ever vehicle I've seen this happen in. Let's hope Honda looks into it more because "it's normal" isn't a good enough answer.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
I understand what you mean and this is the first ever vehicle I've seen this happen in. Let's hope Honda looks into it more because "it's normal" isn't a good enough answer.
Not staying at operating temps of 212 F means that you are wearing out the engine or lets just say, experience and unusually high amount of wear and tear just driving 15 miles to work and back. It is totally different from Honda stating that fuel dilution issue is normal for even 25-2800 mile oil change time span or clip for oil changes. Apples and oranges comparison because the temp gauge dipping means instant wear while the fuel dilution is totally controlled and normal.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Only thing to worry about is if the heater works; once the temp gauge reads above the bottom and until it hits the top it is in the "normal" range.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Same issues here and as for fuel in the oil thats true, 3500 miles on Amsoil ss and now shows overfull and strong smell of fuel.....oh well, will be changing this 25000 mile oil in spring.

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a video of me idling this morning. Video is about a minute long but you can see the temp gauge dropping.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
Only thing to worry about is if the heater works; once the temp gauge reads above the bottom and until it hits the top it is in the "normal" range.
Temp gauge (coolant) has nothing to do with engine wear, it is the engine OIL's responsibility to prevent wear and that doesn't happen until after the coolant is fully warm and the oil is fully warm which, under normal conditions, happens somewhere between 20-30 minutes *AFTER* the temp hits normal or continuous driving for 20-30 minutes afterwards. If your temp gauge is dipping, your oil has 0-0-0 chance and is nowhere close to being warm or optimal operating temperature for engine protection. warm oil=good oil, cold oil=wear and tear.
Sponsored

Last edited: