OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I sit at zero ltft with my custom tune from drob without these after market packs. I'm again not trying to be a douche here mind, just saying I want proof. I can provide logs / proof. We need proof and that's it really. I'll buy it with proof.
Oh I feel you. I do like being technical. I’m a analyst by profession so data is my life. Hopefully I figure out why my logs aren’t saving and get hard data.
Sponsored

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
Oh I feel you. I do like being technical. I’m a analyst by profession so data is my life. Hopefully I figure out why my logs aren’t saving and get hard data.

Me too. I work on Jet engines and rockets. I believe in data.

civictx

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I decided to start a thread discussing my experience thus far running Holley MSD ignition coils since there doesn’t seem to be a ton of info about ignition systems for the 1.5L turbo. I made the choice to go with these because research and personal experience suggested a bit more spark could improve your engine performance if you’re running an upgraded intake. It was a cheap buy and easy install. I’ve been using them for about 3 weeks now and can finally reach a good conclusion on how they have affected my car.
A2B2C849-FFF4-4539-9BDE-CBF70C766D36.jpeg

So naturally, the whole point of improving the ignition system is to get more spark and improve the combustion of fuel. This makes sense if you gave a cold air intake because the vehicle is typically dumping more fuel into the cylinder to compensate for the increased airflow. Adding more spark to the equation should improve the burn

These MSD coils advertise 50k maximum volts. They’re intended for the NA 1.5L and 2.0L turbo, but some research revealed these should also fit the 1.5L turbo. As you can see, they fit with no problem. Car starts up immediately and hasn’t had the faintest signs of any issues.

With all that said, these have been a damn nice upgrade. Keep in mind that outside of my intake my eHere’s the improvements I’ve noticed so far:
  • Smoother idle, especially after startup.
  • Faster, more linear acceleration.
  • Deeper more aggressive engine and exhaust note.
  • Improved throttle response.
I made sure to drive a lot and make sure there was no placebo effect. I also cataloged my rpms prior to the install so I could observe any changes. These totally work, no question. My car is a definitely accelerating faster and smoother. It’s not a night and day difference, but rather a slight, but effective improvement you can feel.

Without a dyno it’s hard to say if these added any power, however my butt dyno tells me yes. I would wager 3-5 hp improvement. I’ve yet to check my 0-60 time, but my last best time was 6.5s. I’m eager to see if I can improve on that. For a sub $200 mod, I’m happy with the results thus far. I’ll definitely keep this thread updated should anything change.

voodoo50

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I decided to start a thread discussing my experience thus far running Holley MSD ignition coils since there doesn’t seem to be a ton of info about ignition systems for the 1.5L turbo. I made the choice to go with these because research and personal experience suggested a bit more spark could improve your engine performance if you’re running an upgraded intake. It was a cheap buy and easy install. I’ve been using them for about 3 weeks now and can finally reach a good conclusion on how they have affected my car.
A2B2C849-FFF4-4539-9BDE-CBF70C766D36.jpeg

So naturally, the whole point of improving the ignition system is to get more spark and improve the combustion of fuel. This makes sense if you gave a cold air intake because the vehicle is typically dumping more fuel into the cylinder to compensate for the increased airflow. Adding more spark to the equation should improve the burn

These MSD coils advertise 50k maximum volts. They’re intended for the NA 1.5L and 2.0L turbo, but some research revealed these should also fit the 1.5L turbo. As you can see, they fit with no problem. Car starts up immediately and hasn’t had the faintest signs of any issues.

With all that said, these have been a damn nice upgrade. Keep in mind that outside of my intake my eHere’s the improvements I’ve noticed so far:
  • Smoother idle, especially after startup.
  • Faster, more linear acceleration.
  • Deeper more aggressive engine and exhaust note.
  • Improved throttle response.
I made sure to drive a lot and make sure there was no placebo effect. I also cataloged my rpms prior to the install so I could observe any changes. These totally work, no question. My car is a definitely accelerating faster and smoother. It’s not a night and day difference, but rather a slight, but effective improvement you can feel.

Without a dyno it’s hard to say if these added any power, however my butt dyno tells me yes. I would wager 3-5 hp improvement. I’ve yet to check my 0-60 time, but my last best time was 6.5s. I’m eager to see if I can improve on that. For a sub $200 mod, I’m happy with the results thus far. I’ll definitely keep this thread updated should anything change.
I ran across these the other day but was hesitant to buy because the advertisement only listed them for the 2.0L Type R and the 1.5L Fit. I did try to do limited research on which 1.5L is in the Fit and which is in the Civic Si but it appeared to be two different engine/tunes. I think I'll purchase a set and install them on my 2019 Civic Si Sedan. Have you had any issues since install?

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
What was the cause wanting to do this? Your stock coils have tons of voltage to jump a major gap. It takes on average 10,000 or so volts to jump the spark gap on stock plugs with the fuel and compression taken into consideration. That oem coil has an available voltage of close to 40,000 volts and will never have an issue jumping that gap. Take your oem coil and put a spark tester on it and set it to half an inch and watch it jump with a bright blue spark. Changing your coil to a different one will have a negligible difference in operation of the vehicle

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ran across these the other day but was hesitant to buy because the advertisement only listed them for the 2.0L Type R and the 1.5L Fit. I did try to do limited research on which 1.5L is in the Fit and which is in the Civic Si but it appeared to be two different engine/tunes. I think I'll purchase a set and install them on my 2019 Civic Si Sedan. Have you had any issues since install?
No issues since the install. I’m now about 5k miles on these and my engine is still feeling very strong.

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What was the cause wanting to do this? Your stock coils have tons of voltage to jump a major gap. It takes on average 10,000 or so volts to jump the spark gap on stock plugs with the fuel and compression taken into consideration. That oem coil has an available voltage of close to 40,000 volts and will never have an issue jumping that gap. Take your oem coil and put a spark tester on it and set it to half an inch and watch it jump with a bright blue spark. Changing your coil to a different one will have a negligible difference in operation of the vehicle
I did it almost purely out of curiosity. I’ve seen instances in the past of engines running a little smoother on different coil/plug set ups, so I wanted to experiment and see if it yielded any results. I agree the difference is virtually negligible. I just like doing small incremental mods to improve the efficiency and smoothness of my car rather than going straight for ECU tunes. I’m in the process of gapping down my plugs after installing a new intercooler. I’m thinking about swapping the coils between OE and MSD to see if I can notice a difference.

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
I did it almost purely out of curiosity. I’ve seen instances in the past of engines running a little smoother on different coil/plug set ups, so I wanted to experiment and see if it yielded any results. I agree the difference is virtually negligible. I just like doing small incremental mods to improve the efficiency and smoothness of my car rather than going straight for ECU tunes. I’m in the process of gapping down my plugs after installing a new intercooler. I’m thinking about swapping the coils between OE and MSD to see if I can notice a difference.
Nothing wrong with that! From a performance stand point it would be hard to justify but having another product to run for coils is still awesome! Just the stock coils will be plenty powerful for any performance that your wanting to add to these cars, now from a price point they seem to be way cheaper then the oem coils so if you do have your stock ones go out these seem to be a cost effective solution to getting new coils! And for ecu tunes the tsp stage one with ktuner is a great set up for getting more out of these engines too

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nothing wrong with that! From a performance stand point it would be hard to justify but having another product to run for coils is still awesome! Just the stock coils will be plenty powerful for any performance that your wanting to add to these cars, now from a price point they seem to be way cheaper then the oem coils so if you do have your stock ones go out these seem to be a cost effective solution to getting new coils! And for ecu tunes the tsp stage one with ktuner is a great set up for getting more out of these engines too
I go back and forth so much on when deciding if I want to tune. If I did, I would probably just keep it pretty basic to take advantage of my intake and intercooler. But I honestly don’t feel like I’m wanting for power right now. I ran with a 2012 Porsche 911 through some canyons just yesterday and while he definitely blew my doors off, I was able to surprise him a couple of times and forced him to put me in my place lol. My wife also have an M2 Competition 6MT if I just get the need for speed, so it leaves me less inclined to tune the Civic. As a daily it’s doing everything I ask of it.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you have to modify the connector on either side to get them to plug in? They are not listed as a direct fit for the 1.5T.

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you have to modify the connector on either side to get them to plug in? They are not listed as a direct fit for the 1.5T.
No. It’s a tight fit since the grooves for the connector are slightly different, but they went in with no modification.

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
mine's quite far apart sadly & i have seen some reported same problem.
is OP's like in pictured below ?

side by side
1610473482083.png

original
1610473494866.png

msd
1610473597561.png
I’ll take a look when I work on my car today. I’m pretty sure it was similar for me, but they didn’t seem to have much resistance going on.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’ll take a look when I work on my car today. I’m pretty sure it was similar for me, but they didn’t seem to have much resistance going on.
pic would help side by side if possible, i don't wanna break anything but will try to get them to fit & dyno results compared to stock when the restricted movement control order ends in my country next 2 weeks.
much TIA :)

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
pic would help side by side if possible, i don't wanna break anything but will try to get them to fit & dyno results compared to stock when the restricted movement control order ends in my country next 2 weeks.
much TIA :)
Dyno, huh?! That will be nice to get some hard data on these. I’ve been wanting to do this, but I got no shops near me for testing.
Sponsored