Reaction score
Website
www.avgntrials.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I recently put some on my car as well. Seems to run different (I can't honestly tell if it's running better or worse, but it does feel different and my knock seems stable). I have my OEM ones in the truck with a socket just in case lol. I am taking my car on a 1000-mile road trip in a few weeks, so if anything happens I'll update it here.
Sponsored

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I installed these tonight alongside some NGK Ruthenium plugs. I am keeping the stock coils in the car for the moment, but will report back if I have any issues.

Very quick install and they look great in the engine bay.

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did anyone get around to the dyno tuning? I read talk about it a year ago it looks, but all I am seeing on here is seat of pants feelings. My car feels faster when I wash and wax it up.

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
Would be interested in dyno numbers before black friday sales roll around lol

Anyone know what the dwell times are between the CTR and SI ? I figure they are close enough since some people have 5k miles on it. @KTuner

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Some of if not all of the fastest Hondas use stock honda coils. There is no way the factory coils are that bad that they need to be replaced and that it would make any difference at all. Especially on a stock to basic bolt on civic si. Most people want there to be a performance advantage so it "feels" like an improvement but there is none at all. There is no more powerful spark that will somehow make more power in these motors, doesn't work that way.

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Some of if not all of the fastest Hondas use stock honda coils. There is no way the factory coils are that bad that they need to be replaced and that it would make any difference at all. Especially on a stock to basic bolt on civic si. Most people want there to be a performance advantage so it "feels" like an improvement but there is none at all. There is no more powerful spark that will somehow make more power in these motors, doesn't work that way.
This is why people shouldn’t worry about dynos and all that. At best in a perfect world maybe you get 3 hp. Nothing that would make the least amount of difference so there’s no point in bothering. To me, the car just feels more responsive and makes the idle smoother while also looking good in the engine bay. That’s enough for me.

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So basically, spend money on things that actually make a difference, instead or risking reliability, or having to change a coil out on the side of the highway. That sounds good to me.

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So basically, spend money on things that actually make a difference, instead or risking reliability, or having to change a coil out on the side of the highway. That sounds good to me.
Any mod is a matter of this. Always consider what your goal is, what your expectations are, and if the time/money you spend is worth it. For me, it was money well spent. A year on now and everything has been good with zero issues. That may not be the case for someone else with different expectations and an entirely different build.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
This is why people shouldn’t worry about dynos and all that. At best in a perfect world maybe you get 3 hp. Nothing that would make the least amount of difference so there’s no point in bothering. To me, the car just feels more responsive and makes the idle smoother while also looking good in the engine bay. That’s enough for me.
It's not changing the idle and it's not any smoother. It's not even at best making .001 more horsepower. Factory coils will ignite any and all a/f that can be combusted. It's the nature of a coil and no different brand can make any difference. It's all in your head trust me. If you want the looks and questionable reliability, go for it. But for the people reading this thinking it will help, they need to know it's a waste of money.

OP
OP
Feddy_Ace

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not changing the idle and it's not any smoother. It's not even at best making .001 more horsepower. Factory coils will ignite any and all a/f that can be combusted. It's the nature of a coil and no different brand can make any difference. It's all in your head trust me. If you want the looks and questionable reliability, go for it. But for the people reading this thinking it will help, they need to know it's a waste of money.
I appreciate the effort to keep people from potentially wasting their money on something, but trust that I’ve done my due diligence. I’ve switched back and forth between the stock coils and MSD coils more than a few times. You can look back through this forum an I’ve been honest about what I see and even have advised some people not to buy these based on what they’re going for. It’s not like I’ve been saying they make a world of difference and will give you 20 extra HP and make you irresistible for women.

I tested to see if they work with the engine out of pure curiosity. They do. I checked to see if there was any noted difference from stock. There is, but it’s marginal. Most people that tried them agreed with what I said. Does anyone need them? Definitely not. Do they hurt your car? I’ve used them for over a year and I’m tuned. Zero issues. Someone else had a failure, but far it’s only been that one person.

Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions from there.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Bring a old thread back to life. Bought these after my tuner sugested it after a bigger turbo install. The stronger spark has stoped my misfires due to the factory spark not being strong enough with the plug gap selected. Problem fixed. I will report back on miles

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I just installed mine today. Purchased from twostepperformance. I am running 27won intercooler with prl cobra and added these. Ive been told a dynod 1.5 with these and intercooler provided and extra 20 hp with no tune so each vehicle varies but im not sold on tune yet playing it safe for now will keep oems in trunk. Also my box says made in china not mexico. However the idle is smoother and the engine seems a little happier not as dull but thats just what I feel. I drive this car every day as its my only car so I would deff notice if it felt a bit diff

Honda Civic 10th gen (1.5T) Solid results from MSD Blaster Ignition Coils 5B5DC9AB-0343-483F-9ABB-5131C098E5C9

Honda Civic 10th gen (1.5T) Solid results from MSD Blaster Ignition Coils 1E14A77F-F622-44FD-9972-9A433E3B0D80

Last edited: