1.5T rough idle (feels almost like misfire)

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
^lol

My car doesnt idle low though. Its always right around 750.

Its been behaving pretty well lately. Im wondering if it was related to the colder weather, because its been pretty warm here in FL again recently.
Sponsored

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
93 octane Shell most of the time...filled up at a Mobil tonight, gonna try a few tanks from a newer station to see if that makes any difference...

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
if your that sensitive about your engine try TC-W3 oil in your fuel one ounce to five gallons, you'll like that. I've run 7k straight and 61k straight in my other car...alot of people do I'm not a pioneer with this.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Focus ST has a serious idle dip issue, eventually stalls the car in hot weather with high A/C load. They don't have a fix for it

Albin Biju

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Yeah I drive a 2016 EX-L Sedan and the car vibrates a lot to the point where the passenger seats start shaking. At first it wasn't that bad or noticeable but later on it seems like it's getting worse, I really didn't know what's going on but then I realized whenever I turn the A/C on it has a smooth idle but when I turn it off the entire front half of the interior starts shaking. Idk it's slowly becoming a big concern for me and my cars only 8,100 miles.
Since day 1 of having this car (2017 Sport 6MT) I've felt the idle to be quite unsteady. I dont mind the vibration from the engine, however it seems the motor is not idling smoothly like it should. Sometimes there is just enough of a dip in RPM to register on the tach every few seconds. Other times it feels like its running on just 3 cylinders. This is with A/C off, any load on the motor or the compressor being on and it smooths out. It feels like a 4 cylinder with a weak/dying injector...just a really soft miss.

I took it today for its first oil change @ 5,600 miles, and talked to a tech/service advisor about this issue. The tech told me that the 1.5t cars will shut down one cylinder at idle under low load conditions. While this would explain the issue, I havent heard anything about turning individual cylinders off on these motors at all. I also find it hard to believe they would even do that on a 4 cylinder as they already vibrate alot as it is.

Has anyone else heard anything about that, or perhaps experienced the same idle condition?

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a Civic with 11,000 miles and the car idles at roughly 600 RPMs. The car vibrates but is not a dramatic vibration. Currently I'm running a HID kit for my headlight so im not sure if thats the reason as to why my car idles so low. Its an annoying issue but not annoying enough to where I had to visit the dealership. Turning on the headlights or AC brings idle back up slightly.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I have a Civic with 11,000 miles and the car idles at roughly 600 RPMs. The car vibrates but is not a dramatic vibration. Currently I'm running a HID kit for my headlight so im not sure if thats the reason as to why my car idles so low. Its an annoying issue but not annoying enough to where I had to visit the dealership. Turning on the headlights or AC brings idle back up slightly.
I idle at 700rpm. Mine is a 17 civic with a m/t.. About 2k miles... Curious on if it will go down..

Nicklo2017HB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX hatchback
Since day 1 of having this car (2017 Sport 6MT) I've felt the idle to be quite unsteady. I dont mind the vibration from the engine, however it seems the motor is not idling smoothly like it should. Sometimes there is just enough of a dip in RPM to register on the tach every few seconds. Other times it feels like its running on just 3 cylinders. This is with A/C off, any load on the motor or the compressor being on and it smooths out. It feels like a 4 cylinder with a weak/dying injector...just a really soft miss.

I took it today for its first oil change @ 5,600 miles, and talked to a tech/service advisor about this issue. The tech told me that the 1.5t cars will shut down one cylinder at idle under low load conditions. While this would explain the issue, I havent heard anything about turning individual cylinders off on these motors at all. I also find it hard to believe they would even do that on a 4 cylinder as they already vibrate alot as it is.

Has anyone else heard anything about that, or perhaps experienced the same idle condition?
My same engine in my CVT Hb LX also seems to slightly idle a little rougher than I'd expect for a new vehicle. I've never heard that it shuts down a cylinder but does anyone know that this is a feature of the turbo? Thanks

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its never been mentioned anywhere, and seems implausible, so Id say no, its not..

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at this closely when I had my Flashpro menus open this weekend. It starts vibrating when the rpm drops below 650, mine usually sits at 700-750 but will get in little moods and stay between 610-630 and that's where it vibrates. Only in gear, always idles fine in N or P.

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How accurate is the tachometer compared to the flashpro logs?

My car never dips below 750 on the tach. (its also a 6 speed)

Im beginning to notice the idle is roughest when:

-Car fully warmed up
-Just idled down after a long stretch of cruising at 50+mph
-Outside temp below 70*

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
My same engine in my CVT Hb LX also seems to slightly idle a little rougher than I'd expect for a new vehicle. I've never heard that it shuts down a cylinder but does anyone know that this is a feature of the turbo? Thanks
What is a feature? Shutting down A cylinder? No... That would have been a major press release from honda.. The dealer that said that and the tech should be fired.. Thats a blatant lie imho....

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
When I took it in for the recent recall issue, my dealer said the new software should fix it. It did for about a day. It does not happen all the time now; but when it does, the passenger seat vibrates and creates a rattling noise.
I have the exact same issue. I don't remember this happening in the first year of owning the car, now it's happening on every long drive, every day.
Duplicated the issue for the head foreman at my local dealer. They re-torqued the seat bolts so I don't hear the rattling anymore. This is what it sounded like before.

The shaking is most noticeable after the engine is fully warm, in cold conditions.
I zoomed in on the revs - you can see they are just over 600 - can I ask my dealer to raise the idle rev level? Or do I have to buy a tuner and do it myself?

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're going to need a tuner for that unless you find a really cool tech I'd imagine. Not sure if its even possible with the Honda software though.

I ended up getting a Ktuner for mine, and noticed the idle number was a bit lower than the gauge...750 on the tach was more like 650 actually. I bumped the a/c off idle up to 850 and its alot smoother. You can still feel a bit of shake but I guess its the soft mounts and 4cyl characteristics..

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Rough idle? Lol I feel like we’re talkimg about my 97 civic I just got rid of. Lol here’s what I had to do on it. Replaced spark plugs, no go. Added fuel injector cleaner, go then no go. Removed throttle body and cleaned out idle air control valve, go for a bit then no go. Increased idle, go until in drive in hot weather. Vibration was a broken motor mount. So check all the motor mount bolts and confirm none of them are broken and just chillin in the holes. Rough idle ended up being cracked manifold which we replaced. Unfortunately I bought a new car but my 97 was idling for an hour and no stalls or rough idles.
Sponsored