OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Was searching around for a little bit to see what these cars run....performance wise. Just me being curious. Here's an example of a nicely put together supercharged 9th gen running in the 1/4 mile.
He ran two 13.9's and a 13.6 in the 1/4 mile with impressive trap speeds. He was putting down 310whp too and 245wtq. Dunno what around town drivability is like but I imagine it's nice.

Just sharing some numbers with you. ;)
This guy wants me off civicx so badly :p

310 wheel doesn't seem like much though to be honest. That must be doable on a 10th gen si with an upgraded turbo.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This guy wants me off civicx so badly :p

310 wheel doesn't seem like much though to be honest. That must be doable on a 10th gen si with an upgraded turbo.
? No, not at all my friend. I am genuinely interested in what this setup is capable of doing with the power it makes. Not due to interest in purchasing one. Just browsing in case I end up against one at the track. Looks like fun though. :drive:

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Did you install the kit yourself or was it done at a shop? Supercharged 9th gen is very intriguing if the numbers workout.
I think I payed about $1200 for install. Check around with shops familiar with modifications.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was searching around for a little bit to see what these cars run....performance wise. Just me being curious. Here's an example of a nicely put together supercharged 9th gen running in the 1/4 mile.
He ran two 13.9's and a 13.6 in the 1/4 mile with impressive trap speeds. He was putting down 310whp too and 245wtq. Dunno what around town drivability is like but I imagine it's nice.

Just sharing some numbers with you. ;)
310whp is surprisingly low. My 8th gen makes more than that.
Driveability is amazing. Absolutely no lag. Kinda hits me every time I switch cars.
Also the K sound is very pleasing.
Fuel economy isn't as good though...

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I still wish we could get a definitive answer on the rods situation we were discussing a while back.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/1-5t-non-si-vs-1-5t-si.60746/post-973952

I mean if what Eman told that guy is accurate, tuners and owners of the hatchbacks need to know that they can't push things as hard as they thought. This is kind of a big deal (if true).

Personally I still find it hard to believe Honda would put the Si rods in the sedan and coupe but not the hatchback.

I reached out to JR at KTuner to see if he can shed some light on this. I'll post what I find out from him.

Last edited:

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I still wish we could get a definitive answer on the rods situation we were discussing a while back.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/1-5t-non-si-vs-1-5t-si.60746/post-973952

I mean if what Eman told that guy is accurate, tuners and owners of the hatchbacks need to know that they can't push things as hard as they thought.

Personally I still find it hard to believe Honda would put the Si rods in the sedan and coupe but not the hatchback.
Same here. In case is true, it'd be interesting to know if it stayed consistent through the years or it varied between models or trims...
He also mentioned cylinder heads being different. I'm not that knowledgeable, but don't they dramatically influence FE?

Could be that the stronger rods have more mass, off course, so a better designed cylinder head is needed in order to achieve same FE and power?

It would be nice to have a dyno done for two cars that supposedly have different rods but same specs. Same dyno, same day, not too big difference in mileage... How would that turn out???

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It doesn't matter. From the factory, the 5PA (Si) rods are rated for 205hp and the 59B (hatch) rods are rated for 180hp.

If the sedan and coupes make 174hp, it doesn't matter which rods they got. Both "meet spec". This only has any bearing once you're tuned and pushing significantly more power than stock.

The only way to get an answer seems to be to tear it down.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Same here. In case is true, it'd be interesting to know if it stayed consistent through the years or it varied between models or trims...
He also mentioned cylinder heads being different. I'm not that knowledgeable, but don't they dramatically influence FE?

Could be that the stronger rods have more mass, off course, so a better designed cylinder head is needed in order to achieve same FE and power?

It would be nice to have a dyno done for two cars that supposedly have different rods but same specs. Same dyno, same day, not too big difference in mileage... How would that turn out???
The reason you see Si on FBO upgraded turbo and flex put down around 350 whp vs a non Si with around 300 whp on the same set up is the fueling, which is yes, attached to the head. The Si has different injectors, hpfp, hpfp hardline and intake cam.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The reason you see Si on FBO upgraded turbo and flex put down around 350 whp vs a non Si with around 300 whp on the same set up is the fueling, which is yes, attached to the head. The Si has different injectors, hpfp, hpfp hardline and intake cam.
I think people interpreted your comment as the base sedans having a better cylinder head than the hatch which I don't think is the case.

As I said earlier,

Si = better rods and upgraded head
Sedan/coupe = better rods and base head
Hatch = worse rods and base head

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But if the hatches do indeed have weaker rods, shouldn't the pro tuners be creating tunes pushing a bit less power/torque to those vehicles for reliability sake? Or at the least moving the torque curve a bit to the right for the hatches?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
But if the hatches do indeed have weaker rods, shouldn't the pro tuners be creating tunes pushing a bit less power/torque to those vehicles for reliability sake?
You'd think so, unless it's a "lowest common denominator" approach where if it's designed with the worse case in mind it's safe for the better rods.

My little summary above is just based on the info being provided here, just btw. I trust Eman but I'd like to get confirmation elsewhere too.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But as you know we have one of the most well respected 10th gen tuners saying ALL non-Si's get the weaker rods. I know a lot of folks are assuming Eman's info is correct but I sure would like to hear from Derek again.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You'd think so, unless it's a "lowest common denominator" approach where if it's designed with the worse case in mind it's safe for the better rods.

My little summary above is just based on the info being provided here, just btw. I trust Eman but I'd like to get confirmation elsewhere too.
I mean I trust him too but I try not to dwell too much on it since the Si rods sucks too anyway, it just sucks less. I have a Type R retrofit appointment this Saturday, I'll try to ask more about his findings.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But as you know we have of he most well respected 10th gen tuners saying ALL non-Si's get the weaker rods. I know a lot of folks are assuming Eman's info is correct but I sure would like to hear from Derek again.
They're both well respected but you have to take in to account what who does for a living. I wouldn't question his findings the fact he's tore down more L15B blocks than anyone we know of.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They're both well respected but you have to take in to account what who does for a living. I wouldn't question his findings the fact he's tore down more L15B blocks than anyone we know of.
This entire thread you've been getting on my case for simply stating the fact that we've all thought the non-Si rods were weaker. D-Rob included.

I'm not close minded to Eman being correct and Derek being mistaken but again, if true about the hatches, I think it's a big deal.
Sponsored