OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
If that's true, I don't understand Honda's login in putting the weaker rods in the hatchback. The hatchback sport actually has more power (Ik, only 6 more hp) compared to the other non-si 1.5t's. Idk how to explain that.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Well here's some fuel to the fire. I was looking over the failures list from my community tuning reliability thread.

Non-Si's have had 12 major failures. But 6 of those were CVT failures. Only 6 had bent rods.

Now here's the shitkicker...

5 of the 6 bent rod failures were in the hatchbacks.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Well here's some fuel to the fire. I was looking over the failures list from my community tuning reliability thread.

Non-Si's have had 12 major failures. But 6 of those were CVT failures. Only 6 had bent rods.

What is the body-style ratio for Non-Si respondents in your survey?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

I had a feeling that was gonna be the result when I asked you to check the splits. Small sample size but that's crazy.

Worth considering that more people may tune hatchbacks though. Sedan and coupe people already had the Si option if they wanted mo powa.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is the body-style ratio for Non-Si respondents in your survey?
I don't have that compiled, only by model. There are hundreds of pages I'd manually have to go through. Are you volunteering to help with that? ;)

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a random guess but I tend to see alot more heavily modified 1.5T hatches than 1.5T non-si sedan/coupes.

Also iirc, of the CVT transmission, only the Touring models for the non-Si Sedan and Coupes along with the Sport and Sport Touring models get the pedal shifters which somewhat allows for an actual dyno tune. So that helps skew things more towards hatches as the Sport Hatch is alot cheaper than Touring.

A lot of the Honda parts websites do tend to be inaccurate at times with part #s so we can never be sure from them.

As for different rods, perhaps its just a year change deal or supplier thing?

I know that between even model years of like a 2017 or 2018 or 2018 and 2019 there are tiny minor parts differences. Example look at the plastic bumper reinforcements for the front and rear bumpers and also the rubber cover thing in the windshield. Different between the model years and its design.

Could've just been a minor tweak to things/supply issue/distributor issue/etc...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a random guess but I tend to see alot more heavily modified 1.5T hatches than 1.5T non-si sedan/coupes.
I think that's very accurate. I did a rough glance at my survey using the search engine and it looks like only maybe 1/3 of the non-Si's are hatches. Many more sedans. Which make sense simply for the fact so many more sedans are sold.

But, like you said, percentage-wise more hatches are heavily modified with full bolt ons so that would skew things.

Still though, if the rod change was a supplier or model year change, isn't it odd that the hatches wouldn't get the same better rods?

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
A lot of the Honda parts websites do tend to be inaccurate at times with part #s so we can never be sure from them.

As for different rods, perhaps its just a year change deal or supplier thing?
I also did ask about that model year changes. Eman basically told me that even before 2019+ showed 5PA rods on non si L15B7 they have had 5PA rods equipped this whole time before the part number updates. I just chose to drop it there obviously, I'm not gonna argue with the guy who has tore down L15 engines more than anyone. lol
Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T Non Si vs 1.5T Si 1615998283573

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
N
220 to the wheels would still be a huge bump for my current car so there's that. How does a tuned hatch compare to a 9th gen si? The 9th gens go for just a bit cheaper than the turbo hatchbacks in my area, but I guess the turbo would be far better in terms of power potential.
Not sure if you still consider it but if you plan modding I'd definitely go for the 9th gen Si.
Forget about iffy/risky 250Hp goals. A nice supercharger kit will give you 380 reliable Hp with infinitely better driveability. Shifter is also amazing.
K engine is truly a nice sounding gem.
Drawbacks are looks and less steering feel.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
N

Not sure if you still consider it but if you plan modding I'd definitely go for the 9th gen Si.
Forget about iffy/risky 250Hp goals. A nice supercharger kit will give you 380 reliable Hp with infinitely better driveability. Shifter is also amazing.
K engine is truly a nice sounding gem.
Drawbacks are looks and less steering feel.
I did consider this, but I don't think anyone makes the supercharger kits for the 9th gens anymore. If they do and I can for sure consider a 9th gen. Any idea how much an install would cost? I don't think I'd be comfortable installing one on my own.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did consider this, but I don't think anyone makes the supercharger kits for the 9th gens anymore. If they do and I can for sure consider a 9th gen. Any idea how much an install would cost? I don't think I'd be comfortable installing one on my own.
https://hardmotion.com/shop/boost/c...ger-kit-for-2012-2015-civic-si-9th-gen-k24z7/

https://mercracing.net/shop/mr1900-tvs-supercharger-kit-complete-package/

Welp....it's been nice knowing you @OilChange123 ?

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Reactions: Myx

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
l'd buy one based on a Rotrex charger.
https://kraftwerksusa.com/150-05-1351.html

I have one on my CSX Type S. Chose it because it not too rough on the tranny.
Not as much torque down as the other options but with the 2.4l. engine should be fine.
I'm surprised to see it rated at 330Hp only. I'm pretty sure people were reporting much more than that...

Lots of info here https://www.9thgencivic.com/threads/the-official-kraftwerks-sc-q-a-guide.136385/
For sure there must be threads for the other kits on that site...

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
l'd buy one based on a Rotrex charger.
https://kraftwerksusa.com/150-05-1351.html

I have one on my CSX Type S. Chose it because it not too rough on the tranny.
Not as much torque down as the other options but with the 2.4l. engine should be fine.
I'm surprised to see it rated at 330Hp only. I'm pretty sure people were reporting much more than that...

Lots of info here https://www.9thgencivic.com/threads/the-official-kraftwerks-sc-q-a-guide.136385/
For sure there must be threads for the other kits on that site...
Did you install the kit yourself or was it done at a shop? Supercharged 9th gen is very intriguing if the numbers workout.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you install the kit yourself or was it done at a shop? Supercharged 9th gen is very intriguing if the numbers workout.
Was searching around for a little bit to see what these cars run....performance wise. Just me being curious. Here's an example of a nicely put together supercharged 9th gen running in the 1/4 mile.
He ran two 13.9's and a 13.6 in the 1/4 mile with impressive trap speeds. He was putting down 310whp too and 245wtq. Dunno what around town drivability is like but I imagine it's nice.

Just sharing some numbers with you. ;)
Sponsored