shan0mak

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
My guess is they used hatches and sedans as beta testers. But the thing is, those tests won't really give a clue in terms of long term reliability and stress.

That's where something like my tuning reliability survey thread becomes valuable.
@phearable has said here a few times they really beat on their personal CVT in testing, just curious what it was.
Sponsored

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have a 2017 2.0 at the moment and I'm planning to get rid of it towards the end of the year for a 1.5T in a manual. I've done some research on this forum and found out that the internals of the non si 1.5t are not as strong as the Si internals. I wasn't aware of this before and was under the assumptions that they're basically the same engine, but with a different turbo. Whichever one I get plan to modify and my goal would be around 240-250 whp. Is that sustainable on a the non si 1.5t given I drive almost 30,000km per year? Generally, I drive like a grandma, but I will have some aggressive bursts here and there and maybe a couple of races here and there. I don't plan on doing any sort of tracking or autox in this car.

I would normally just go for the Si, but the sport hatchback with the 6mt is right within my price range whereas the Si is about $2500 more than I would ideally like to spend. Further, the hatchback looks far better and I really want a hatchback.

So in your opinion, with my power goals, would you suggest going for the Si with the stronger internals or am I okay sticking with the hatchback?

BTW I'm in Canada, so the hatchback isn't as barebones as it is down in the states.
F no a hatchback doesn't look better than an Si.

Nazeem

Banned
Banned
First Name
Nazeem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
F no a hatchback doesn't look better than an Si.
Hatchback put on type R wings and they have weaker rods than a base 1.5 sedan ??? true ricers

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
I have a 2017 Hatchback Sport 6MT and have been using the Hondata +9 psi tune for the better half of a year and I love it. Right now I'm making around 220 whp but my power goals are 250-275 whp. Nothing too insane but I feel like it's a safe goal. I considered the Si as well but went with the HB Sport because it was cheaper, I love the way it looks, and I didn't want another coupe (I'm not a fan of how the sedan looks). My friend has a stock 2018 Si Coupe and I've beat him in a few races (granted he's not the best driver either), and my boss has a 2019 Si coupe, and while I've never beat him in a race, it's always neck and neck. I'm making much more torque than he is so from a standstill I think I would have the edge. All in all, would an Si have been nice to have? Absolutely. Heated seats, mirrors, the moonroof and sport mode would have been wonderful, but with the hatch I get so much more room, and it just looks so good. I love my car so much and don't regret it at all.
Update: I traded in my Hatchback Sport for a 2018 Si Coupe and holy crap was I missing out lol. The driving difference is night and day. I've never really driven an Si and always thought my Hatch was faster than a stock one just based on numbers and racing my friend. From 1st-3rd it was but 4th it always fell on its face. Well lemme tell ya, hitting 4th gear in a stock Si, the thing just keeps pulling. I agree the Hatchback has the best side profile but the coupe looks damn good as well, and I'm so happy I upgraded.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: I traded in my Hatchback Sport for a 2018 Si Coupe and holy crap was I missing out lol. The driving difference is night and day. I've never really driven an Si and always thought my Hatch was faster than a stock one just based on numbers and racing my friend. From 1st-3rd it was but 4th it always fell on its face. Well lemme tell ya, hitting 4th gear in a stock Si, the thing just keeps pulling. I agree the Hatchback has the best side profile but the coupe looks damn good as well, and I'm so happy I upgraded.

Awesome! You could also just put on a used Si turbo on a hatchback too. You'll pull just as much if not more than a manual trannied Si. So I've heard. :p

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Awesome! You could also just put on a used Si turbo on a hatchback too. You'll pull just as much if not more than a manual trannied Si. So I've heard. :p
That's true. An Si turbo on the hatch will pull harder than the Si will. However my reasons for trading up to an Si go beyond just speed. Tuning reliability is a big thing and the hatches have the weakest rods out of the 10th gen lineup, so that was something I don't have to worry too much about in the Si. That and I wanted the heated seats, moonroof, stiffer suspension, sport mode and the head unit. I miss the space of the hatch but I don't regret getting the Si at all
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx