ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Blackstone doesn’t measure fuel diltuion, they estimate it. And they are wrong most of the time. Known fact. Viscosity being that low you’re looking at 5%+ fuel dilution
What do you think about running something like M1 0W40 Euro Formula to combat the loss of viscosity? I think Quaker State also has a good 0W40 or 30 full synthetic under their Ultimate Durability line.
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
What do you think about running something like M1 0W40 Euro Formula to combat the loss of viscosity? I think Quaker State also has a good 0W40 or 30 full synthetic under their Ultimate Durability line.
No worries going that route. There are few members on BITOG running 40weigh in their 1.5. I personally run 5w30 amsoil. You can go with valvoline 5w30 which is close to heavy 20 weight to get you some cushion. But in general, heavier oil will not prevent or reduce fuel dilution.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is well documented in the CR-V community with the 1.5T engine. Enough that Honda was reportedly making adjustments to certain operational parameters of cold-climate CR-Vs to aggressively burn excess fuel that would otherwise "drip" and collect in the engine oil. It was initially written off as normal operation for a DI engine.

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
Don't. Honda tested their engine at range greater than -20-130F. It is designed to run 0w-20 partial or full synthetic. This oil is basically lubricating water, nothing like conventional if that's what you're used to. The 5w-30 conventional in my old Civic would come out thick and dark after 3,000mi until I switched to synthetic - then even after 5,000mi still came out clean and thin. Synthetic does smell a bit like gas given it is so thin, and if you're in an enclosed space, that smell is going to be more prominent. If you're concerned, send off a sample of your oil for processing to ensure significant fuel isn't getting into your oil pan (I can provide a source if you're interested).

I'm at about 6,600mi showing 15%, and have two weeks until the oil is a year old. I purchased a jug of Idemitsu full synthetic 0w-20 ($24), a NAPA Platinum filter (3 for $36 w shipping/tax) for my change, as well as a magnetic drain plug replacement ($15). I've also got a container to send my oil off for review to compare when I change again next August.
You got a good Source for an Oil Analysis Lab? Thanks!

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
u can use 0w30 or 5w30 no problem in this engine... this is a page from
european manual that comes with the car, i am using castrol edge titanium professional 0w-30 all year round with 4500miles betwen changes and i think engine likes this oil better
than shell 0w20 that dealer put in...

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T, first oil change at 6500 miles, oil smells like fuel, flows like water oil-
Sponsored