dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Whats the reasoning behind replacing the head studs but not the gasket?
From what I've seen, its not really the head gasket that fails first but the head itself lifting. Which is remedied by stronger head studs.
Sponsored

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what I've seen, its not really the head gasket that fails first but the head itself lifting. Which is remedied by stronger head studs.
Gotcha, what power levels have been seen causing head lift?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Gotcha, what power levels have been seen causing head lift?
A combination of 27-28 psi and brake boosting. I always have to ask about that last part when they make a video about head gasket issues.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A combination of 27-28 psi and brake boosting. I always have to ask about that last part when they make a video about head gasket issues.
Well, 21 PSI on basemaps did the trick for me, running FBO. No flexfuel. it was probably the fact that I maxed it out quite often on the highway for prolonged time periods. Didnt do any "brake boosting" but I did go flat out for over 2 minutes at 104F ambient temp over and over and over again. This kind of driving went on for over a year before the OEM studs gave up and the head finally lifted burning the head gasket.

Now I am rebuilding using OEM parts unfortunately as its my daily and I need it asap. Cant get "overnight parts from Japan" (or the USA for that matter) :p

I do want to built a spare engine and keep my current one stock "just in case" but you would not believe the parts cost in Europe. Its about 70% more expensive than the USA plus the lead time is ridiculous. In case of OEM parts, cost is 100% up in comparison to the USA.
Sponsored