deitle

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
After two blown motors, I think it's time for a built engine. And I figured while the car is down to just send the whole built powertrain. The issue is I've never built an engine or trans before so i was hoping somebody who actually knows what they're talking about could look over my parts list and see what I'm missing or what parts would be better swapped out for something else.

Current Mods:
Hondata Flashpro
PRL CAI Intake
PRL Intercooler w/ Piping
Clutch Masters FX400 Full Face Clutch
Koyorad Radiator
SiriMoto PNP Flex Fuel Kit
PRL Big Turbo Kit with GTX2867R Gen II
(Possibly some other small things I'm forgetting)

Built Powertrain Parts List:
Two Step Performance Built Shortblock; CSS, 73.5mm JE Pistons, and Saenz Performance Series Rods
Brian Crower Steel Retainer & Keeper Kit
MAP's Adapted ARP Headstuds
Cometic Head Gasket
Boundary Pump Division Oil Pump Gears
HASport Mount Kit, 62A
Drag Cartel 1-4 Synchro Mesh Gear Kit
Driveshaft Shop Level 2.9 Axles

The engine is knocking hard but looks fine on the exterior, so I'd assume all my timing components and whatnot would be fine? I swapped the last engine myself and believe I am capable of doing the work; although I was thinking of sending the head to a shop to be looked over and might just have them install the new springs, retainers, and keepers. And I would also give the transmission to a shop to swap the new gearset in. I would greatly appreciate any helpful feedback.
Sponsored

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am just awaiting a whole bunch of parts to slowly work on my engine build myself. I will be using an OEM head gasket, I think most people go OEM. I would recommend picking up a couple of books if you are doing it yourself as well as the service manual. There are quite a few important things such as torquing sequence and staging for unbolting and bolting the head on. Also it’s important to use proper break-in oil. Synthetic oil can impact your piston rings properly setting in.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Built Powertrain Parts List:
Two Step Performance Built Shortblock; CSS, 73.5mm JE Pistons, and Saenz Performance Series Rods - @kshawn is using the same block so far so good
Brian Crower Steel Retainer & Keeper Kit - i've got the Ti retainer kit
MAP's Adapted ARP Headstuds - you can get it from @Two Step Performance
Cometic Head Gasket - wait time is at least 5-6 weeks or more so plan ahead
Boundary Pump Division Oil Pump Gears - good idea
HASport Mount Kit, 62A - they have full kit too
Drag Cartel 1-4 Synchro Mesh Gear Kit - good but very costly
Driveshaft Shop Level 2.9 Axles - OEM would suffice
you can get some info or pics from those who have built their engines , good luck on your build.

next time build it before slapping in a much bigger turbo but it should be fine after this current build :)

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Seems like a solid parts list. AFAIK nobody is making valves or cams yet so that's pretty complete.

One suggestion would be if the TSP block doesn't come with an oil pan, find a CR-V pan. It's a bit deeper and the extra oil volume will be beneficial.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems like a solid parts list. AFAIK nobody is making valves or cams yet so that's pretty complete.

One suggestion would be if the TSP block doesn't come with an oil pan, find a CR-V pan. It's a bit deeper and the extra oil volume will be beneficial.
I didn’t know this. I knew the oil pan was a different part number but I was worried about fitment issues.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I didn’t know this. I knew the oil pan was a different part number but I was worried about fitment issues.
I don't know if there were differences between years with the CR-V using the L15B7s but I have been told that at least at some point they were interchangeable. If it's something you want to explore I can try to find out more for ya.

OP
OP
deitle

deitle

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
you can get some info or pics from those who have built their engines , good luck on your build.

next time build it before slapping in a much bigger turbo but it should be fine after this current build :)
Thank you, I’ve to a few people and was told that the BC’s ti kit had to be refreshed every 5-10k miles and replaced every ~20k. That’s why I thought the steel would be a better way to go. And also I was just told OEM head gasket and axles would be fine. Especially since axles could be a break-if-they-fail part as they’re easy to install and their failure shouldn’t cause damage to anything else.

OP
OP
deitle

deitle

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

I did not know this about the CR-V pan, I’ll have to do some digging and find the compatible years

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

there are people making cams but motec will be needed to be able to fully utilise them.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
there are people making cams but motec will be needed to be able to fully utilise them.
Oh really, do you have a link? I have no plans on using motec but I'd just like to see them

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I did not know this about the CR-V pan, I’ll have to do some digging and find the compatible years
My gut feeling is any 2016+ will work, I can't see them having changed anything but I'm not 100% sure on that so I don't want to lead you astray.

The oil capacities are 3.4/3.7 Qt in the Si and 4.4/4.6 Qt in the CRV so it is a substantial increase in oil volume.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My gut feeling is any 2016+ will work, I can't see them having changed anything but I'm not 100% sure on that so I don't want to lead you astray.

The oil capacities are 3.4/3.7 Qt in the Si and 4.4/4.6 Qt in the CRV so it is a substantial increase in oil volume.
hehehe i have the CRV pan the base engine i used is a CRV engine !

browse my thread under KTuner there are some pics there you can see.

speak to @Two Step Performance regarding the pan maybe he can hook you up ;)

i will be adding an oil cooler too so there's more oil up to 1 liter extra.

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T Engine Build 1615308090452

Not my car, so happen buddy was there & used his car as a model & for measurements.
Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T Engine Build 1615308099240
Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T Engine Build 1615308109233

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
If your block and crankshaft are still in good condition and can be re-used you can save a lot of time and money on the new build.

We recommend an OEM gasket over the Cometic gasket at this point, with ARP studs you will be good to go there. We would also recommend KTuner over Hondata for tuning that particular setup, mainly due to the big turbo kit. Hondata would be "ok" though.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your block and crankshaft are still in good condition and can be re-used you can save a lot of time and money on the new build.

We recommend an OEM gasket over the Cometic gasket at this point, with ARP studs you will be good to go there. We would also recommend KTuner over Hondata for tuning that particular setup, mainly due to the big turbo kit. Hondata would be "ok" though.
Whats the reasoning behind replacing the head studs but not the gasket?
Sponsored