First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
2017 1-year-old EX-t, 1.5T with CVT, 23,000 miles
Did a CVT drain and fill this afternoon.
Magnetic drain plug had a good amount of fine particles attached to it.
The problem is I ordered 4 qts of fluid, per instruction 3.9 US Qt is the drain and fill amount.
But almost 5 qts drained out....4 qts and 700 ml (or 24 fl.oz.) See picture.
Most people stated that they had less than 4qt drain out.

I tilted raised the left side of the car tilting the car to the right because the drain port is slightly raised from the bottom of the pan about 1/4 inch.
Filled 4 qt back in through the top. Have not checked the fluid level check port yet- family duty called away.

Has anyone had more than 4 qt draining out?
Has anyone pulled the pan and do a filter change?

Filled it with 4 qt (what I had on hand) and it is not enough nothing comes out of the fluid check bolt hole.
Now i need to wait a day or so to get my hands on another qt.
The picture below is what came out during draining. 1 gallon + a little less than a qt.

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T,  CVT fluid change issue 20180812_202633
Sponsored

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
IMO a Honda worker make a mistake with overfill you CVT , follow Honda recommandation. Don't repeat the mistake.

Many thread on over fil engine oil , as see on our two Civic in family a 2016 and 2018. Why not overfill on CVT or 6MT ?

Will you put more oil in you engine or more PSI in your tires as recommended by Honda ? I guess no , why on CVT ?

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T,  CVT fluid change issue Capture d’écran 2018-08-14 à 05.06.07

Last edited:

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep adding until fluid flows from the check hole (spill hole) never go by what comes out, it could have been overfilled previously.

OP
OP

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Added 4 qt., nothing comes out from the spill hole. Car level, trans hot, cycled through the gear selector, 3 seconds in each position. PRNSL- LSDNRP.
5th qt of HCF-2 should be here tomorrow. I will update...

The only thing I did differently from a drain and fill is that raised the left side of the car as high as my floor jack allowed, about 1.5-2 feet.
If more than 3.9 qt drains out, I don't mind. More used fluid out more fresh fluid in.
I think the total tans fluid value is 6.9 qt. Some drain back to the pan (drainable), some hidden in the internals such as torque converter cooler and lines and other passages inside the trans.
Next year I will pull the pan and attempt a filter change as well.

Last edited:

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Added 4 qt., nothing comes out from the spill hole. Car level, trans hot, cycled through the gear selector, 3 seconds in each position. PRNSL- LSDNRP.
5th qt of HCF-2 should be here tomorrow. I will update...

The only thing I did differently from a drain and fill is that raised the left side of the car as high as my floor jack allowed, about 1.5-2 feet.
If more than 3.9 qt drains out, I don't mind. More used fluid out more fresh fluid in.
I think the total tans fluid value is 6.9 qt. Some drain back to the pan (drainable), some hidden in the internals such as torque converter cooler and lines and other passages inside the trans.
Next year I will pull the pan and attempt a filter change as well.
I agree, more that comes out out the better Just go by the spill hole and never be in doubt. Surprised they don't require that the process be done 3 times or so like their regular automatic transmissions

OP
OP

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
This procedure seems to be the norm for most auto-trans where the pan removal and filter change is not required.
VW DSG trans is exactly the same, drain, add 6 qts of very specific expensive VW trans fluid, warm up the car+trans - use a scan to get to an exact temp, (I think they want the engine on) let extra fluid drain out through a spill tube- a plastic tube inserted inside the drain hole. Required 40K service.
I plan to do an annual trans drain fill as long as I own this car to help the car out in this hellish Texas heat.

Would be nice if this trans would have an external cartridge filter.
Sponsored