1.5T AMSOIL SS 0W20 UOA Thread

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I checked my oil levels yesterday. Basically same level as when it went in. Car now has ~3000 miles on that oil. I checked it after a few minutes after shutting the engine off. For some reason when I check it cold, I can't get a good reading.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I checked my oil levels yesterday. Basically same level as when it went in. Car now has ~3000 miles on that oil. I checked it after a few minutes after shutting the engine off. For some reason when I check it cold, I can't get a good reading.
You must always wipe a cold stick before checking the level, because cold oil will wick up the stick over night.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
You must always wipe a cold stick before checking the level, because cold oil will wick up the stick over night.
I did. But the reading was still wack, kind of caught me by surprise. But the manual does say to check the oil a few minutes after the car has been running.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just wanted to let people in here know I'm gathering all the analysis I see posted and compiling them in one thread that will be pinned and NOT open to discussion. I've scanned through this thread and found a few that I converted to PDF and uploaded to the new thread. If there are ever any more samples, PM me a PDF format of them and I will add them.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

I've added the analysis I found in this thread from the contributors below. Thank you for your contribution.
@hunter44102 , @Mugenkb1 , @parshisa

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Wanting to add to this....

I believe the Fram Ultra Oil Filter is a better filter than the Amsoil EAO. It is also alot cheaper than the Amsoil EAO.
The Amsoil uses a single thick layer of synthetic media to achieve the 98.7% efficiency rating at 20 microns The Fram Ultra uses two layers of a thinner media and achieves a 99%+ efficiency rating at 20 microns.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
When the manual says to check the oil after some minutes, what they mean is to wait that many minutes before checking the oil. They want you to check it cold. The manual is not asking you to run the engine for some time, shut it off, and wait. I read the manual today (Canadian Touring Sedan) and was surprised how easily the wording could be read to think that the oil must be checked after recently running the engine.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The oil needs a few minutes to drain back into the pan from the turbo and feed/return lines.
I've always checked the oil level before the oil has a chance to reach back down to the pan. Checking it when the system is primed will show you the oil level when you're actually driving.

I pull the dip stick and clean it with brake cleaner and wipe it off. Then I stick it back into the tube, but not all the way. I start the car for about 30 seconds and then shut off. I then push the dipstick all the way into the oil and pull it out for a reading.

This is what I've always done and it makes sense to me. I used to SCCA a lot and I was always worried about cornering and running the sump dry. I never had an issue, but I ended up getting an oil pan with baffling designed for cornering anyways.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
I've always checked the oil level before the oil has a chance to reach back down to the pan. Checking it when the system is primed will show you the oil level when you're actually driving.

I pull the dip stick and clean it with brake cleaner and wipe it off. Then I stick it back into the tube, but not all the way. I start the car for about 30 seconds and then shut off. I then push the dipstick all the way into the oil and pull it out for a reading.

This is what I've always done and it makes sense to me. I used to SCCA a lot and I was always worried about cornering and running the sump dry. I never had an issue, but I ended up getting an oil pan with baffling designed for cornering anyways.
To me, that would make me think your car would be over filled. If you're checking it before it settles into the pan and you're using the full mark as a point of reference to how much you have filled, then when it finally is fully settled and you check it (like you're supposed to), then it should read beyond full. You're measuring the amount of oil in the pan, yet it's sucked all throughout the motor, making the dipstick appear to be lower than it really is.
Sponsored