1.5l T vs 2.0l and CVT vs 6 speed manual

bigskysummit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 civic lx
Hello all, new to the forum. I am thinking of a new civic, not overly concerned with power (i have a 2000 civic with 205k miles on it so either will have more power). I live in colder climate and small town, so lots of my driving is for a few minutes at a time. I have seen some discussions about 1.5l T in crvs having the oil thinned out with gas mixing in. Price isn't a concern (i can get a hold over 2017 ex or ex-t for same price) but I am concerned with durability, do you guys think the 2.0l would be a better choice?

I have never driven a car with CVT, also wondering about durability of that, my current civic is a manual with lots of miles and clutch is still in good shape. My dad recently had to replace a cvt in subaru outback under warranty. Wondering thoughts on the manual vs cvt if I decide to go with an lx with 2.0l.

also pondering a used 2014 accord sport 6 spd since the price is right.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Hello all, new to the forum. I am thinking of a new civic, not overly concerned with power (i have a 2000 civic with 205k miles on it so either will have more power). I live in colder climate and small town, so lots of my driving is for a few minutes at a time. I have seen some discussions about 1.5l T in crvs having the oil thinned out with gas mixing in. Price isn't a concern (i can get a hold over 2017 ex or ex-t for same price) but I am concerned with durability, do you guys think the 2.0l would be a better choice?

I have never driven a car with CVT, also wondering about durability of that, my current civic is a manual with lots of miles and clutch is still in good shape. My dad recently had to replace a cvt in subaru outback under warranty. Wondering thoughts on the manual vs cvt if I decide to go with an lx with 2.0l.

also pondering a used 2014 accord sport 6 spd since the price is right.

Thanks for any input.
Owner of a 2.0L EX here and having been in the exact same place you were (1.5 vs 2.0), I decided on the 2.0L. I found the 2.0L engine to have more than enough power for daily commuting/driving and got the 2.0 because it is a k series motor which is proven to be bulletproof already. If your looking for more power the 1.5 obviously beats out the 2.0 no question, but from reading your post you clearly said you werent after that. Basically if your main concern is reliability, there is no way you can go wrong with a 2.0 motor.

Im sure the 1.5 will be alright too, but reliability has yet to be proven because it is such a new engine from Honda. As far as the CVT goes, in daily driving you pretty much dont notice it and its extremely quiet and buttery smooth (unlike some with that "rubber band" feel), unless you floor it.

I have around 3K miles on it so far and I dont regret not going for the 1.5. I would get the EX though (unless you want manual) because android auto/carplay is really useful along with things like lane watch and the nicer audio system.

Last edited:

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I love my LX Hatch but if there was an option I'd have taken it with the K20 engine. Peace of mind.
Manual, off course.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Alright! :)
We got another 1.5T vs 2.0 NA, 6 mt vs. CVT thread going.
Is the search function broken?
and the OP is new.
:popcorn:
synthetic vs conventional oil, anyone?

My 2 cents worth of advice is that the OP should buy what other people on this forum suggest.
Rule # 1, always buy what the others buy. :doh:

Lxvpq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2018 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I wanted fun, tried the 1.5 CVT, was alright but nowhere near the 1.5 with the manual. Reliability is unknown but it's a Honda so it can't be too bad really...

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Your best bet is a 2.0NA with Manual Transmission, especially for cold weather climes like Montana. I have the 1.5L turbo and even though I love my Civic I have a feeling the turbo is going to cause me trouble within a couple of years.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright! :)
We got another 1.5T vs 2.0 NA, 6 mt vs. CVT thread going.
Is the search function broken?
and the OP is new.
:popcorn:
synthetic vs conventional oil, anyone?

My 2 cents worth of advice is that the OP should buy what other people on this forum suggest.
Rule # 1, always buy what the others buy. :doh:
Yeah...

https://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-longevity.23206/

https://www.civicx.com/threads/afte...r-almost-a-month-i-had-a-cvt-for-3-days.3308/

https://www.civicx.com/threads/new-civic-turbo-or-no-turbo.24511/

https://www.civicx.com/threads/turbo-vs-non-turbo.6278/

https://www.civicx.com/threads/poll-cvt-or-manual.364/

I stopped at 5... each one is pages and pages long.

Read to your heart's content... or until your eyes bleed.

When you're done... just get whatever car you like best. If durability is your #1 by a long shot... then perhaps the logical choice is the old K20 with a manual. The only justification is the long history of earlier very similar variants of K20C2... stretching back to a very similar K20A3 in base RSXs and 7th gen Civic Sis with roughly the same power... and it's modest power levels compared to other K20 variants. The L-series engine and K-series are about the same age, but it was a little-car NA engine until recently, so we don't have years and years of history to go on. Honda started using CVTs awhile ago... dropped them... then brought them back, and they're regular old automatics have had issues, but it's usually more with their heavier vans/SUVs that share car drivetrains. All that being said... just get whatever you like the best. Settling for something less than you want the fear of an unlikely maybe isn't a compromise I'd want to make... not that the K20 isn't still a fine engine, and the CVT isn't without it's merits over a manual. I didn't pick that combo because I didn't want it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My wife and I have both LX with 6 speed manual T ( 2016 and 2018) .
We love our car with MT, we don't have to go in a city

Buy a CVT if you have more city driving

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is how my clutch pedal looks after only 23000 km of city driving and around 1400 engine hours.

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5l T vs 2.0l  and CVT vs 6 speed manual IMG_20180729_110040

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow never see that in any on my manual carr with more than 120,000 miles. Honda rubber are very soft or you shoes have nail on their soles

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i
Wow never see that in any on my manual carr with more than 120,000 miles. Honda rubber are very soft or you shoes have nail on their soles
chinese traffic..... i am sure i pushed the clutch more times than you did in 120k miles.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
i

chinese traffic..... i am sure i pushed the clutch more times than you did in 120k miles.
Still, the clutch is very soft, shouldn't wear as fast. My 200.000+ Integra wasn't as bad.
Cost cutting.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I can easily believe it. Even though 23k km is only over 14k miles.....quite amazing.
It will also depend on what shoes you wear. I don't have my last MT car any more, but I'm quite sure my clutch pedal looked almost pristine after over 100k miles.

Still, the clutch is very soft, shouldn't wear as fast. My 200.000+ Integra wasn't as bad.
Cost cutting.
I'm not sure hard rubber is more expensive. In fact, the way it should be, soft rubber should be used and be easily replaceable for a few bucks.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Look at you ... how funny that is!
YOur clutch pedal cover is all worn but your gas (ok, throttle) pedal is still new. No fun for that guy... in city driving. :spaz:
Sponsored