1.5 Turbo Motor Build

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be fair, don't they usually rebuild race engines after every race? Longevity is not really their primary concern.
They didn't on those BMW motors. If you watch the video, they even pissed on them. In F1 they have a set amount of motors per season to use and if they go over they get grid drop penalties.
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The part numbers are different, but there isn't much information out there about any differences. The Si block has been rumored to be stronger, but we cannot confirm this yet. From a monetary standpoint, though, the Si block is actually cheaper than the base 1.5T block!

Apparently I don't know right from left! :doh: Oops haha

That is a possiblity... We will see! ;)
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but with a few of the weaker 1.5T engines beginning to experience rod failures under higher boost levels, I have been feeling nervous about my 2017 SI with 23 psi basemap. Were you ever able to definitively determine what items had been beefed up in the SI block, and by how much?

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but with a few of the weaker 1.5T engines beginning to experience rod failures under higher boost levels, I have been feeling nervous about my 2017 SI with 23 psi basemap. Were you ever able to definitively determine what items had been beefed up in the SI block, and by how much?
I read somewhere that si rods were forged but don't quote me on that

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I recall reading the Si has stronger rods then the base 1.5t, anyhow 23psi is not high boost for the Si. You are not in a dangerous power zone. Just make sure you do your car maintenance properly and use a good tuner. To the recent thread of the rod being bent, it’s seems to be tuning related, with prior use of a shitty intake that spiked his afr’s out of wack (which can cause engine damage!) Definitely was not hydrolock.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Rods and pistons are different part numbers for the Si just not sure if that equates to strength, I know part of it is a different compression ratio for the Si for more boost.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Opp'd in for this thread. How strong can this little motor really be??

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wish we could do a side by side comparison between the SI rods and the EX-T rods, so that we could put this "stronger internals" debate to bed once and for all.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Wish we could do a side by side comparison between the SI rods and the EX-T rods, so that we could put this "stronger internals" debate to bed once and for all.
If you have seen Caraddicts new YouTube video, he stated that he might purchase both rods and do a comparison video to end this debate. They are different part numbers but that doesn’t mean they are superior. Although it would make sense in my opinion to make them stronger for the Si trim.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you have seen Caraddicts new YouTube video, he stated that he might purchase both rods and do a comparison video to end this debate. They are different part numbers but that doesn’t mean they are superior. Although it would make sense in my opinion to make them stronger for the Si trim.
I agree that it would make sense, but somehow, I have my doubts that Honda made any significant changes to the SI's engine durability this time around. I would very much like to be proven wrong though.

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We figured that it's only a matter of time before somebody pushes the 1.5T platform to the max and know that we will eventually need an engine with forged internals. We decided to follow suit with the rest of the platforms we're involved in and develop a motor program for the 1.5 Turbo.

We will be using brand new OEM Honda Si cylinder blocks, crankshafts oil jets/squirters, gaskets and hardware.

DSCN0715_zpssav33bgv.jpg

2017+ Civic Si block

DSCN0743_zpseepnmtym.jpg

Notice the coolant passages at the tops of where the sleeves intersect. Also notice the aluminum cast around the top layer of the iron sleeve.

DSCN0718_zpsbzsvenpg.jpg

Main caps; no main girdle here. Honda's past K-Series motors featured a factory girdle system.

DSCN0725_zpskdpiyacj.jpg

Awe look how cute! 73mm Si 10.3:1 compression piston.

DSCN0727_zps6vebslfz.jpg

The factory piston features a narrow piston skirt with a unique "spotted" friction coating.

DSCN0729_zpsgatqgw9w.jpg

These pistons also have quite a bit of material between the rings; A rather beafy design.

DSCN0732_zpskcoh3zbv.jpg

Such a cute little factory connecting rod!

DSCN0740_zpsqoeaddkk.jpg

M6 rod bolts :(

DSCN0733_zps6x21dh9t.jpg

The rotating assembly can ALMOST fit an a USPS Large Flat Rate Box! :lol:

DSCN0734_zpsswmszkn3.jpg

The left side is a 2.0L Type-R connecting rod, right is a 1.5T Si connecting rod.

DSCN0735_zpscseiymtc.jpg

DSCN0736_zps8b9alts0.jpg

The left side is a 2.0L Type-R piston, right is a 1.5T Si piston.

Our goal is to offer a short block capable of holding ~500 whp. The build will most-likely consist of forged H-beam rods and forged pistons. We will be working to develop a drop-in piston set designed to mimic Honda's factory piston design. This will be extremely important for fuel atomization and combustion with the direct injection system. A ~10.3:1 compression ratio is a rather comfortable number for us as well, as it's high enough to keep turbo spool and response there, but not high enough that we are worried about detonation/knock issues.

We are also sourcing/developing a proper head stud and other components to be able to hold the power as well. Please stay tuned! :thumbsup:
Soooo.... i have to trade in my cvt EX-T for a SI if I really wanna get serious with power. Hmmm. I love my car but I will undoubtedly love an SI but i has this car for a year already. I don’t mind paying extra but I don’t wanna be one of those people that trade in cars excessively. Idk what to do.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No you don't. You're only going to have to build the motor if you are going for crazy power and at that point you are going to be upgrading a LOT more than just the internals. It's still the same block so far as we know. Then again if you have the CVT and not the 6 speed you would probably want to do it just for that as the CVT is very limited power wise.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rods and pistons are in the works! ;) Stay tuned!
This is great news! Would you happen to have any perspective on whether the Si Rods and Pistons are any different that the EX-T ones? Wondering if an internals upgrade should be top priority for anyone looking to increase power significantly.
Sponsored