1.5 Turbo , has VTEC in JDM cars ?

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
So , I know it’s common knowledge that here in the states the 1.5 Turbo doesn’t have VTEC , only the 2.0 in the CTR .

I noticed in a picture of an FK7 1.5 for the JDM , the “ Earth Dreams “ decal on the valve cover also has “ Turbo VTEC “ . Upon doing some more research, I found this link https://translate.googleusercontent...turbo/&usg=ALkJrhiBNSjQNGZ2TpWznTSvKjoSfoL72A

Which is translated to English , anybody know the story behind this ? Also curious as to what the power rating is on this version .
Sponsored

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
i think only the accord comes with vtec

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
The 1.5 turbo does not have VTEC in any market. Honda is now just using VTEC as a marketing term in some situations. There is a thread around here where this was discussed, but I'm having trouble finding it.

edit: I think it was this thread: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/vtech-or-no-vtech.37239/

OP
OP
Icebear

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It's all about the "valve lift control" part, which is considered the "real" VTEC that "kicks in." But although that's what VTEC used to mean, the L for "lift" acually is not in the acronym. So Honda felt like they can now use VTEC TURBO whether there is the lift control that kicks in at hig rpm or not.
So they use "VTEC" even if it can't kick in, everywhere, except the US, because we just can't be so easily fooled here.;)

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Technically it’s vtc because it’s just the cam timing that changes. VTEC switches to a completely different cam lobe. ivtec uses the cam angle and addition lobe. I wish the L15s had actual vtec but it was designed for na engines and ours have a little turbo so doesn’t really need vtec but still would be cool haha.

donaldsauter12

First Name
donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan skyline
Country flag
The L15B7 is a 1.5-liter I-4 turbocharged fuel direct-infusion motor that was first presented in the 2016 Honda cars. The motor is an aftereffect of Honda's scaling back system that includes utilizing little removal units related to a turbocharger to beat the force issue. In this way, the 1.5L turbo motor gives eco-friendly, and yet respectable force and force surpassing the force of a characteristic suctioned 2.4L motor. The producer previously started offering the 1.5T motor for moderately overwhelming vehicles, for example, the Honda CR-V and the Honda Accord.

We should investigate what makes the Honda 1.5l turbo motor so effective and ground-breaking. The motor uses an aluminum open-deck chamber square and aluminum chamber head. The motor square is furnished with lightweight steel associating poles (heat-produced for higher solidarity) to withstand high loads. There are likewise new cavity molded cylinders, which have a streamlined skirt configuration to limit vibration and rubbing and increment working proficiency. The makers applied level sharpening (granulating process) for chamber dividers to diminish grating among cylinders and chambers significantly more. Cylinders are cooled by oil shower planes coordinated at the base of the cylinder.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The L15B7 is a 1.5-liter I-4 turbocharged fuel direct-infusion motor that was first presented in the 2016 Honda cars. The motor is an aftereffect of Honda's scaling back system that includes utilizing little removal units related to a turbocharger to beat the force issue. In this way, the 1.5L turbo motor gives eco-friendly, and yet respectable force and force surpassing the force of a characteristic suctioned 2.4L motor. The producer previously started offering the 1.5T motor for moderately overwhelming vehicles, for example, the Honda CR-V and the Honda Accord.

We should investigate what makes the Honda 1.5l turbo motor so effective and ground-breaking. The motor uses an aluminum open-deck chamber square and aluminum chamber head. The motor square is furnished with lightweight steel associating poles (heat-produced for higher solidarity) to withstand high loads. There are likewise new cavity molded cylinders, which have a streamlined skirt configuration to limit vibration and rubbing and increment working proficiency. The makers applied level sharpening (granulating process) for chamber dividers to diminish grating among cylinders and chambers significantly more. Cylinders are cooled by oil shower planes coordinated at the base of the cylinder.
Well the power train optimization was the main reason I bought this car. Not for the air conditioning system :dunno: or the most luxuriously looking interior, or the fastest drag times. I didn't know for a fact how great it was, but I had a good feeling about it. Btw., efficiency is not really important to me but then truly, it is. If I paid for the fuel twice as much, it would be OK. But thermal efficiency it's a bragging point for me and an indication of great engineering, and that's why I like it.

So someone already investigated the Honda 1.5L turbocharged engine (coupled to the CVT) better than we can do it.
Namely, the US EPA and SAE.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2018-10/documents/sae-paper-2018-01-0319.pdf

What's funny, :rofl: the measured top thermal efficiency of the Honda 1.5T (over 37%) exceeded the projected (theoretical) top efficiency of the concept (model, not existing in the bolts and nuts form) EPA engine incorporating all possible future funky efficiency technologies. Many of these technologies are not even implemented in the Honda engine. Honda just picked a currently optimal set of technologies and optimized them to achieve the winning efficiency.

They said:

"The BTE map for the Honda L15B7 engine developed from the benchmark testing shows the highest efficiency of any publicly available map for a production turbocharged engine."

"Although this last engine in the table is a future concept engine that includes a number of advanced technologies, its estimated 37% peak efficiency has already been equaled or surpassed by a number of production engines, including the Honda 1.5-liter..."

"In fact, as noted previously, the peak efficiency of the EPA/Ricardo EGRB engine has already been surpassed by the Honda engine."

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm having a 2017 Civic 1.5 and it has also written VTEC on the engine in fact it's VTC. They officially sell it as Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo in Germany.

Honda is doing some false advertising here in Germany, or maybe even also in the rest of Europe :D

Here is a picture of my engine:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5 Turbo , has VTEC in JDM cars ? Honda_Civic_VTEC_false_Advertising_1_5l_turbo
Sponsored