First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Blah, blah blah. Known problem. No known engine failures, yet. Mine has over 45,000 miles and runs as strong or stronger than the day I bought it. Still getting over 40 miles per gallon.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
Blah, blah blah. Known problem. No known engine failures, yet. Mine has over 45,000 miles and runs as strong or stronger than the day I bought it. Still getting over 40 miles per gallon.
What has made it run stronger?

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't know, it seemed to me after a few thousand miles it responded better and boost came on faster.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
"The contaminated oil loses its ability to protect and lubricate the engine". I wonder if they have concrete evidence of this or are they making assumptions. None of us 1.5L owners had any unusual wear metals in any of our oil analysis.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
"The contaminated oil loses its ability to protect and lubricate the engine". I wonder if they have concrete evidence of this or are they making assumptions. None of us 1.5L owners had any unusual wear metals in any of our oil analysis.
Why would several percent of fuel in the oil cause it to "lose it's ability to lubricate"? Several percent of fuel causes a several percent drop in oil viscosity. If it was 50%...one could start to worry.
Before the fuel gets into the crankcase, excess unburned fuel in the cylinders could wash oil off the cylinder walls and piston rings. Regardless of the final fraction of fuel in the crankcase. But it doesn't seem like this is happening to any significant extent.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Any car gains a bit of performance after break in. It can take a lot to break in an engine if driven very conservatively.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
I use Idemtisu oil of the 0w-20 flavor and man this oil film sterngth is like no other but only for 3 to 4k miles. This is really the issue with this car is frequent oil changes. And don't tell me those 20 thousand mile engine guarantees are actually real, barghh snake oil, unless you are talking about a mighty Fram Ultra oil filter. My only question, since I use the Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter is do I leave it in for a second OCI, given it says goo for up to 20k, on the package..

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I use Idemtisu oil of the 0w-20 flavor and man this oil film sterngth is like no other but only for 3 to 4k miles. This is really the issue with this car is frequent oil changes. And don't tell me those 20 thousand mile engine guarantees are actually real, barghh snake oi ..

I agree with that.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use Idemtisu oil of the 0w-20 flavor and man this oil film sterngth is like no other but only for 3 to 4k miles. This is really the issue with this car is frequent oil changes. And don't tell me those 20 thousand mile engine guarantees are actually real, barghh snake oil, unless you are talking about a mighty Fram Ultra oil filter. My only question, since I use the Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter is do I leave it in for a second OCI, given it says goo for up to 20k, on the package..
Oil filters are less than $10. It's never made sense to me to leave the dirty oil in the filter and add fresh oil to it. It's up to you. It probably doesn't hurt, but then, $10 bucks won't hurt my pocket.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oil filters are less than $10. It's never made sense to me to leave the dirty oil in the filter and add fresh oil to it. It's up to you. It probably doesn't hurt, but then, $10 bucks won't hurt my pocket.
I agree. To protect a $25K and more car it is a no question .
Sponsored