1,000 miles on 20 gallons... Not too shabby...

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
This was maybe 1/3 highway, 1/3 city (not real city, but stop and go, lights etc.), and 1/3 back roads cruising between 40-50mph.

Oh, and it was also the first 996 miles on the car too. I was conservative though with the break-in period and all.

Since then I have been pushing it harder, a lot more city-ish stop and go, shorter trips etc. and I'm getting like 47 still...
Yup. This car can easily beat EPA est
Winter mileage is shit tho, fair warning
Definitely.

While I am averaging 53 MPG on my commute this summer. In the winter here in Wisconsin it drops to about 47 MPG on the same commute
Sponsored

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Not that I care about the money or anything but I may just lower the heat and rely on the heated seats in the winter. I have like, a 9 mile drive each way.

I normally wear a jacket anyway so with the heated seats, I may just let the engine hog all the heat for itself.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The thing about these MPG mileage threads is that it all depends on so many different factors. Sure my Civic EX-L could probably get 50MPG on the highway if my roads were flat and not hilly and I took it easy. But, I live in a highly congested, hilly, metro area and I'm not going to see 50MPG. With most of my commutes driving ultra conservatively I'll see 40MPG. If I drive with a little urgency though, my numbers go down to 30-32MPG.

The Civic is capable of amazing MPG in the right situation, but, just like insurance prices, it absolutely depends on where you live.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sure my Civic EX-L could probably get 50MPG on the highway if my roads were flat and not hilly and I took it easy. But, I live in a highly congested, hilly, metro area and I'm not going to see 50MPG.
Gotta use those down hills to your advantage!

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be honest, it's hard not to be skeptical of this. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's hard to believe.
I'm tuned and have achieved 50 mpgs on a 400 mile round trip at 70 cc very doable.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
What's hard to believe? He's got the 6MT LX with the narrow(er) tires. If the miles are mostly road miles, I would be surprised and disappointed to see worse FE than this with the 6MT LX.

Ok, fair enough. I guess I found it surprising over that many miles. Usually you can get really good MPG over a certain stretch of road or when conditions are right, but to do it consistently over 1000 miles is another thing. Good deal the OP is able to do it.

I notice I'm getting a lot better FE now that we're in summer. MPG was a lot lower when the weather was colder. I haven't been paying attention to my MPG much lately, but this thread prompted me to take a look, and I'm at 44 on the current tank with heavy A/C use and the CVT and not driving particularly for eco. So I guess 50 isn't that ridiculous, I was in the mental mode from spring when my mileage was worse.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, fair enough. I guess I found it surprising over that many miles. Usually you can get really good MPG over a certain stretch of road or when conditions are right, but to do it consistently over 1000 miles is another thing. Good deal the OP is able to do it
I'm at like 1400 now on the same 'trip' and it's down to 48.8. So hard to get the average up when it's that many miles. I wonder what would happen if the 'trip' gets to 9999, does it reset to zero along with the mpgs?

Last edited:

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
I'm at like 1400 now on the same 'trip' and it's down to 48.8. So hard to get the average up when it's that many miles. I wonder what would happen the 'trip' gets to 9999, does it reset to zero along with the megs?
Your reported mpg is incredible!

I was wondering your road conditions and certain specs like if you drive a certain way, no acc or feather up in traffic or if you have your cabin fans off etc...
Also when you fill up do you have a range computation based on a full tank?

mine has recently defaulted to 399 so I'm pretty pleased with 'close' to 40mpg :)

Edit: (Not sure what megs is)

Last edited:

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV

I was wondering your road conditions and certain specs like if you drive a certain way, no acc or feather up in traffic or if you have your cabin fans off etc...

mine has recently defaulted to 399 so I'm pretty pleased with 'close' to 40mpg :)

My last two range calculations that show on the dials after filling up have been just over 600miles. I've been getting low 50's MPG this summer. But my 45 mile commute is almost completely rural 2 lane roads at 55mph (gently rolling hills) with no city driving. (17 EXT 6MT). I'm actually getting the same mileage that I was getting with my 2005 Civic Hybrid! All this is after 13000 Miles on the car.

OP
OP

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

megs = mpgs. I fixed/edited the post.

600 of those miles was the break-in and I drove it pretty conservatively. I did hand calculate on a tank and it was within 1mpg. Now that I'm driving it a bit more aggressively it hasn't gone down too much.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm at like 1400 now on the same 'trip' and it's down to 48.8. So hard to get the average up when it's that many miles. I wonder what would happen if the 'trip' gets to 9999, does it reset to zero along with the mpgs?
On our 9th the B goes to at least 15,511.3 - both likely go to 100k-.1 before rollover!