0w16 oil...C'mon!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
"Meets the requirements of popular new vehicles like the 2018 Toyota* Camry* and the 2018 Honda* Fit*" um when exactly was the Fit a popular car?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
The 0w20 spec is about CAFE standards for fuel efficiency. It has nothing to do with engine protection. The new european cars use 0w40. If it's good enough for Porsches, Audis, and BMW's its good enough for our lowly civic. And "tolerances" does not mean smaller gaps, it means less variance.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
"Meets the requirements of popular new vehicles like the 2018 Toyota* Camry* and the 2018 Honda* Fit*" um when exactly was the Fit a popular car?
I think the Fit/Jazz platform was quite successful in many parts of the world.

Last edited:

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The 0w20 spec is about CAFE standards for fuel efficiency. It has nothing to do with engine protection. The new european cars use 0w40. If it's good enough for Porsches, Audis, and BMW's its good enough for our lowly civic. And "tolerances" does not mean smaller gaps, it means less variance.
That was exactly my thought when I switched to 5W-30 oil.
I think the fuel economy is a bit worse, even if the oil I choose is on the lower viscosity spectrum for a 5W-30 oil.
T he engine seems quieter.

In the meantime I found out that 0W-20 oils usually have higher ester content, thus providing same or better protection.
Who knows, may even protect better with the oil dilution?

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I run 5w30 in my car and still average 5.5l/100km....going back to 0w20 may bring this down to 5.4 or 5.3, not worth it to worsen the life of this engine. Plus I drive it decently hard and want the extra protection onc the oil starts to break down and become less viscous. I change it every 10k km using AMSoil OE and my gauge still says 50%. The oil is black and smells like gas...definitely due for a change even if Honda thinks otherwise.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I run 5w30 in my car and still average 5.5l/100km....going back to 0w20 may bring this down to 5.4 or 5.3, not worth it to worsen the life of this engine. Plus I drive it decently hard and want the extra protection onc the oil starts to break down and become less viscous. I change it every 10k km using AMSoil OE and my gauge still says 50%. The oil is black and smells like gas...definitely due for a change even if Honda thinks otherwise.
Wow, 5.5l/100 and 50% at 10.000 km. sounds amazing. I'm getting 8.9l/100km. This is after tune. Before tuning it it was actually 9.1 l./100km...
Also, according to the gauge, I need to change oil around 10k km.

I must be driving it really hard, lol.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how the heck is that even possible?

you must be running way rich,

unless your towing a heavy trailer
Nah, it's just the way I drive, I guess, and still I'm not one to stay on the gas and brake hard at red lights...
As I said, before tune my fuel economy was just a tad worse.
I always burned 2 liters per hundred more for all vehicles I've owned.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Nah, it's just the way I drive, I guess, and still I'm not one to stay on the gas and brake hard at red lights...
As I said, before tune my fuel economy was just a tad worse.
I always burned 2 liters per hundred more for all vehicles I've owned.
Lots of stop and go traffic? I see you're in GTA so it would make sense. i get 135k/day of 118km/h uninterrupted plus London traffic to get out of town so it will be a lot easier on gas than just town traffic.

I'm also driving on a worn clutch that slips even at 15 PSI in 3rd gear so I have to take it easy.
I'll update this post when the ACT clutch gets installed and i can finally drive it properly with TSP stage 1. I'm estimating I'll be more around 6-6.5 than 5.5 then.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lots of stop and go traffic? I see you're in GTA so it would make sense. i get 135k/day of 118km/h uninterrupted plus London traffic to get out of town so it will be a lot easier on gas than just town traffic.

I'm also driving on a worn clutch that slips even at 15 PSI in 3rd gear so I have to take it easy.
I'll update this post when the ACT clutch gets installed and i can finally drive it properly with TSP stage 1. I'm estimating I'll be more around 6-6.5 than 5.5 then.
I start working at 7:00AM so the morning traffic isn't too bad, but there are a lot of stop signs and red lights.
Shockingly, I'm doing worse since we went back to work in June, with less traffic. Rather hard acceleration/boost is the killer for FE.

Really excited to hear about the clutch. I'm not up to date on clutches for this car yet. Does it come with a light flywheel?
This car suffers badly from a standstill. Off course it's mainly the size of the engine and lack of boost at low rpms., but I always wondered if a lighter clutch would help with that too...

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I start working at 7:00AM so the morning traffic isn't too bad, but there are a lot of stop signs and red lights.
Shockingly, I'm doing worse since we went back to work in June, with less traffic. Rather hard acceleration/boost is the killer for FE.

Really excited to hear about the clutch. I'm not up to date on clutches for this car yet. Does it come with a light flywheel?
This car suffers badly from a standstill. Off course it's mainly the size of the engine and lack of boost at low rpms., but I always wondered if a lighter clutch would help with that too...
It should go in before the end of October, I'll let you know. The ACT steel flywheel is 10 lbs lighter at 22 lbs. The whole assembly weighs 32 lbs or the weight of the stock flywheel. It's also single mass. I think it may make 1st gear rev faster but anything beyond that will only be for the faster rev drops between gears. Mostly doing it so I can put the 21 psi tune back and buy the TSP stage 1 tune. 15psi is getting boring AF to drive, at least I got improved boost ramps.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It should go in before the end of October, I'll let you know. The ACT steel flywheel is 10 lbs lighter at 22 lbs. The whole assembly weighs 32 lbs or the weight of the stock flywheel. It's also single mass. I think it may make 1st gear rev faster but anything beyond that will only be for the faster rev drops between gears. Mostly doing it so I can put the 21 psi tune back and buy the TSP stage 1 tune. 15psi is getting boring AF to drive, at least I got improved boost ramps.
Very true, when grandpa driving, i prefered my oem dual mass. The twin disc was so light it fell in the rpm very fast

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Exciting times. No need to worry about revs dropping too fast. I got used to the light flywheel in my other car in no time, and that one is 9 lbs. only.
BTW, I'm sure is for good reason, but why not a lighter one for the 10th. gen.?

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very true, when grandpa driving, i prefered my oem dual mass. The twin disc was so light it fell in the rpm very fast
Looks like I was wrong assuming the revs will drop faster with a lighter flywheel in this car then...
Good info!

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Looks like I was wrong assuming the revs will drop faster with a lighter flywheel in this car then...
Good info!
no youre right, they do. a lot.
Sponsored