First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm being using on all my previous and current, 2015 Nissan Murano SL AWD. All IIRC recommended 5W-30 and all NON-TURBO.

I ordered my 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring, should be here in December!!

Anyway, I don't even know what it takes but this will be my first TURBO vehicle. I use Castrol "German Synthec," well now it's (made in) Belgium. LOL

So any CIVICX use this grade?
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
use 0w-20 if you want dont to void your warranty if something does happen to the engine

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Castrol "German Synthetic" is not a grade of oil, it is a brand of oil. As long as this oil is available in 0W-20 grade, it will work fine.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Don't use anything other than 0w-20. Heavier weight oil is more prone to cavitation. And since the oil pumps are overdriven to create enough oil pressure to work the VTEC/VTC mechanisms, where oil is forced through small passages/orifices in the head, heavier oil can prevent these systems from properly functioning.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
I'd like to use a more common oil like 5/20/30/or even 40, like the Europeans in these small turbo engines.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd like to use a more common oil like 5/20/30/or even 40, like the Europeans in these small turbo engines.
I have heard, that a couple teaspoons of sugar in the oil will coat the cylinders and prolong the engine life.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So you're willing to defy the engineer's requirement (countless hours spent designing and testing the engine and who are certainly more knowledgeable than you) for the sake of your continence or preferences on the premise that European vehicles with small turbo engines use those weights? Okay...

OP
OP
bembol

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Regarding the Engineer comment. I get it but back with my 2002 Acura RSX Premium I used the recommended oil and was burning nothing serious I had to use quarter of a litre between my OCI. DIY.

This is how I learned about Castrol 0W-30, it was recommended in a forum. Haven't used anything else ever since.

I will follow this being a Turbo engine.

Thanks again.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
0W-20 is specifically recommended for your 1.5 turbo (2.0T as well) engine's tolerances to maintain ideal oil pressure.

"Only use new type 0W-20 on 15YM Civic Type R !" http://dykparkvattern.se/Oil-chart-2015.pdf

Castrol Edge 0W-30's viscosity is particularly high for a W-30 oil at 12.18 cSt @ 100C, compared to 8.7 cSt (Castrol Edge EP 0W-20).

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
0/20 low friction flow oil is mostly about CAFE and saving a miniscule amount of fuel per unit spread over the fleet not about keeping your 1.5T fresh.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
..another issue with DI is fuel dilution further thinning the 0/20..I intend to run a good 5/30 on the third OCI then do a UOA to confirm.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Use the recommended 0W-20. Since you seem to like premium oils, use this at your first oil change http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum.html
Just look at all the clauses:

Our Best Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus™ Technology
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than our next closest competitor1. No other synthetic keeps your engine cleaner.2

Seven out of 10 new vehicles now require synthetic motor oil,3 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology is exceeding standards and breaking barriers in this growing demand for synthetic motor oil. The same motor oil that you can pour for your own vehicle, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology is used on the racetrack by Hélio Castroneves in his No. 3 Verizon IndyCar Chevrolet. By using Pure Plus™ technology, the revolutionary process of converting natural gas into a 99.5% pure base oil and combining it with high performance additives, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil delivers complete protection without compromise.

Compare Pennzoil motor oils.

Formulations Available Grades
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology

(North American and Japanese/Asian OEMs)
SAE 0W-20

SAE 0W-40

SAE 5W-20

SAE 5W-30

SAE 10W-30

1Based on ILSAC GF–5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W–30, and Ford, Chrysler, GM and Ferrari Specifications. Does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ 0W-40.

2Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30. Pistons from standard V6 engine in ASTM Sequence IIIG test.

3HIS Auto Polk NVPP, Jan ’15.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have to love that Penzoil ad, they picture a bottle of 0/20 and make a handful of wonderful claims based on their 5/30 version of the product, makes my point exactly.
Sponsored