SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
  • Banned
Wife has '04 and I just got a '16 LX. Both love our rides. I have CVT which seems really nice, but what about the '04 ? I always assumed it was a traditional automatic, but can't detect any shift points. Could it also be some kind of CVT ? If traditional, how many speeds ?
Sponsored

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
but what about the '04 ? I always assumed it was a traditional automatic, but can't detect any shift points. Could it also be some kind of CVT ? If traditional, how many speeds ?
Honda didn't make CVTs in 2004. 2004 Civic came with a 4-speed auto depending on trim level.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
The 04 auto isn't a CVT. However, Honda did something with the clutches to make shifting butter smooth. This is also part of the reason that generation is notorious for auto tranny failures, all the debris from the clutches wearing ends up getting stuck in the "non serviceable" tranny filter. Once the filter starts getting really choked up the flow starts to suffer and boom goes the tranny.

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6spd
Country flag
Well Honda did have a CVT in the 04 Civic Hybrid if that's what she has? Otherwise it's 4-speed automatic

Riggsy77

2020 Hatch Sport M/T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6spd
Country flag
Oh yeah, I forgot about the hybrid. Either way, still proves that a CVT isn't a new thing to Honda. The CVTs have come a ways since then though. The old 4 speed automatics were pretty robust, just not geared very well.
I'm just happy they moved on from them, Toyota still uses them om the Yaris! They finally axed it on the Corolla for 2017.

OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Wife has '04 and I just got a '16 LX. Both love our rides. I have CVT which seems really nice, but what about the '04 ? I always assumed it was a traditional automatic, but can't detect any shift points. Could it also be some kind of CVT ? If traditional, how many speeds ?
Thanks for all responses. Not an Insite, Hybrid or anything else special, so probably a 4 speed. Don't like the non-serviceable filter thing, and don't suppose anything can be done about it ?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
What happened to Google holy shit

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Not sure of your reference. Clarify ?
It's my passive aggressive way of saying how your question could've been answered simply by searching it on Google. A quick search reveals that edmunds.com has literally all the available specs for the 2004 Civic including engine, trim levels, transmission combinations, fuel economy etc. Instead, you ask the question here about your 2004 Civic that is technically irrelevant on this site anyway, and the 11 hours wasted between your original post and the first response could've been eliminated by said search that would've taken 30 seconds.

The fact that you didn't get my reference to begin with tells me you're not too bright.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
It's my passive aggressive way of saying how your question could've been answered simply by searching it on Google. A quick search reveals that edmunds.com has literally all the available specs for the 2004 Civic including engine, trim levels, transmission combinations, fuel economy etc. Instead, you ask the question here about your 2004 Civic that is technically irrelevant on this site anyway, and the 11 hours wasted between your original post and the first response could've been eliminated by said search that would've taken 30 seconds.

The fact that you didn't get my reference to begin with tells me you're not too bright.
Nice ! Where in Calgary is your asylum ?!
Sponsored