0-60 time in warm weather ?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Last November I did some 0-60 testing using an OBD2 reader & the TorquePro app. I did four 0-60 runs, 2 on one day & 2 the following day. 7.67, 7.43, 7.38, 7.38 seconds.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/this-0-60-timer-works-quite-well.43503/

Thought I’d do a few runs today since the roads were clean & dry.
First got 7.9 and 8.2 seconds, temperature was 75°.
Tried later when temperature was 82° and turned off the AC and got 8.4 secs.
All those runs were with trans in “D”. So I tried it again in “L” and got another 8.4 secs.

I'm not trying to set any records & am just curious what the car will do. Most publications indicate the car does 0-60 around 7.0 secs. I'm presuming some of these road tests are done in nice weather. I know temperature affects performance but don't think 75° it really that hot where it should make the difference between 7.0 secs and 8.4 secs.

Could the warmer summer temperature really be making that much difference compared to last fall?
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Last November I did some 0-60 testing using an OBD2 reader & the TorquePro app. I did four 0-60 runs, 2 on one day & 2 the following day. 7.67, 7.43, 7.38, 7.38 seconds.

All those runs were with trans in “D”. So I tried it again in “L” and got another 8.4 secs.

I'm not trying to set any records & am just curious what the car will do. Most publications indicate the car does 0-60 around 7.0 secs. I'm presuming some of these road tests are done in nice weather. I know temperature affects performance but don't think 75° it really that hot where it should make the difference between 7.0 secs and 8.4 secs.

Could the warmer summer temperature really be making that much difference compared to last fall?
Higher temps plus higher humidity means higher IATs. With higher IAT’s the cars ECU will pull timing (meaning you lose hp) in order to protect the engine from overheating. Turbo cars are extremely spotty on hp numbers day to day. It relies heavily on what the ambient temps are for that given day. So what you got one day won’t necessarily mean you’ll get it the next day. It would also depending on you bolt on mods and if you are tuned. As these combined can bring the car to have more consistent numbers day to day compared to stock components/tuning.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks for the input -

Last fall when I played around with this the ambient temperature was cooler. However the streets had a little bit of debris on them left over from an early snowfall which caused a bit of tire slippage. Now the roads are nice & clean & the temperature was moderate, or so I thought, at 75°. I didn’t think there would be any performance loss until temperatures got into the 90s.

Years ago I used to go to the drag strip in the summer & never experienced a loss like this. There are no mods or tune done to the car. I know there’s going to be variations from day to day, but I’ve never seen any road test of a basic 1.5L turbo Civic doing 0-60 as slow as in the 8 second range. How do magazines do reviews in the summer & come up with supposedly accurate data?

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I did some Googling on the topic & found this which showed actual dyno HP results & with a 20° increase in temperature there was a peak loss of 30 wheel horsepower.
https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-effects-of-intake-air-temperatures-on-turbocharged-vehicles/

Looks like they started with 262whp which is a lot more than my Civic, so maybe I might be losing 20HP. Maybe more since I'm comparing to Nov. when I'm sure the temperature was more than 20° cooler than it was yesterday. Guess I have to wait till fall & try again.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I did some Googling on the topic & found this which showed actual dyno HP results & with a 20° increase in temperature there was a peak loss of 30 wheel horsepower.
https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-effects-of-intake-air-temperatures-on-turbocharged-vehicles/

Looks like they started with 262whp which is a lot more than my Civic, so maybe I might be losing 20HP. Maybe more since I'm comparing to Nov. when I'm sure the temperature was more than 20° cooler than it was yesterday. Guess I have to wait till fall & try again.
I have a PRL intercooler and PRL Race CAI, unes for +6 psi on flex fuel. Temperature vary across the cars intake system. I stay watching my IAT’s on the intake and after the intercooler. For a California 82° Day,
IAT after the CAI could easily hit 100° after idling at a red light for 2-3 min, which puts the IAT‘S after the intercooler like at ~ 118°. So don’t assume because the ambient temperatures are 75°’s you car is sucking in 75°’s air. Also it’s a turbo it compresses air, when you compress air you heat it up which will increase temperature even more. On a stock intercooler after 2-4 pulls you’ve already heatsoaked the intercooler, which removed its efficiency to cool the air down and will make you lose even more hp. Intake temperatures can vary on a lot of stuff like how long have you been idling, ambient temperatures, humidity, stock/aftermarket components, tuning, etc. A tuned car on stock components will run hotter as well, which is why it’s a good idea to at least upgrade the intercooler to be able to cool the air without heatsoaking it

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Come to the Type R forums - there’s a lot of threads on how woefully underpowered the stock IC is on our cars. It does NOT take much to get this car into heat soak mode, especially during these hot days.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I looked up some intercoolers & it appears the real good high capacity ones cost between $600 - $1,000. If this was a modded car it would be worth it. But this is my DD. It looks like plain aftermarket ones cost about $75.

Since the engine is stock & the stock turbo is not pushing exorbitant amounts of air through the IC, is there any IC cheaper than $600 that would be beneficial? I did see some in the $200-$300 range that appeared to be direct bolt on swaps, but that might also mean they don't offer any advantage over the stock IC. Are there any ICs I should look into?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I looked up some intercoolers & it appears the real good high capacity ones cost between $600 - $1,000. If this was a modded car it would be worth it. But this is my DD. It looks like plain aftermarket ones cost about $75.

Since the engine is stock & the stock turbo is not pushing exorbitant amounts of air through the IC, is there any IC cheaper than $600 that would be beneficial? I did see some in the $200-$300 range that appeared to be direct bolt on swaps, but that might also mean they don't offer any advantage over the stock IC. Are there any ICs I should look into?
The one that suits your budget is the Garrett intercooler that costs $600 or less over at Ebay. It is just the core without pipes included.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin...onda-civic-1-5l-t-si-performance-intercooler/

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda

I've managed to get 5.8 seconds with stock turbo ktuner 21psi , prl Fmic, pro downpipe and front pipe and prl cai, however I recently bought a w1 turbo upgrade and a got a custom tune thinking I would be be even faster but unfortunately it's worse than stock, I'm now getting 0-60 in 8.7 seconds consistently..
1.5 cvt

Reactions: Myx

Bastrop

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Fit
Country flag
The 1.5 engine is pretty small & even with a turbo, it can only put out so much HP. You're also running it harder to make HP than you would, say, with the 2.0 engine. I watched back to back videos of the Si VS the R. It was amazing how much of a difference there was. I wish Honda would just use the 2.0 in all of it's versions cuz it's a better engine. Would be a lot easier to make 174 HP w/ 2.0 engine, less stress on the engine.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The 1.5 engine is pretty small & even with a turbo, it can only put out so much HP. You're also running it harder to make HP than you would, say, with the 2.0 engine. I watched back to back videos of the Si VS the R. It was amazing how much of a difference there was. I wish Honda would just use the 2.0 in all of it's versions cuz it's a better engine. Would be a lot easier to make 174 HP w/ 2.0 engine, less stress on the engine.
Why do you want Honda to put 2.0 in all versions? Is it not enough for you that your favorite engine is available? You want to impose on others your preference and take away what they want? Why don't you just get the one you like?
"cuz it's a better engine" doesn't convince me.:thumbsdown::rofl:

Your keen observation that 1.5L is a smaller volume than 2.0L is right on.:thumbsup: but the volume doesn't get stressed. :p

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Gruber on this one. Obviously a 2.0 turbo will put out the higher power but there's a reason Honda is choosing the 1.5T for the majority of the Civics...

At it's heart, the Civic is a economy car. The base 1.5T can run well on 87, puts out enough power to put a smile on your face and gets great mpgs too.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm glad the car uses 87 octane. Just looking at GasBuddy, the closest 87 octane TopTier to me is $2.29 & a little further it's $2.22. The closest 93 octane TT is $3.31 & a little further it's $3.29. Costco is cheaper but their gas station is closed because they're expanding it & adding more pumps.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag