“Feel” = Better Handling?

dr.jamzzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 2019
Country flag
Finally purchased a 2017 Si as my 1st manual car as a treat yourself for finishing medical school to replace my aging 2001 Lexus. I have always read about rear antisway bars being a cost effective suspension mod to improve handling but that going too stiff can cause lift-off oversteer.

Question for the drivers who autoX or track their vex hikes on rear sway bar modifications. I read the threads on the CTR sway bar and people have committed a improvement in handling and how the car feels more planted and more willing to rotate. My question is on a stock Si, will the CTR rear sway bar really improve the handling characteristics of the chassis or actually upset the dynamics of the chassis in exchange for the “feel” of a car with more rotational capabilities?
Sponsored

TheAsianNguyen

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Now, I haven't modded my SI quite yet, but I have put in a sway bar and that being said, It's one of the most noticeable feeling handling upgrades you can get it apart from springs/coilovers. I don't think you'll have to worry about snap over-steer due to the fact that the car is front wheel drive. Of course, it feels a little off if you were to upgrade only the rear and not both sways so I'd recommend waiting for more support on the aftermarket scene, but if you feel like slapping on rear sways, be my guest.

Also, congrats on finishing med school and the purchase of your SI!

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I would drive the car stock for a bit and decide for yourself. I've found this car is fairly neutral up until around 8/10 when the sidewalls start to flex. Only then can you feel the understeer as the front begins to slide a bit more over the rear.

I might suggest posing this question in the AutoX forum and get some feedback from the regulars over there. A few of them have already upgraded to the CTR bar or have it on order. GL.

OP
OP

dr.jamzzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 2019
Country flag
Now, I haven't modded my SI quite yet, but I have put in a sway bar and that being said, It's one of the most noticeable feeling handling upgrades you can get it apart from springs/coilovers. I don't think you'll have to worry about snap over-steer due to the fact that the car is front wheel drive. Of course, it feels a little off if you were to upgrade only the rear and not both sways so I'd recommend waiting for more support on the aftermarket scene, but if you feel like slapping on rear sways, be my guest.

Also, congrats on finishing med school and the purchase of your SI!
Thanks for the input!

I would drive the car stock for a bit and decide for yourself. I've found this car is fairly neutral up until around 8/10 when the sidewalls start to flex. Only then can you feel the understeer as the front begins to slide a bit more over the rear.

I might suggest posing this question in the AutoX forum and get some feedback from the regulars over there. A few of them have already upgraded to the CTR bar or have it on order. GL.
I agree the car is fairly neutral during turn in. I will prolly keep the rear sway bar stock and focus replacing the OEM all seasons when they wear out with Michelin PSS or PS4 and lighter rims like RPF1s and call it a day in the handling department.
Sponsored