“Emissions System Problem”, “Engine System Problem”. Getting 4-15MPG on my 2019 Honda Civic Sedan. “Oil Life” % meter. Plz help

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Touring Sedan (automatic)
Country flag
My two previous Civics (2013 & 2016 sedans) always had excellent gas mileage.
But my 2019 Honda Civic Touring Sedan started getting horrific gas mileage last winter- when I kept accumulating a mass amount of fluids in my exhaust. Loud gurgling, that would stop bystanders & have them like, “W..T..F..?!”..and i’ve soaked a few folks, after hitting the gas.

Last spring, the dealership said, they “didn't hear what i was talking about”.
They “couldn't find my warranty” info. So, i’d have to pay for them to investigate.
They drained the “water” from my exhaust, and told me “to avoid water” &/or “don’t drive in the rain”.
My gas mileage improved..Until* about 2 months ago..

October 2022
, at just under 34,900 miles.. I started my car, and the loud gurgling returned. My average MPG meter randomly reset itself to 4MPG.
Honda Civic 10th gen “Emissions System Problem”, “Engine System Problem”. Getting 4-15MPG on my 2019 Honda Civic Sedan. “Oil Life” % meter. Plz help 7AC55D98-E293-42B4-BEC1-E516BB762B37

(a horrific NEW, ALL-TIME-LOW😭😭)
My car wasn't exposed to any rain, puddles, any water of any kind (severe drought) not even a car wash😅..
The gurgling atleast comes & goes now, after i drive it around a bit in Sports-mode..
BUT* still, no relief when it comes to my gas mileage. I’m currently stuck between 13-15MPG.
I’ve started logging my mileage w/ my frequent trips to the gas pump. I feel like i didn't even buy a Civic😭

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? Know of any solutions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ignore the MPG meter for now.
Make sure your tires are at the proper air pressure and the brakes aren't dragging (does the car slow quickly when you take your foot off the gas without braking?)
Record your odometer reading or trip A/B readings next time you fill up and run tank down as low as you feel comfortable before you refill. At that fill-up record the number of gallons or liters (not litters - meow) put in the tank along with your odometer reading or trip A/B readings and hand calculate your mileage - you should be getting 20 mpg or better.
Not sure what dealer did to "drain your exhaust" - that's a puzzle, if you're not refilling the anti-freeze weekly.
If you need help doing calculations just post here and let us know which state or providence (city is better) you live in.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There was a gas station off I-95 where I live that got in trouble by having water-contaminated fuel. It’s been going for a long time, but I’d try getting fuel elsewhere just to test that variable in case you’re getting junky gas… especially if you consistently buy from the same location. I admit, it’s a long shot. Just trying to think outside the box.

https://www.news4jax.com/i-team/202...gas-station-cost-drivers-hundreds-of-dollars/

I’m generally not pro-fuel additives… but I know Heet makes products to help with water-comprised fuel systems.

All the previous recommendations to ensure there aren’t other things wrong with your car are good ones… and to monitor your coolant levels as that’s normally the only way water could be introduced through a bad head gasket. Or driving through deeeep water… but even then that’s be a singular event that’d correct through heat and time. Back when I had my Si… my computer was within 2 mpgs of me doing math.. and often only about 1 off.

No car or driver are the same, but I don’t think I could have gotten under 15 mpgs if I tried and maybe got under 30 mpgs for a tank (and I’m talking 28-29) in 3 years of having that car.

Good luck.

Berserk_FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe SI
Country flag
Could maybe be the injectors drowning the cylinders in gas, if there’s liquid coming out of the exhaust consistently that’s a huge concern. Could also be spark plugs not igniting properly, also drowning itself in unburnt gas. Definitely get it checked out

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
If it's that bad, I would contact Honda USA and open a case if the dealer says there is no issue. If it's going through that much fuel, your oil is going to saturated with fuel. Which will end up killing the engine.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
If you are getting that bad of gas mileage you should be setting a p0172 rich condition code by now. Your warranty info is done via a "VIN inquiry" with your Honda service writer. Seeing that your car is a 2019, it had a 3yr/36k mile cover-it-all-except-maintenance-stuff warranty, the engine has a 5yr/60k mile warranty that this would most likely fall under, so you should be under warranty still.

Take it to the dealer again, have them check short and long term fuel trims. They should be between like 0.95-1.05 to be normal. Then have them do an A/F cylinder balance test in order to check for leaking injectors. Funny enough, a well working catalytic converter in the exhaust system will create a good amount of water as a biproduct of cleaning the exhaust gases. You should be trying to troubleshoot a poor fuel economy condition, refrain from telling them about water coming out the exhaust, it will just throw off a junior technician.

OP
OP
touringsedan2019
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ignore the MPG meter for now.
Make sure your tires are at the proper air pressure and the brakes aren't dragging (does the car slow quickly when you take your foot off the gas without braking?)
Record your odometer reading or trip A/B readings next time you fill up and run tank down as low as you feel comfortable before you refill. At that fill-up record the number of gallons or litters put in the tank along with your odometer reading or trip A/B readings and hand calculate your mileage - you should be getting 20 mpg or better.
Not sure what dealer did to "drain your exhaust" - that's a puzzle, if you're not refilling the anti-freeze weekly.
If you need help doing calculations just post here and let us know which state or providence (city is better) you live in.
I’ve started filling-up when i’ve got a gallon or less, of gas left in the tank (which is every 1-3 days) & a month or so ago, i started logging my gas trips w/ my odometer/mileage & how many gallons i filled-up, yada yada.. Unfortunately, the mileage reading all adds-up & is correct😭 Originally, i had thought that it was just because the range/average fuel gauge had reset itself- and that i just needed to ignore it & drive a bit, until it went back-up to normal.. But, I’m actually burning thru all that gas😅

I’m in OC, NYS.
My last 2 previous cars were honda civics (2013 & 2016). & i Never had these issues with them..& of course those were leases, & i bought this one out-right😅..
My 2013 got well over 40+mpg on average.

OP
OP
touringsedan2019
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are getting that bad of gas mileage you should be setting a p0172 rich condition code by now. Your warranty info is done via a "VIN inquiry" with your Honda service writer. Seeing that your car is a 2019, it had a 3yr/36k mile cover-it-all-except-maintenance-stuff warranty, the engine has a 5yr/60k mile warranty that this would most likely fall under, so you should be under warranty still.

Take it to the dealer again, have them check short and long term fuel trims. They should be between like 0.95-1.05 to be normal. Then have them do an A/F cylinder balance test in order to check for leaking injectors. Funny enough, a well working catalytic converter in the exhaust system will create a good amount of water as a biproduct of cleaning the exhaust gases. You should be trying to troubleshoot a poor fuel economy condition, refrain from telling them about water coming out the exhaust, it will just throw off a junior technician.
The last time i went to honda, i was under the 36k mark, & Honda said they couldnt find my warranty/info?🤔😅 So i’ve had to pay out of pocket

OP
OP
touringsedan2019
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There was a gas station off I-95 where I live that got in trouble by having water-contaminated fuel. It’s been going for a long time, but I’d try getting fuel elsewhere just to test that variable in case you’re getting junky gas… especially if you consistently buy from the same location. I admit, it’s a long shot. Just trying to think outside the box.

https://www.news4jax.com/i-team/202...gas-station-cost-drivers-hundreds-of-dollars/

I’m generally not pro-fuel additives… but I know Heet makes products to help with water-comprised fuel systems.

All the previous recommendations to ensure there aren’t other things wrong with your car are good ones… and to monitor your coolant levels as that’s normally the only way water could be introduced through a bad head gasket. Or driving through deeeep water… but even then that’s be a singular event that’d correct through heat and time. Back when I had my Si… my computer was within 2 mpgs of me doing math.. and often only about 1 off.

No car or driver are the same, but I don’t think I could have gotten under 15 mpgs if I tried and maybe got under 30 mpgs for a tank (and I’m talking 28-29) in 3 years of having that car.

Good luck.
Oh, wow! I wouldnt be surprised if my regular gas station near me (Cumberland Farms) was pulling that😅 But, i have re-filled at several other stations, & still no improvement “/
Car had been 150% dry for months (drought & i hadnt washed it😬) when this all started back up w/ the water in the exhaust..

tire pressure has been good. I actually was somehow getting better gas mileage back when i was having a slow-leak outta my one tire?(but i also wasn’t having this current issue at the time)😅

with my 2016 EX-L, i actually had submerged it driving thru running flood water during a few hurricanes..& driven thru any &/or everything😅
i’d need a tank & maybe a half of gas, to go from NY to NC & vice-versa.. which was one of the things that i loved about my civics

Last edited:

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
My 2 previous civics (2014 & 2016 sedans) always had excellent gas mileage.
But my 2019 honda civic touring sedan started getting horrific gas mileage last winter, when I kept accumulating a mass amount of water in my exhaust. Loud gurgling that would stop by standers & have them like “W..t..F..?!”..and i’d soak folks when i’d hit the gas.

Last spring, the dealership said they didn't hear what i was talking about. They couldnt find my warranty info, & said i’d have to pay for them to investigate.
They drained the water from my exhaust, and told me to avoid water.
My gas mileage improved, until about 2 months ago..
I started my car, and the loud gurgling returned. My average MPG meter randomly reset itself to 4MPG. & My car wasnt exposed to any rain, puddles, any water of any kind (severe drought) not even a car wash😅..
The gurgling atleast comes & goes now, after i drive it around a bit in Sports-mode, BUT* still no relief when it comes to my gas mileage. I’m currently stuck between 13-15MPG. I’ve started logging my mileage w/ my frequent trips to the gas pump. I feel like i didnt even buy a civic😭
Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? Know of any solutions?
is it make that gurgling sound from the mufflers especially when idling after warm up ?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
1) Honda couldn't have looked very hard as all non-commercial Honda Civics under 3/36 whole car or 5/50 drivetrain have warranty unless they voided it for reason.
2) If you're driving (traffic and right foot or brake) about like your previous Civics, there's either something seriously wrong with the vehicle or you're sharing gas with the neighborhood.

OP
OP
touringsedan2019
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
is it make that gurgling sound from the mufflers especially when idling after warm up ?
Videos i took right after* my neighbor had walked-up & heard my car.. and told me to hit the gas, & it literally SOAKED him😭😭😭 [last year, when it happened the 1st time with my car]

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Videos i took right after* my neighbor had walked-up & heard my car.. and told me to hit the gas, & it literally SOAKED him😭😭😭 [last year, when it happened the 1st time with my car]

It sounds like it used to with my car within 3 months or less of owning my car. It sounds kind of the same thing as yours but ur sounds way more louder then I had. I did have a video of it on my old phone I took it to the Honda dealership I bought my car from. All they told me was to drive the car more faster go on highway hit some fast speeds. I did notice the noise always went away when I drive on S gear with ECON off and going fast on highway. It go away for like a few days but then comes back due to idling for long time (this was when cold weather starting) or when I drive in the city as a granny used to do it a lot when I first got the car I try to be very careful with it for a very good while that's when I noticed the sound always came back more so

Stomekuttt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
I found this on the ole YouTubes. I’ll link the video. Long story short it was the intercooler. Maybe this is the cause? Check and see if you are building any boost.

OP
OP
touringsedan2019
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took it back to Honda the end of December (12/28/2022) for an oil change & the on-going GS/MPG issue.. They said that they didnt have time to attempt to figure-out why i get 14MPG..
I’ve driven approximately 700miles since then, & my “oil life” is down to 50% now😭(never in my whole life😭)..

(This may be a dumb question😅) But, I was wondering if it’s maybe my 1.5 L ‘Earth Dreams’ turbo direct injection engine?
Since..
1.) My 2016 LX was the 2.0L ‘Earth Dreamsturbo engine.. and i never had fuel economy issues, nor anything like i’ve been experiencing w/ my current 2019 1.5L
&, 2.) They’re suppose to be avoiding/swerving the on-going issue w/ those class-action lawsuits regarding the engines dilution/contamination issue?
So, maybe it’s actually been my gasoline contaminating my engine/oil?
&, Maybe that’s actually what has been filling-up my exhaust? (and after, they played dumb about it? they just lied, and said it was “water”?)?.. idk..?
..Could that be a possibility? Or, anyway related? Now i’m insure who i should take my car to
Sponsored

Last edited: