‘17 Si smells awful after driving hard

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2017 Accord EX-L, 1984 Toyota Pickup
New 17 Si. Has 1900 miles on it as if this writing. Got KTuner in the mail today and set up on the 19.5/23.5 dual map. Took the car out and ran it the hardest it’s been run since new. When I say hard, I was shifting at 4-4.5k, not redline, for 5-10 minutes. When I got out of the car it smells like something was burning. Checked oil, it’s fine. Don’t see any oil anywhere in engine bay. Don’t see a busted coolant hose anywhere. Any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ktuner has turned your engine into a beast. Unfortunately not one the stock clutch is necessarily up for.
Well, Vit is supposed to be emailing me an even more aggressive “stage 1” tune, so I guess the clutch will just get abused more.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
Wonder why such a weak sauce clutch in these cars? They go through the trouble of giving the SI LSD, better brakes, adaptive suspension, and more horsepower, why not a stronger clutch to go along with a sportier vehicle? Especially when Honda is supposedly all about reliability and they can't have a little headroom in the strength of the clutch to not even handle a tune? Not to mention I read (maybe it was VitViper) where the clutch was slipping on the dyno completely stock and un-tuned? Bad Honda, bad! I can 100% guarantee you that you can lightly mod a Mustang GT, Challenger, or Camaro SS and those stock clutches aren't going to be slipping like a childs play toy!

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, Vit is supposed to be emailing me an even more aggressive “stage 1” tune, so I guess the clutch will just get abused more.
You may want to take a look at the Clutchmasters FX350. :thumbsup:

rapjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
Overheated clutches have a rather unique smell. Since the car is so new, what you smelled may have also been exhaust parts simply getting especially hot for the first time, and maybe brakes getting hot too, depending on how you were driving. If your clutch releases were quick and smooth, there's no need to jump to the conclusion that the smell came from the clutch. On the other hand, if you were practicing hard launches over and over, then the likelihood of it being the clutch is much higher. I can't tell from your original post what sort of driving you were doing.

OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not launching. Shifting was quick and smooth. Was driving on curvy, cresting back roads so was a fair amount of braking and downshifting also. It was definitely the hardest I’ve pushed the car, so the exhaust getting hot for the first time kinda makes sense. It didn’t smell like what I know as a “clutch smell”.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wonder why such a weak sauce clutch in these cars? They go through the trouble of giving the SI LSD, better brakes, adaptive suspension, and more horsepower, why not a stronger clutch to go along with a sportier vehicle? Especially when Honda is supposedly all about reliability and they can't have a little headroom in the strength of the clutch to not even handle a tune? Not to mention I read (maybe it was VitViper) where the clutch was slipping on the dyno completely stock and un-tuned? Bad Honda, bad! I can 100% guarantee you that you can lightly mod a Mustang GT, Challenger, or Camaro SS and those stock clutches aren't going to be slipping like a childs play toy!
I'm guessing because they don't expect people to drive a Civic like a race car (except Type R) and also don't put in the extra holding power for a retune for the same reason.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Could be brake smell if you aren't use to it. Less likely tire smell, most people know what that is like. If it's clutch you should notice the slipping.

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It can't be the clutch because i have a CVT and i have the same thing happening to mine

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you were really hard on the brakes that certainly could be the source of the smell.

OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New problem now. I uploaded the dual stage tune and have been driving it kinda hard, here and there and I’ve noticed that occasionally when I’m driving, get to 3-3500 rpm and am maybe 3/4 throttle, the car will rev up to 3500 and then quickly drop to 3k, then rev up and be fine. It’s a strange feeling and not sure what’s causing it. If it was going from 3k and quickly revving to 3500 I’d think the clutch was slipping. Any ideas on this?

I can make a video and post to show what the RPMs are doing if it might help. It’ll be tonight before I can do that though.

Last edited by a moderator:

natethegreat

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R / Ap1 S2000
Country flag
17 si here as well, I know what smell your talking about it’s not really a burning smell. More a carbon smell. Happens to me when I push my car more than I usually do. I’m not entirely sure what the smell is because it happens even after a fresh oil change and it’s not the brakes. Curious if this happens to the type R’s as well.
Sponsored