Blane

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi everyone! Just thought I would post my before/after shot of my recently plasti dipped Si wheels in case someone wanted to see what it looks like. The process wasn't too difficult and it looks great but I'm interested to see how long it lasts. I'll update if I notice any problems. Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Plasti Dipped Wheels 17 Civic Si Plastidip Comparison
Sponsored

Rebellious_Shea

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
Country flag
Hi everyone! Just thought I would post my before/after shot of my recently plasti dipped Si wheels in case someone wanted to see what it looks like. The process wasn't too difficult and it looks great but I'm interested to see how long it lasts. I'll update if I notice any problems. Thanks!

17 Civic Si Plastidip Comparison.jpg
Thank youuuuu, I’ve even thinking doing it. Glad to actually see how it looks.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
painting them looks so much better and isn’t that much harder imo. if you’re interested in the process i can link a post i made on the process i went through painting my wheels.

OP
OP
Blane

Blane

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
So, I took my car for about an hour drive down the highway in the rain and noticed some peeling around the edges of my driver's side wheels when I arrived. I was very disappointed since I loved the way they looked but when I got home, I took a closer look at them. I'm thinking it has to do with the tire shine I used to help get the dip of the tires. I spread tire shine on the tires before spraying on the plasti dip and although I tried to make sure to clean off any extra that got on the wheel, I think some might have still been on there causing this to peel. I've already bought 2 more cans to re-do these 2 wheels and I'll be a much more careful to keep any tire shine off the wheel this time. I love the look and enjoyed painting them too much to give up yet!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Plasti Dipped Wheels 20210317_142330

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Plasti Dipped Wheels 20210317_142324

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
honestly, i'd say if you're putting all this effort in, you might as well do it the best way possible. do it right or do it twice, as my dad used to say :) here's a post i made about the painting process, and here's a link to some better tire shine, should you stick to the plastidip.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to plasti-dip my wheels on my TSX. The first time I just sprayed the entire wheel with nothing on the tire and used a microfiber and friction to wipe off excess. The second time I did the index card trick between the wheels and tires to prevent a lot of over spray. It's been two years since i last sprayed my wheels and theyre still holding up. I curbed a small area and it hasnt caused any of the plasti dip to rip.

I also used A LOT of coats to ensure they would adhere.

OP
OP
Blane

Blane

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks so much for the tips. I like the detail you went to in your post about your painting process and the tips on using index cards and extra coats. I would try another method other than plasti-dip, but I really wanted to try something that was easily reversible so plasti-dip is still the way to go for me. I'm going to give it another shot by cleaning extra well around the outer rim, using cards for overspray, and putting on extra coats. I'll update with details on how it goes.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks so much for the tips. I like the detail you went to in your post about your painting process and the tips on using index cards and extra coats. I would try another method other than plasti-dip, but I really wanted to try something that was easily reversible so plasti-dip is still the way to go for me. I'm going to give it another shot by cleaning extra well around the outer rim, using cards for overspray, and putting on extra coats. I'll update with details on how it goes.
If you're set on a reversible process, vinyl is much easier, in both application and removal. here is a vinyl kit on ebay, shouldn't take you more than 1-1.5 hours if it's your first time wrapping. I will say as soon as i painted my wheels, not once did the thought pop into my head of 'nah i liked the chrome better'. granted, everyone has their own taste but personally I think chrome can suck it. I also am biased because chrome and CBP do not look good together. good luck in whatever path you take. don't forget to consider the tire paint, it really holds its worth for the minimal effort it takes to apply.
Sponsored