Austinhr97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Note sure if anyone's asked this before, I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any discussion on it. I know you can get a remote start package for a manual but why didn't Honda incorporate the ability to remote heat via the heated seats and glass defrosters? It would be customizable, for which areas you want to heat and it could only run for 10 minutes before you'd be required to start the car again so that people can't extend it until the battery is drained.

I feel like it would be an ingenious way to save people some money and make getting in the car a little less painful in cold climates. I realized how much it's going to suck this season and didn't understand why Honda didn't provide that luxury since it would easily sell more cars.
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Heat is the lowest form of energy. It consumes a LOT of power to heat anything up - this is why the cabin is heated using waste heat from the engine coolant. You'd drain the battery very very fast if you tried to use it to heat the cabin.

Or do you mean a remote starter with the option to enable the heated seats?

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Note sure if anyone's asked this before, I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any discussion on it. I know you can get a remote start package for a manual but why didn't Honda incorporate the ability to remote heat via the heated seats and glass defrosters? It would be customizable, for which areas you want to heat and it could only run for 10 minutes before you'd be required to start the car again so that people can't extend it until the battery is drained.

I feel like it would be an ingenious way to save people some money and make getting in the car a little less painful in cold climates. I realized how much it's going to suck this season and didn't understand why Honda didn't provide that luxury since it would easily sell more cars.
Honda doesn't provide that luxury because they save it for their luxury brand lol.

I had a 4th gen Acura TL and it had this feature with the remote starter. If the temp was below a certain threshold, the heat, heated seats, and defroster would turn on automatically with the remote starter. If the temp was above a certain threshold, the AC would turn on automatically.

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Note sure if anyone's asked this before, I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any discussion on it. I know you can get a remote start package for a manual but why didn't Honda incorporate the ability to remote heat via the heated seats and glass defrosters?
Wife’s ‘18 CR-V remote start will turn on temp + defrost + seat heaters if you had them on when you turned it off.

Hard to hear the car without the engine on, ten minutes wouldn’t cut it, so it’s not really feasible as an option without being part of remote start.

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
So during the worst climate for your battery you want to drain it further by turning on heated seats and defrosters? You know that your tiny honda battery struggles enough as it is to start your car in colder climates, doing this would only leave you stranded with a dead battery more often...Just get a remote starter. Mine turns on my heated seats and defrost below a certain temp and works on manual trans. Viper DS4.

Shazad

So during the worst climate for your battery you want to drain it further by turning on heated seats and defrosters? You know that your tiny honda battery struggles enough as it is to start your car in colder climates, doing this would only leave you stranded with a dead battery more often...Just get a remote starter. Mine turns on my heated seats and defrost below a certain temp and works on manual trans. Viper DS4.
Other cars does it in any temps though, heck the acura tlx does it all the time if you set it

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
Other cars does it in any temps though, heck the acura tlx does it all the time if you set it
Not sure why that is relevant to the original question, but I can set my heated stuff to come on every time too, I chose to have it only come on below a certain temp. The original question was about turning on heated accessories without the engine running to warm up the car without having to start the engine. It's just a terrible idea.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Not sure why that is relevant to the original question, but I can set my heated stuff to come on every time too, I chose to have it only come on below a certain temp. The original question was about turning on heated accessories without the engine running to warm up the car without having to start the engine. It's just a terrible idea.
You need to re-read the OP. The complaint was why can't the heated seats and defroster run during remote start.

Earlier posts were right. It's a luxury feature, one more point to upgrade to higher models.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
They didn't want to put remote start on a manual. My wifes '18 EX has remote start, my '20 Sport touring 6MT does not, purely because it's a manual. You have to get an aftermarket remote start and find someone willing to install it on manuals.

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
You need to re-read the OP. The complaint was why can't the heated seats and defroster run during remote start.

Earlier posts were right. It's a luxury feature, one more point to upgrade to higher models.
I just re-read it and he is definitely suggesting remote activating the heated seats and defrost WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING, hence the last sentence about it draining the battery.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Running or not, it's not doable on the civic outside of wiring your own switch to the relay on remote start, which isn't a great idea.

Civic is the lower tier just above Fit; not included on lower models when you need incentives to get higher tier models.

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag
Running or not, it's not doable on the civic outside of wiring your own switch to the relay on remote start, which isn't a great idea.

Civic is the lower tier just above Fit; not included on lower models when you need incentives to get higher tier models.
I know how trims and models work lol this is veering way off topic. The OP was asking about activating heated seats to warm up the car instead of starting the engine. It is a terrible idea that will result in a dead battery. I don't care what other models, brands, trims do during remote start, it's completely irrelevant to the topic.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
His exact questions were why didn't Honda include it.

... why didn't Honda incorporate the ability to remote heat via the heated seats and glass defrosters?

...I realized how much it's going to suck this season and didn't understand why Honda didn't provide that luxury since it would easily sell more cars.

slab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si Sedan
Country flag

You left out the important part of the OP in your quote... and the last line you quoted is asking why honda didn't include the luxury of turning on the heated seats instead of a remote start on manual trans cars, which no car manufacturer does, except maybe in an EV that has no ICE.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Note sure if anyone's asked this before, I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any discussion on it. I know you can get a remote start package for a manual but why didn't Honda incorporate the ability to remote heat via the heated seats and glass defrosters?...
Done since 2017 if you have Honda's Remote start feature.
Per the Owner's Manual (pg 407 in MY2017)
"While the engine is running, the vehicle will automatically activate climate control with a preset
temperature of 72°F (22°C).

When it is warm outside:
• The climate control system is activated in recirculation mode.

When it is cold outside:
• The defroster is activated at a moderately warm temperature.
• The rear defogger and door mirror heaters* are activated.
• The seat heaters are activated*."

Or, maybe I misunderstood the question.
Sponsored

Last edited: