Brand new 2020 Si Oil already smelling like gas already after 500 miles.... I thought they fixed this?

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
as far as i know 1.5turbo petrol engine dont have diesel particulate filter, so i dont see why i would use oil for DPF filter, i just use Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 ACEA A3 oil witch has higher HTHS rating than oil what service is using (shell helix ultra 0w-20) HTHS rating is how strong oil film is....
so i got lower wear with A3 oil, but consumption got up a little maybe 0.2l/100km...
and weekly i do some spirited driving where oil gets hot and oil gets even thinner when hot, and i plan to keep this car for 10-15years thats why i will never miss any service ;)
If it is not written on the oil cap then you don’t need C2/C3 oil. Mine has a filter and it is printed on the oil filler cap that C2/3 is mandatory otherwise the sulphate ash or what kills the filter. It was mandatory from n-th month of 2018 in every newly sold petrol vehicle in the Europen Union.

Consider yourself lucky.
Honda Civic 10th gen Brand new 2020 Si Oil already smelling like gas already after 500 miles.... I thought they fixed this? A1C597CD-9754-4AF5-B2B0-F1FA321DA7F3
Sponsored

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i guess i am lucky :)

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This might be an issue for me. My drive to work in the mornings is about 5 min a little over 1 mile. Will this be an issue for me driving to work almost everyday and not letting the engine warming up. I idle the car about 1 min in the morning before I drive because I heard idling these engines for long isn't good. When im going home I take a detour and go up some roads and drive the car harder, not sure what I should do about the mornings tho.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
This might be an issue for me. My drive to work in the mornings is about 5 min a little over 1 mile. Will this be an issue for me driving to work almost everyday and not letting the engine warming up. I idle the car about 1 min in the morning before I drive because I heard idling these engines for long isn't good. When im going home I take a detour and go up some roads and drive the car harder, not sure what I should do about the mornings tho.
You probably have your own reaons but do you really need a car for a 1 mile trip? A used electric or hybrid car would be good too.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Warming it up for a minute will be fine and then try to drive it slowly till things are in optimal temperature.

I myself drive around 2.4 miles one-way to my workplace, and when they ask me to go to their other office that is approx 22 miles one -way.

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You probably have your own reaons but do you really need a car for a 1 mile trip? A used electric or hybrid car would be good too.
Before everything shut down ya but right now I only use it to go to work, got this car about 2 months ago and thought things would clear up by now.

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
When is the best time for checking oil stick level? When I get next oil change I'll check level and I'll keep an eye on it! I smelled 3 times fuel but I'm not sure it was coming from my car or other cars. It was the time that I was driving on highway, there were other cars around me.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
When is the best time for checking oil stick level? When I get next oil change I'll check level and I'll keep an eye on it! I smelled 3 times fuel but I'm not sure it was coming from my car or other cars. It was the time that I was driving on highway, there were other cars around me.
First thing in the morning or before you first drive it for the day after it has been sitting for a while give all the oil a chance to collect back in the oil pan and will give you the most accurate rereading. If you check it shorty after you have been driving a a lot of the oil will still be in the engine coating the parts and it takes at least a few hours for all that oil to drip back down.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have been driving the hell out of this thing. I am not totally freaking out yet I did make an appointment with the dealership but the crake care does not seem to be overfull but if as I mentioned it does have a strong odor of gasoline. Maybe they have "fixed" the problem from the 2017/2018 but it just seems weird I have had other GDIs that did not get the oil smelling like gas at all but being a turbo and a GDI I am sure makes the problem of unburned fuel in the combustion chamber worse.
If "the crankcase does not seem to be overfull," why are you worrying about oill dilution? How can you have oil dilution if it doesn't show on the dipstick?

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If "the crankcase does not seem to be overfull," why are you worrying about oill dilution? How can you have oil dilution if it doesn't show on the dipstick?
I think I was just being hyper vigilant. The oil had a gas smell there was some gas in the oil but probably not a lot and it did seem to get better after I took it for a blast down the highway for a good hour drive so... its a new car and for me a lot of money so I guess maybe I did jump the gun on calling it gas dilution.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a tech for all my life I will try to clarify a few things. One auto manufacturers don’t use break in oils anymore. Break in oil contains high zinc concentrations which cost the inside of the engjne and with today’s materials you don’t need that. They lowered zinc due to emissions. If you warranty a motor it doesnt come with special oil. Bearings and camshafts use special coatings that no longer need high zinc fir a barrier. They do recommend you take it easy for the first 500 to 1000 miles.

The only thing that will fix this issue is a software reflash. The gas smell is from cylinder wash down from way too much fuel being used. It reduces the oil coat the cylinder walls and makes it easier for gas itself to get by piston rings. All cars due this to some degree. Oil turns black from carbon. If a cold sfart rich condition caused this it would smell even with the catalytic converter. Not to mention it’s not as much fuel at idle. What the most likely culprit is the catalytic protection fuel table. This kicks in dumping more fuel when the gasses are considered too high of a temperature and can damage the catalytic converter. This happens under load condition which higher rpm and pressure push more fuel passed the piston rings. Faulty egt calculations could cause this.
If this isn’t the case then something is causing it to continue to run rich possibly from getting stuck in a catalytic heating cycle which Depending on manufacturer adds more fuel, changes cam timing and retards ignition to allow more flame front to heat the converter. It’s often noticeable on turbo cars with an exhaust will have a louder cold start fir approximately 30 seconds and up to a couple minutes. Some manufacturers do it differently.
it could be running rich all the time. No matter the reason it’s definitely software related. You wouldn’t have this many critical part failures. Supposedly some people have said with 2019 they had software flash that fixed this.
Do not think that it’s ok to leave your oil full of gas. Gas breaks down the film tension of the oil wearing bearings out. Many people back in the day stuffing to big a carburetor or too big of jets ruined engines this way. if you run higher ethanol content you require more fuel and this can degrade oil faster but not at the rate people are saying.
This is way too fast.
There are a few other possible causes but all lead back to software.
I would not hesitate and keep running it on gas soaked oil. You will either create premature wear or damage the engine. If you still think break in oil is used what good is it soaked in gas which is a solvent??
If this is the case, why did Honda have a bulletin out saying to leave the initial fill in as long as possible and not to change it early? I have no idea where it is on here now, it's been over a year since I saw it, but it was definitely on here. Said something about moly additives to coat the engine parts iirc.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If this is the case, why did Honda have a bulletin out saying to leave the initial fill in as long as possible and not to change it early? I have no idea where it is on here now, it's been over a year since I saw it, but it was definitely on here. Said something about moly additives to coat the engine parts iirc.
They use assembly lube when they put the engine together which has a lot of molybdenum in it and that gets left in when they fill the oil so I would say there is some benefit from that but I think he was saying they do not use a special "break in" oil or additive package like they used too. Its just the standard Honda 0w-20 Motor Oil but the assembly lube gets mixed in with it giving it a higher than normal Moly content that would help break in the engine.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They use assembly lube when they put the engine together which has a lot of molybdenum in it and that gets left in when they fill the oil so I would say there is some benefit from that but I think he was saying they do not use a special "break in" oil or additive package like they used too. Its just the standard Honda 0w-20 Motor Oil but the assembly lube gets mixed in with it giving it a higher than normal Moly content that would help break in the engine.
Ok, makes sense. But for a lot of people, like me who didn't know that or too much about these things, i think they consider the first fill break in oil cause it does contain something regular oil didn't and they recommend not changing it early. That's why I asked cause I really didn't know.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know this is a known issue I guess though I was under the impression that it had been fixed after the 2019 model year. Checking my oil today. Just under 500 miles on the Earth Dreams 1.5T 4 Cyl GDI. Oil had fairly strong odor of gasoline. I do not know how diluted it is exactly the oil it takes is so thin anyway and it did not appear overfilled but there is for sure some gas in the engine oil. Considering bringing it to the attention of the dealership if for no other reason than to have it on record that I did say something even if they tell me its normal or there is nothing they can do but am wondering if anyone has had similar issues with the 2020 models with this engine and if they brought it to the attention of Honda and if so what if anything was done about it?

Also, and not sure if it is a related issue but in my experience I think it could be. I hooked my Autel 906 up to the car and monitored the live data while it was idling and while I was driving it. It is showing misfires in every cylinder. Not many 1 or 2 ever couple of minutes. Not enough to trigger a MIL light but its still a bit concerning to me. Again wondering if anyone has ran into any similar issues either together with the gas in oil or separately.
This is common for DI engines, there is no real fix for this. Just change your oil every 3-5k and don't wait for the light to come on and you should be good.