Do you ever feel it's a waste to build your Si?

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You will absolutely go faster in a straight line and absolutely will not go faster the first time you have to turn the wheel or stop. I hope you enjoy it, but straight line is absolutely not what the Type R is about.

It's not hard to build a car faster in a straight line than a Type R. It is very hard to build a car faster around a track or autocross than a Type R and his Sport will absolutely not be that.
I agree. Straight line sure, but at the track, different story. It would be fun to surprise Type R's around town though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I hope that the goal of us non Type R guys is not to out perform a Type R. That kind of validates my point about the waste thing. I hope it's more of an individuality and just have fun with my car kind of thing.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't care about the peen measuring. I've added on to my car for me. People used to laugh when I suggested audio add-ons as first mod instead of a tuner. I don't care. I have different priorities.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone as far down the rabbit hole as I ended up, but when I get in my car, I'm still excited to drive it. Every. Single. Time.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't care about the peen measuring. I've added on to my car for me. People used to laugh when I suggested audio add-ons as first mod instead of a tuner. I don't care. I have different priorities.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone as far down the rabbit hole as I ended up, but when I get in my car, I'm still excited to drive it. Every. Single. Time.
To be honest, at the end of the day, that's all that matters ?

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
The Si is a great platform because there are sooooo many aftermarket parts available. Whether it be performance or dress up mods, the choices are endless and is one of the main reasons why I bought it. At this point I feel like I've made it my own knowing I won't come across another one exactly like mine. I can easily say it is one of the funnest cars I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The only reason to not get the type R imo the price. Other than that, I see no reason not to. If I could have afforded nearly 40k for a Civic, I would have but I got my Si well below MSRP so here I am. Definitely not dumping the difference into my Si either.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I thought the Mfactory only works with the base or non Si trannys. I'm pretty ok with my Si, I've got a GT350 when I need to go fast. Just flashed the ktune base map on the civic for fun.
I just picked up the KTuner last month with the TSP tune and ran that for about 300 miles before switching over to Phearable for the last 600 miles. I might switch back to TSP at some point just to compare but so far have been extremely happy with Phearable ?

Also, how do you like the GT350? I was considering swapping my 19 Z06 for a 20 GT500 but think I will hold out for C8 Z06.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Right. And after all that you'll torque steer like a Mazdaspeed3 and STILL not corner as hard as a Type R.

Or just sell all of this for a Type R.
The type r is not the end all be all. I bet the majority of people here have never even been to a track. More likely a drag strip if anything.

So where do they get the most of their enjoyment from? Daily driving, probably WOT pulls coming onto a highway or just happening to pull up next to someone and do a quick roll race. Where being able to take a turn faster will not help you at all.

How many people here are a good enough driver to even push the type r to its limits? Who here thinks they can get a lap time with the type r as good as a professional driver?

Someone else mentioned it but the question of is it a waste to mod 'x car' can always be asked. I can argue it's just as much a waste to mod a type r to be faster just as much as any other civic.
I can find a 2019 Mustang GT premium for less than 30k and less than 30k miles. Why get a type r and mod it when I can get something that, from the factory, has over 150 more hp than it?

You can say for the better handling but how often are you getting the chance to push the type r that hard to take full advantage of its handling prowess?

At the end of the day, it's all about what makes you happy and how much enjoyment you get out of it. Cause there is always another car out there that would make modding your own, type r included, seem not worth it.

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I was thinking the exact same thing a week or 2 ago. As someone who has put 10K into my Si, I was like damn, I should have just pulled the trigger on the R. But instead of sitting there being ungrateful, I realized I have a more practical daily driver, and it truly is customized to my liking. I still think my next purchase will be a CTR down the road though. I love my car but it just doesn't have the power I'm looking for. And going big turbo or flex fuel is down the road for me. At the end of the day, I have a car that I love and I enjoy driving every single time I get in it. Can't complain about that.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Non Si owner perspective here.

A sport touring is about 31k CAD while a CTR is 45k. Not to mention I had to finance which is the difference between 1.49% and over 5%.

So even if I spend 7k in performance mods using spare income over the years I'll own the car, it'll take a tame but sporty car and make it extremely fun to drive on the streets.

I would LOVE a CTR but it simply wasn't in the cards for me at this time. I'm also a modder at heart so even if I had an R I would want to tinker with it. Right now I have a comfortable car payment, and my car is being customized to my liking. Its a fun daily.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just bought a Si and was considering this myself. I especially have to consider since I paid for the extra warranty on my Si which may or may not be honored if I throw a tune on it and something goes wrong so I am keeping in to things I can do without changing the stock config to much. No tune, no muffler delete, not catback exhaust, but I did put on some performance shift bushings and a boot collar and shifter knob and a pedal adjust bracket to enhance my driving experience without risking my warranty and if I want to trade up is a couple years easy enough to change back to the stock config. If you want to mod out your Honda for sure do not buy one brand new and finance it I would say.

SleepyFC1

The Minister of Truth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally, I think the CTR looks like ass, I can't stand the factory wheels, and fit in my Si way better. I enjoy pulling on WRX's when they don't expect it, and I can get gas without anybody bothering me. I just can't justify $40K+ for a Civic, nomatter what. I'm nowhere close to having $10K extra into my Si, and I enjoy it as much, if not more than I would a CTR. And it's paid off. Couldn't have done that on a car almost double the price.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I could have stretched to a CTR quite easily. However, I don’t have the cash or space to run a winter beater. I put over 40k kms a year on my car, just didn’t seem right for something as special as a Type R.

I’m not modding much past stock. I may or may not get an SRI down the road. Not for performance, strictly for sound.

Im currently KTuner with Phearable OTS tune (no GOD mode) and I find the performance completely satisfying. The car flys with this tune.
A ton of major kills on the roads, nothing at the Civics price point can touch it.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Personally, I think the CTR looks like ass, I can't stand the factory wheels, and fit in my Si way better. I enjoy pulling on WRX's when they don't expect it, and I can get gas without anybody bothering me. I just can't justify $40K+ for a Civic, nomatter what. I'm nowhere close to having $10K extra into my Si, and I enjoy it as much, if not more than I would a CTR. And it's paid off. Couldn't have done that on a car almost double the price.
Nothing better than having a nice car that is paid off. I love that feeling!!!I traded out of my Tucson that was paid off for the Si but I got a good trade in on it so I only owe 10K and am gonna pay that off as quick as I can.
Sponsored