Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters.

Marko

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Honda Civic X (in USA & Canada) release 2015 - 2020 have 2(!) differing models of CVT transmission:

1. Еngine 2.0 (K20C2) - CVT model M-CVT (modification transmission JDJC)
2. Еngine 1.5 (L15B7) - CVT model LL-CVT (modification transmission MCKA)

Different CVT models - this is a different attitude to service (and different filters). I could not find this information here on the forum. We live in Russia and we have previously encountered the maintenance of these CVTs. Large temperature difference. In winter minus 35 degrees Celsius (-31 F), and in summer plus 35 degrees Celsius (95 F). - for the normal operation of the CVT, frequent maintenance is necessary. We in Russia change the fluid in the transmission - once a year. And here a problem arises (with which we already encountered earlier) that depending on the engine, the CVTs are different and different materials are needed to replace the oil. Therefore, we collected information here and decided to share it with you (I ask in advance for the quality of my English, I only teach it).

1.5-liter turbocharged engine, (L15B7) + LL-CVT CVT on Honda Civic (tenth generation):

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. oCAAAgKI7eA-960

Engine 2.0 liter atmospheric i-VTEC DOHC I4 (K20C2) + CVT M-CVT on Honda Civic (tenth generation):

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. IQAAAgGI7eA-960

1. model M-CVT (modification transmission JDJC)
2 model LL-CVT (modification transmission MCKA)

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. 0gaaagfdk-a-960-

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. rgaaagjdk-a-960-

The CVT LL-CVT model is also installed on other Honda vehicles (which are equipped with a 1.5 engine). But there are other modifications of this CVT model -

- Honda Civic (USA) release 2015 - 2020 years.
- Honda Accord (USA), release 2017 - 2020.
- Honda CR-V (USA), release 2016 - 2020

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. qQAAAgI3_eA-960

below the plate of various modifications (the plate is in Russian, since I myself am from Russia, but everything is clear without translation) -

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. ugAAAgJGE-A-960

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. mgAAAgDX_eA-960

Oil change in the CVT LL-CVT (MCKA, BA7A, BRHA, BRGA).

Oil change intervals are once every 40,000 km (25,000 miles). In the instruction manual (in the manual - https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2019/Civic-Hatchback/manuals ) it is written verbatim:

"... Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance
Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed
every 25,000 miles (40,000 km). "

Replacement is very simple. The variator (CVT) pan is removed, the pan gasket, the coarse filter (in the pan) are changed. And behind the oil cooler (it is on the side of the variator, the diagrams below explain and show in detail) the variator fine filter changes.

Catalog numbers of original consumables:

1. Coarse filter (Strainer Assy) - 25420-5LJ-003 (aka number 254205LJ003)
2. The fine filter behind the oil cooler (Filter) - 25450-P4V-013
3. The laying of the pallet (Gasket, oil pan) - 21814-RJ2-003
4. Recommended oil - Honda HCF-2. The volume during the shift is 3.7-3.9 QTS (this is 3.5 - 3.7 liters).

Now a little more about the subtleties.

Coarse filter (Strainer Assy) - 25420-5LJ-003 is located in the variator (cvt) pan:

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. LQAAAgG3_eA-960

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. 7CAAAgCiE-A-960

There are non-original consumables. Coarse filter (Strainer Assy) instead of 25420-5LJ-003 you can buy the following manufacturers (and their items):

- Premium Guard PT99453
- Linesoon 98723A
- Linesoon K98723A (filter kit + pan gasket)
- JS Asakashi - JT583K (set filter + pallet gasket)

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. 84AAAgOaE-A-960

Pay attention to this important point. The original Honda 25420-5LJ-003 filter (aka number 254205LJ003) looks very much like a filter with a different catalog number, namely 25420-5X9-003 (aka 254205X9003). They are the same size, and outwardly it is very difficult to distinguish from each other. The 25420-5X9-003 filter is designed for other models of Honda variators (those that come with a 2.4-liter engine) and has a difference that is easier to show you in the photos below. These two filters are not interchangeable. Pay attention to this, since every third (!) Person who buys a filter for themselves is mistaken (and this is unnecessary extra expenses):

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. o1AAAgHiE-A-960

Fine filter.

The fine filter has a catalog number 25450-P4V-013. For some reason, many people forget to change it (considering it optional), but this filter is a very important element of the CVT performance. If this filter is "clogged", then problems with the oil pressure in the CVT begin, after which increased wear on the transmission begins. It’s easier to change, especially since it’s not difficult and the filter itself is inexpensive;

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. RAAAAgO3_eA-960

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. HAAAAgO3_eA-960

Non-original fine filters are also from different manufacturers:

1) DOUBLE FORCE DFT3361
2) COB WEB 113610
3) WIX FILTERS 58732
4) ROADRUNNER RR25450P4V013
5) ATP ATP B264
6) ALTO 118940
7) JS ASAKASHI JT381K (filter kit + pan gasket)

Gasket, oil pan — 21814-RJ2-003

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. DAAAAgK3_eA-960

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. fIAAAgNaE-A-960

There are no non-original gaskets (other articles). But firstly, with some non-original coarse filters, a gasket is installed in the kit (these are, in particular, the Linesoon K98723A and JS Asakashi numbers - JT583K). Secondly, the original gasket is not so expensive (from 800 Russian rubles and more expensive, that is, only $ 11- $ 12). Thirdly, if you could not buy at all, then you can put your old pallet gasket.

O-rings (gaskets).

A) Ideally, also change small gaskets (o-rings) under the fine filter. They are lower in the diagram under numbers 3, 4, 5 -

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. waaaagpae-a-960-

№ 3 — 25564-5LJ-A01
№ 4 — 25565-5LJ-A01
№ 5 — 91305-PN4-003

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. siaaage6e-a-960-

At the same time, it’s interesting - if you buy an original (!) Fine filter (25450-P4V-013) then these same o-rings (under No. 4 and No. 5 in the diagram above) are not included with the filter. They go separately (therefore, they also have other catalog numbers). But if you buy a non-original fine filter, then these two o-rings (numbered 4 and 5) usually go together (in a set) with a non-original filter. It seems to be a profitable solution. But there is an important point. These most non-original sealing rings are smaller (do not correspond in thickness), so if there is a choice, it is better not to put them. Here is a comparison photo -

"неоригинал" - no original, "оригинал" - original

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. twaaagg6e-a-960-

If you buy an original coarse filter (25420-5LJ-003), then this gasket (O-ring, it is lower in the diagram under No. 11) comes with the filter in the kit. But if you buy a "non-original" filter, then this ring is not. And it is also desirable to change it. It has the number 91308-5LJ-003. Here below in the photo according to the scheme of what is at stake:

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. gwaaagm6e-a-960-

CVT fluid in LL-CVT

Fluid for CVT models LL-CVT (MCKA, BA7A, BRHA, BRGA) is used only (!) Honda HCF-2 specification. It is necessary (for replacement) only 3.7 liters.
The original oil, depending on the market for sale, has different packaging and different catalog numbers. Here we have specially collected the articles for you:

1. HONDA Article: 0826099964. Capacity: 4 L, (metal canister)
2. HONDA Article 0826999905HE. Capacity: 4 L, (plastic canister)
3. HONDA Article 08200HCF2 Capacity: 0.96 l. (plastic canister)

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. fqaaagkke-a-960-

Of the non-original fluids that are specially (!) Created by one or another manufacturer for the Honda HCF-2 specification, today these are fluid from Ravenol (RAVENOL HCF-2 Fluid), they have the numbers 1211142-001 (1 liter), 1211142-004 (4 liters) and 1211142-020 (20 liters) -

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. 14aaagaae-a-960-

There are also other manufacturers that produce "universal fluids" for CVTs, which (note that "according to the manufacturers' data") also comply with Honda HCF-2 specifications. How true this is is no information. Here it is more likely a question of consumer confidence in a particular brand.

There are many examples on the Internet of oil changes in the LL-CVT variator (MCKA, BA7A, BRHA, BRGA) without removing the pan and without replacing the coarse filter. This method certainly has a right to exist. However, we recommend that you still remove the variator pan and change the filter. The reason is that the small magnets in the variator pan, even with low mileage, have other shavings that must be removed. And the filter itself is very, very dirty. Here's a photo of the magnets in the Honda Accord CVT with just 30,000 miles (45,000 km) mileage on good American roads:

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. nAAAAgL6E-A-960

And here is a photo of the coarse filter (25420-5LJ-003). Pay attention to the state (this is the question of why it is still desirable to change it):

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. VAAAAgBGE-A-960

more detailed information (with diagrams, photographs) is here - https://www.drive2.ru/o/b/558428487803732121/

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a lot of good information. I vote for this to be stickied.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This lot to take in.

The first pair of images are incorrectly labeled: the latter is of the 2.0L powertrain. I spotted this bc the former had the turbo inlet tube.

Does anyone have a link to a guide for the CVT filter maintenance? What about info on how often it is performed? My car has roughly 40k miles, and my 4qt of Amsoil fluid just arrived. Am planning on doing my second fluid change this weekend, but may defer until clear info about the filter comes about.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Great post! My CVT drain bolt is stripped and thought about removing the entire pan to get more leverage to remove and replace the bolt. Doesn’t look hard after all.

OP
OP

Marko

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
CVT M-CVT (JDJC) with 2.0 engine (K20C2) on Honda Civic (X), 2015-2020.

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. ahAAAgJ3k-A-960

Original coarse CVT filter - 25420-5T0-003

Non-original CVT filters:

1. JS Asakashi JT565
2. Cob-Web SF436
3. Cob-Web 114360NA (set - Gasket Oil Pan + filter)

If you buy an original filter (25420-5LJ-003), then this gasket (O-ring, it is lower in the diagram under No. 8) comes with the filter in the kit. But if you buy a "non-original" filter, then this ring is not. And it is also desirable to change it. It has the number 91308-5LJ-003. Here below in the photo according to the scheme of what is at stake:

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. iGAAAgKPk-A-960

Oil pan gasket (Gasket, Oil Pan) - Honda Part No .: 21814-5T0-000
Non-original pallet gaskets:

1. Cob-Web 074360C
2. Cob-Web 114360NA (set - pallet gasket + coarse filter)

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. IMAAAgL3k-A-960

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. 5xAAAgP3k-A-960

Fine filter.

The fine filter has a catalog number 25450-P4V-013 (same too Civic 1.5T)

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. 8KAAAgKPk-A-960

№ 5 — 91305-PN4-003
№ 4 — 91303-5T0-003
№ 3 — 91302-5T0-003

Honda Civic 10th gen Models (M-CVT, LL-CVT) & modifications (JDJC, MCKA) CVT transmissions on Civic X (2.0, 1.5T) and examples of oil changes with filters. CeAAAgKPk-A-960

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Purchased the filters and new o-rings. Going to do this next week. I need to take the pan off so might as well change the filters while I’m at it.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Been a while because I’ve been busy with work but I finally removed the oil pan and replaced the strainer. It was very very simple and fast to do. I think I’m going to change it every few transmission fluid changes. The strainer didn’t appear to be heavily dirty which is a good thing. I think it’s always good practice to replace filters when possible.

• Love
Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been a while because I’ve been busy with work but I finally removed the oil pan and replaced the strainer. It was very very simple and fast to do. I think I’m going to change it every few transmission fluid changes. The strainer didn’t appear to be heavily dirty which is a good thing. I think it’s always good practice to replace filters when possible.
Good to know! Thanks!

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Good to know! Thanks!
No problem. The bolts on the oil pan are very easy to break loose. It takes little force. Once it’s removed the strainer has two bolts that are also very easy to loosen up. You need to grab the strainer and pull down to pop it out. When reassembling everything the bolts on the strainer and oil pan only need to be hand tightened. Too much force will break the bolt.
I also avoided touching anything in the CVT but the strainer. I was worried of getting any dirt or debris inside.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
**BUMP**

I need to keep this post out in front of me. Car is in shop for other work but will be having my CVT fluid changed as well as the filters, etc if possible.

Rickfk8bx

First Name
Ricki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
How many quarts the transmission of a 2019 honda civic hatchback sport take it 1.5 turbo

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
How many quarts the transmission of a 2019 honda civic hatchback sport take it 1.5 turbo
To do a drain and refill it’s about 4 quarts.
If you lookup some videos on it, there is a bolt above the drain plug that you can remove and once the CVT is full, fluid will slowly start to drip out of it. Once it drips, close it up and you’re good to go.