Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 3A45456B-6EA6-4CC7-8F2D-F9CE5BED079B

A retired machinist buddy of mine is a track enthusiast and has been trying to get me out there ever since he heard I had a Type R.

Will be experiencing the track for the first time this Sunday 2/16/20. The track is Big Willow, about a 115 mile drive north for me.

Beginner Time Trial with transponder. My buddy says it’s a go fast track with a lot of straights that favors cars with power, so my car will be at a disadvantage, especially untuned. That’s ok, I am just cutting my teeth and this will give me a baseline for my “driver’s” mod, heh.

My only previous experience is K1 Speed go-cart racing with my boys and of course this:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 5C714AF3-A025-4B84-8DA6-5DB56B785288

Beating the Ridge Racer Black Lambo aka “the Devil Car” wayyyy back in the day on the original PlayStation!! Hell yeah! Anyone else? That was on of my main missions in life, when I was a carefree single gamer with no responsibilities. Of course I was also driving a 1987 Toyota Tercel at that time, haha.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, have fun on the track!

Didn’t realize Willow Springs is only a couple hours away. Always thought all the good tracks are in NorCal. Let us know how the track feels for beginners. Enjoy!

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks Alan, will try to provide advance notice so maybe you, Boosted180sx or some other SoCal peeps can join us next time. This was definitely spur of the moment, however the canyon run you took us on last week inspired me to give this a try ;)

Boosted180sx says this is a fast track where cars can reach 150 mph and hit the turns at 100+ so sounds like it will be a rush, even though I’ll probably lag behind the others.

I’ll be requesting an instructor to ride shotgun since it will be my first time.

That clicking sound on turn in at the end of our drive last week went away, but I’m going to raise the car and do a thorough inspection to make sure all is good for Sunday.

Wow, have fun on the track!

Didn’t realize Willow Springs is only a couple hours away. Always thought all the good tracks are in NorCal. Let us know how the track feels for beginners. Enjoy!

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Have a great time this weekend on track Tom!! :headbang:
907694AB-0CFF-4598-BB00-41A7D4A59BE5.jpeg
Received this free owner’s manual today, woohoo!

One would think these would come standard in the glove compartment, but they do not.

To get one, you’re supposed to order online within the first (6) months of ownership. That’s fine and dandy, but my dealership didn’t lmk, so I was well past the deadline when learned of this :(

Fortunately, someone posted on FB that the good folks at Honda will send a manual free, even if you are out of date.

Gave it a shot and hey, it’s true. I’m at about (15) months :)

Here is the link to order if anyone is interested:

https://owners.honda.com/vehicle-in...uCz8L8OgswjrVwTODcE0RXUTz-zgkAOFKqFHstA_BfCNA
And thanks alot for this information! It will be great to get one of those, especially for us "older?" people who are used to a manual in print!!:):lol:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Thanks Alan, will try to provide advance notice so maybe you, Boosted180sx or some other SoCal peeps can join us next time. This was definitely spur of the moment, however the canyon run you took us on last week inspired me to give this a try ;)

Boosted180sx says this is a fast track where cars hit 150 mph and hit the turns at 100+ so sounds like it will be a rush, even though I’ll probably lag behind the others.

I’ll be requesting an instructor to ride shotgun since it will be my first time.

That clicking sound on turn in at the end of our drive last week went away, but I’m going to raise the car and do a thorough inspection to make sure all is good for Sunday.
willow springs, chuckwalla, buttonwillow are all only a couple hours away!

haha, i might have exaggerated just a little bit :p
just have fun and enjoy!

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1DB4633E-AC99-469E-9500-B10F249D7ACA

Washed the car last night. Here is the current state of the car cosmetically. Stock height on 18’s. Looking forward to seeing how the Bridgestone Potenza RE71R’s perform on the track at 100+ mph. Again, thank you hpbyhermann for the killer tire recommendation brother!

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 7C9609FD-B89B-405A-948B-49CAD6E31609

Front PFF and ceramic coat is holding up pretty well. Haven’t done it yet, but will probably spray paint that small white plastic piece showing through the cut vent on the right where the HKS oil cooler is sitting behind. Seeing that little white imperfection is really bothering me, lol.

I’ve ordered a couple aero pieces that will alter the look of the car, which is a risk, because Honda really nailed the Type R’s styling. Looks so great, as-is. Especially from the front and the sides ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 5C0913B6-D072-4C8B-BF14-769B038B2CF9

Put a deposit a few weeks ago for the J’s racing vented hood Carbon Fiber/FRP, Aluminum mesh and rain guard. Was a tough decision between that and the Varis. Was happy to see this photo posted showing how the J’s hood looks painted all white on a Honda HPD Type R TC. Will likely leave the CF exposed on the side vents and paint the rest. ETA (4) months or so, sigh.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 60FB5DD8-8EA7-4C4B-B6D2-343E9B71C1BA

The HPD Type R uses the APR GT wing, but I opted for the Voltex 2v pictured here. The folks at Evasive say it is designed more for street use as opposed to some other larger wings that generate a ton of downforce and require a front splitter to balance out. ETA is April. Knock on wood.

Haven’t pulled the trigger on a replacement front grill, but will likely go with J’s Racing to pair with the hood, even though I’ve read it has some issues with fitment. Like the aggressive look and have seen it posted here and there on the forum, most notably nojeebs, Ipeefreely, metal_driver and soon frtorres87 :) Really appreciate their photos because it helps to see how these pieces look installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 6173F83C-608E-4630-AA71-F889C13F5F67

Thanks Chris! Hopefully I don’t suck or worse crash and this becomes a rebuild thread, heh. Stopped by Evasive Motorsports today at lunch and picked up this racing helmet, so I’m good to go. They had a special where they threw in this extra visor along with the original clear.

Does this qualify as the first selfie on a online car journal? Who does that? Anyways, if it doesn’t work out on the track, at the very least I’ll have something to wear next Halloween when I take my sons trick or treating, Lol ;)

Good luck on Sunday Tom!! Represent all of us CTR owners out there!!!

FK8_Track_Pig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Prelude, 2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1995 Nissan Micra
Country flag
Looking forward to hearing about your first track day. Did you ever remove the orange piece from the oem oil dip stick? I pulled mine out yesterday and was getting ready to take the orange piece off but realized theres no holes in the metal part and the oil just sits in the orange plastic gaps to show the level.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
1DB4633E-AC99-469E-9500-B10F249D7ACA.jpeg

Washed the car last night. Here is the current state of the car cosmetically. Stock height on 18’s. Looking forward to seeing how the Bridgestone Potenza RE71R’s perform on the track at 100+ mph. Again, thank you hpbyhermann for the killer tire recommendation brother!

7C9609FD-B89B-405A-948B-49CAD6E31609.jpeg

Front PFF and ceramic coat is holding up pretty well. Haven’t done it yet, but will probably spray paint that small white plastic piece showing through the cut vent on the right where the HKS oil cooler is sitting behind. Seeing that little white imperfection is really bothering me, lol.

I’ve ordered a couple aero pieces that will alter the look of the car, which is a risk, because Honda really nailed the Type R’s styling. Looks so great, as-is. Especially from the front and the sides ;)

5C0913B6-D072-4C8B-BF14-769B038B2CF9.png

Put a deposit down a few weeks ago for the J’s racing vented hood Carbon Fiber/FRP, Aluminum mesh and rain guard. Was a tough decision between that and the Varis. Was happy to see this photo posted yesterday to show how the J’s hood looks painted all white on a Honda HPD Type R TC. Will likely leave the CF exposed on the side vents and paint the rest. ETA (4) months or so, sigh.

60FB5DD8-8EA7-4C4B-B6D2-343E9B71C1BA.png

The HPD Type R uses the APR GT wing, but I opted for the Voltex 2v pictured here. The folks at Evasive say it is designed more for street use as opposed to some other larger wings that generate a ton of downforce and require a front splitter to balance out. ETA is April. Knock on wood.

Haven’t pulled the trigger on a replacement front grill, but will likely go with J’s Racing to pair with the hood, even though I’ve read it has some issues with fitment. Like the aggressive look and have seen it posted here and there on the forum, most notably nojeebs, Ipeefreely, metal_driver and soon frtorres87 :) Really appreciate their photos because it helps to see how these pieces look installed.
I appreciate your kind words. I think it’s really cool that you live close enough to Evasive that you can just stop by and buy products. They should be shipping something out to me at the end of this month. :dance:

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you FK8_Track_Pig... Shoot, sorry I didn’t notice there aren’t (2) holes in the metal portion of the OEM dipstick. It might be possible to mark the hole locations then use a center punch and small drill bit to make them? Maybe I’ll make an attempt and report back.

The fitment of the OEM dipstick is superior to that of the Superstik. It engages further and snaps in. Swapped back to it for the track due to this reason. Will likely use the Superstik to verify level when performing oil changes, sigh.

**update** The Superstik failed at the track 5/22/20. Got oil blow by and it also disengaged once. Can’t believe how badly they dropped the ball on this. Have since gone back to the OEM dipstick. DO NOT BUY UNLESS ONLY AS AN OIL MEASURING TOOL**

Looking forward to hearing about your first track day. Did you ever remove the orange piece from the oem oil dip stick? I pulled mine out yesterday and was getting ready to take the orange piece off but realized theres no holes in the metal part and the oil just sits in the orange plastic gaps to show the level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 2C5742BC-FF38-4ECD-8153-6DA2E9DAD2C9
Didn’t realize the amount of preparation needed to be ready for a track day. Spent the night before cleaning all my junk out of the car, replaced a damaged SST brakeline that rubbed when downsized from the stock 20’s to 18’s and swapped brake fluid to Motul RBF660. Rotated the tires and torqued to 94 ft/lbs. Also wanted to thoroughly inspect the car to make sure it was ready for the harsh track environment. Finished around 11pm.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A79A4A62-63B1-450B-93B6-5BC3886CC055

Was a good idea to do so. Found the brake line on the front passenger side under excessive tension on turn in. Not good. It was positioned like this to prevent the line from contacting the inner barrel of the 18 wheel, but was done sloppily. Adjusted it to give it some slack, turned the steering in all directions and verified with the wheel on, the brake line cleared.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A0D4C960-0851-4576-AF1E-8004801844F2

Intended to replace both front brake lines, but in my haste, stripped the first, so replaced just the driver’s side, which had the worst damage.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 06CC08A8-61AC-413B-B4E8-1EAD340EC1D1

Driver’s side SST brake line installed and adjusted at the same maximum turn in as previous photo. Passenger side adjusted the same.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0DA4ACE2-BE3A-4FF9-B012-367D22AC065E

Verified the red SST line clears the inner barrel of the 18” wheel in all turn directions for both wheels. It’s a little scary knowing the lines are about 1/2” away from rubbing. Prefer more gap, but that would result in increased strain on the line at turn in.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R CD670419-AF1A-4412-8E71-9F4F4617C504
Gotta love Amazon Prime. Same day delivery for Motul RBF660 brake fluid. Couldn’t find it locally after realizing it might be a good idea to switch to DOT4 Saturday morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1C39E790-172E-48FE-82E6-19BF3E3C4699
Left the house at 530am. No LA traffic at all from Orange County to Rosamond, where Willow Springs Raceway is located. Google maps initially said it was 80 miles. Turned out to be 113. Stopped for gas an arrived with a full tank.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R ECE1F550-62D0-46F9-9B2C-56E3B05ACA79
My first glimpse of Big Willow..

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 51B614A1-AB98-4F8D-A758-138D8D690CCB

The event cost $170 + $20 for a transponder. There was also a $15 entrance fee.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1ADCED83-58D2-4F4D-B591-110A7DBD9FD6
Parked in a stall next to my track buddy and unloaded my gear. Full size spare, tools, chair, etc.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 733B02F1-94E5-4A2C-AF17-A8D80422C452
View from the registration area. Picked up the transponder, submitted the vehicle inspection checklist and got ready for the mandatory pre-race meeting

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The track was brand spanking new to me, so felt like I was a kid again. Most of the crowd seemed to be my age (50) or older, so that also helped me find the fountain of youth, heh. Everyone I met at the event was super interesting, super cool and helpful. Can’t stress that enough. :)

The pre-race meeting covered the rules of the track. They explained what all of the different colored flags meant and what to do if we saw them. There were about (10) flag types in all. They covered the locations of the flag stations on the course. Where passing is allowed on the track (basically the long straightaways only) and to use hand signals to point faster people by when they are ready to pass and how to safely get on the track (stay to the left). They also explained to find one of the event directors if there was beef with another person, not to confront them directly.

There were (4) groups: Race, Advanced, intermediate/novice (mine) and one other.

Each group had (4) sessions staggered about (2) hours apart with a lunch in between. Each session consisted of (8) laps.

The intermediate/novice group I was in ran at:
830a
1030a
130p
330p

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0A77F595-FD0A-475D-8B62-FAC27731C589

This event was organized by the Alfa Romeo Club of Southern California. Was very impressed how smoothly it was run and the people running it.

Competition Director Don Wagner patiently answered questions leading up to the event.

Fellow organizer (and fellow Type R owner) Edmond Lo, took time to explain the nuances and handling characteristics of a FWD car on the track, (which I had no clue going in) and can say with confidence his words kept me from losing control and going off track.

Being a newbie, I requested driving instruction and AROSC Driving instructor and former race car driver Paul Blankenship drove with me riding shotgun for the first session, to introduce the track, how to navigate it and how to interact with other drivers. Paul then rode as passenger for about (4) laps during my 2nd session and constructively critiqued and encouraged my driving. He then set me loose. Cannot emphasize enough (as others on CivicX have previously stated) how important it was to have instruction. Will request it for any new course I’m fortunate to attend. Also plan on attending AROSC’s next high performance driving education course September 2020 :)

Found Paul again later in the day and asked how much I owed for the driving instruction. He answered, “nothing, the smile on your face is payment enough.”

How totally cool is that? ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 20AC4A4E-AC45-4A19-B3AF-296F4C6D87EF

At my buddy’s suggestion dropped tire pressure down to 38 psi to maintain grip when the tires warmed up and the pressure increased. Rechecked it after each session.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 40DEAC15-4C65-4406-8301-8F1E8E97885E
As mentioned we put our gear in our parking stalls. Wish all parking spaces were this big. Both front windows had to be kept down and painted a number for the event. Opened the hood between sessions to help keep it cool. Was told never engage the E-brake or it will get ruined due to the hot brakes. Always park it in gear. Did a quick trip to the gas station after the 2nd session.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 701ABBC4-6D0C-43FE-920E-7A5BC712F5E0
Here is my buddy’s gear just by himself *whew*
The white mustang probably was the best sounding car at the event.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0CDCD3F1-F2A1-49AB-B836-0641FE941E47
There also were covered spots for hotter days, but the day was so nice. Highs maybe in the low 70’s. Lotus pictured here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1B70444D-D0FE-444E-948D-15461FBCA926
Lots of Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs and Miatas

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 38E53592-F365-456F-AE42-E808C9E8A277

This guy driving this was probably the fastest out there. He was in the Race group and won the points competition. Some guys covered the front of their cars with blue painter’s tape to protect against rock chips. I did my headlights also.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 28DA46F1-248F-457F-92EB-7AD83A7EB992
A nice collection of cars including a newer Acura NSX. So badass.

Last edited: