Never thought I would own a Civic... now I do!

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To set the stage, back in 2012 I had the choice between a brand new 2012 Civic EX-L or a used 2002 Acura TL Type-S. The TL had everything I was looking for (with the exception of old/bad paint) such as V6, dual exhausts, premium audio, premium interior. Meanwhile the Civic was all plastic inside, it felt like a toy and going to college I felt that the TL (at $7k) was a much better option than the Civic (at $23k). And that also set a sour feeling for the Civic line, I learned how to drive in a Civic and I been in Civics before and I did not like how they looked or felt.

Fast forward to last month, my ideal TL wasn't ideal anymore. I had been using it as my daily driver to work, with 170k miles it required a lot more maintenance as electrical things started to fail. The body work was not in good shape due to some truck side-scraped it. While the TL was so much fun to drive and I wish a fairy would make it back to new again, I needed a safe reliable car to drive into work.

The Civic was honestly the last pick on my list. I told myself if I didn't like anything else I would settle for it. However when I saw the fuel efficiency of the Civic on the website it sparked my interest. I didn't like the lack of features of the 2020 Corolla. The Mazda3 was also a strong pick for me as from what I read it had a much nicer interior than the Civic and AWD. Things really started to look different when I saw the hatchback Sport Touring model on the web. I think it looked relatively nice for the price and with the great fuel economy, features and interior space it seemed like a really good choice.

So last month I walk into my local Honda showroom, the same one I declined the 2012 Civic from years ago. My sales rep showed me to the only 2019 Sport Touring in their lot. It was a Sonic Grey. The color instantly hook me. I thought the color looked nice on the web but it doesn't do it justice. In person the color with its pearl looked so nice. It was dark in the lot and it looked gray. Later in the sun it looked blue which I really dig. So then the sales rep started showed me inside, he told me the hatchback was made in England which I did not know. He told me this car was on the lot for only 4 days and it was the only one they had. I just felt something click, it was the same feeling I had with my TL when I first saw it. He told me to take a plastic off all of the interior bits and I realized that Civics have come a long way from 2012 and even the 9th gen. I knew exactly that this was the car for me.

A month later, I am in love with the car. The color is amazing, the rims look really nice, the interior has a lot of space and the features are great for the price. I get such great fuel economy and honestly I couldn't be happier with the exception of the bass in the "Premium 540 watt" system needs to be improved but that can be fixed later. Currently I drive it so much and it is so much fun to drive. It is nice to drive a car that you don't have to be afraid will break down. I currently have about 1600 miles (8 when I rolled it off the lot) and it has only been a month.

I don't plan on modifying it with the exception of the following:
1. Upgrade sub with something nicer (no amp yet)
2. Add all of the interior lighting upgrades.

Hopefully I can do some write-ups and DIY guides for those items and keep everyone updated on my experience. Out of curiosity I am going to be taking the Civic to the dealer for all of its servicing rather than doing it on my own like I did with my other cars. I hope to keep the car as pristine as I can even though I plan on putting a lot of miles on it. But I can say I am glad to be apart of the CivicX family.
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great choice! Welcome to the hatch club! I too purchased mine recently. While I certainly wish I had all the amenities as your Touring and I absolutely love my Sport Hatch. I just noticed this post is a month old. How are things going now?

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Coming from the TL - How do you like the CVT in the Civic vs the traditional auto in the TL? (I'm assuming the TL was auto, it could be the manual)

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great choice! Welcome to the hatch club! I too purchased mine recently. While I certainly wish I had all the amenities as your Touring and I absolutely love my Sport Hatch. I just noticed this post is a month old. How are things going now?
Everything is going pretty good, smooth ride, very comfortable cabin and excellent gas milage. Almost at 4k now, will post a bigger update when I get my first oil change.

My only fear/worry is this squeak that you can only hear from the cabin on the passenger side when the AC is on. Hopefully it's not related to any of the AC problems others on the forum discuss. Crossing my fingers! When I take it into service I am going to ask about it.

Also be careful of the front splitter when going out of driveways, it is really low and I scape it a little when leaving a random parking lot.

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from the TL - How do you like the CVT in the Civic vs the traditional auto in the TL? (I'm assuming the TL was auto, it could be the manual)
I did come from the TL's auto and the TL's auto is a whole other story if you are familiar with its recall history (I had to have mine replaced which was a fortune).

This is my first CVT and I think overall it is good from a full stop, smooth as you accelerate and the paddles work nice when you need that downshift on the highway to pass. However I am not sure if this is related to the Turbo or the CVT but when you come to a stop and/or accelerate again there is this shaking of the car. Not sure how to explain it but I think manual cars have something similar to that. Other than that I think its pretty good and I haven't heard of any reliability issues with Honda CVTs (compared to their autos) so I will take it!

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Everything is going pretty good, smooth ride, very comfortable cabin and excellent gas milage. Almost at 4k now, will post a bigger update when I get my first oil change.

My only fear/worry is this squeak that you can only hear from the cabin on the passenger side when the AC is on. Hopefully it's not related to any of the AC problems others on the forum discuss. Crossing my fingers! When I take it into service I am going to ask about it.

Also be careful of the front splitter when going out of driveways, it is really low and I scape it a little when leaving a random parking lot.
My AC makes some weird sound as well. Not so much a squeak, but some kind of gurgling noise. I'm gathering the AC's on these cars suck.

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My AC makes some weird sound as well. Not so much a squeak, but some kind of gurgling noise. I'm gathering the AC's on these cars suck.
Bad ACs and weak paint. I am kind of regretting cancelling my extended warranty....

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Two days ago I had my first service done (A1) which was quite an experience.

The maintenance minder came on exactly at 4500 miles (15% oil life left) which was interesting. I thought it would come on at random times because of other forums stating that the value is calculated based on driving habits.

I scheduled my appointment for 4 things:
  1. A1 Service
  2. Squeaking noise in the cabin when AC is on at lowest fan setting
  3. Install the 3 piece lighting kit (posted about that here)
  4. Install splash guards
However since they didn't have a loaner car I didn't have the time to do the lighting kit or splash guard. So I agreed to have just the service and inspection of the AC.

4 hours later, yes a whole 4 hours for an oil change and them to check the AC (which they deemed was normal but I don't believe them) my service was done. I know on many of the forums the recommended oil by Honda for the Civic is Honda's Full Synthetic. However I have 1 year of complimentary oil changes from the dealership that I bought my car from. On the invoice it stated the oil as Mobil which was weird. I hope they didn't put lower quality oil because. I am on the complimentary maintenance plan....

Anyway that was my was my first time at a dealership for something other than a recall. 4 hours was unacceptable (coming from changing my own oil in the my other cars), especially as I was one of the first people there with an appointment at 7am. Hopefully the next few times isn't so bad.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Two days ago I had my first service done (A1) which was quite an experience.

The maintenance minder came on exactly at 4500 miles (15% oil life left) which was interesting. I thought it would come on at random times because of other forums stating that the value is calculated based on driving habits.

I scheduled my appointment for 4 things:
  1. A1 Service
  2. Squeaking noise in the cabin when AC is on at lowest fan setting
  3. Install the 3 piece lighting kit (posted about that here)
  4. Install splash guards
However since they didn't have a loaner car I didn't have the time to do the lighting kit or splash guard. So I agreed to have just the service and inspection of the AC.

4 hours later, yes a whole 4 hours for an oil change and them to check the AC (which they deemed was normal but I don't believe them) my service was done. I know on many of the forums the recommended oil by Honda for the Civic is Honda's Full Synthetic. However I have 1 year of complimentary oil changes from the dealership that I bought my car from. On the invoice it stated the oil as Mobil which was weird. I hope they didn't put lower quality oil because. I am on the complimentary maintenance plan....

Anyway that was my was my first time at a dealership for something other than a recall. 4 hours was unacceptable (coming from changing my own oil in the my other cars), especially as I was one of the first people there with an appointment at 7am. Hopefully the next few times isn't so bad.
Yeah, 4 hrs is ridiculous. I had the A1 service done recently, too, and it was all of 45 minutes for the oil change and tire rotation. But then I'm left a little skeptical when it happens that fast, too. haha

As for the type of oil, Mobil 1 is a quality synthetic. You car should be fine with that.

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, 4 hrs is ridiculous. I had the A1 service done recently, too, and it was all of 45 minutes for the oil change and tire rotation. But then I'm left a little skeptical when it happens that fast, too. haha

As for the type of oil, Mobil 1 is a quality synthetic. You car should be fine with that.
Yeah I am used to letting my oil drain for like half an hour to get it all out (does it really make a difference who knows). They probably drain and fill as fast as they could.

The invoice doesn't really state what kind of Mobil 1 they used. Next time I should ask, hopefully its synthetic. Looking at the oil filter, it looks like they are using the good quality Japanese filter (Mahle Tennex made) instead of the Fram made one.

Honda Civic 10th gen Never thought I would own a Civic... now I do! IMG_4246

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’ve seen when they changed the oil on my car they rotate the tires the oil is draining. Remember it’s a lot easier to do a oil change when the cars on a lift rather the jacks and ramps and creepers also bad backs

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
To set the stage, back in 2012 I had the choice between a brand new 2012 Civic EX-L or a used 2002 Acura TL Type-S. The TL had everything I was looking for (with the exception of old/bad paint) such as V6, dual exhausts, premium audio, premium interior. Meanwhile the Civic was all plastic inside, it felt like a toy and going to college I felt that the TL (at $7k) was a much better option than the Civic (at $23k). And that also set a sour feeling for the Civic line, I learned how to drive in a Civic and I been in Civics before and I did not like how they looked or felt.

Fast forward to last month, my ideal TL wasn't ideal anymore. I had been using it as my daily driver to work, with 170k miles it required a lot more maintenance as electrical things started to fail. The body work was not in good shape due to some truck side-scraped it. While the TL was so much fun to drive and I wish a fairy would make it back to new again, I needed a safe reliable car to drive into work.

The Civic was honestly the last pick on my list. I told myself if I didn't like anything else I would settle for it. However when I saw the fuel efficiency of the Civic on the website it sparked my interest. I didn't like the lack of features of the 2020 Corolla. The Mazda3 was also a strong pick for me as from what I read it had a much nicer interior than the Civic and AWD. Things really started to look different when I saw the hatchback Sport Touring model on the web. I think it looked relatively nice for the price and with the great fuel economy, features and interior space it seemed like a really good choice.

So last month I walk into my local Honda showroom, the same one I declined the 2012 Civic from years ago. My sales rep showed me to the only 2019 Sport Touring in their lot. It was a Sonic Grey. The color instantly hook me. I thought the color looked nice on the web but it doesn't do it justice. In person the color with its pearl looked so nice. It was dark in the lot and it looked gray. Later in the sun it looked blue which I really dig. So then the sales rep started showed me inside, he told me the hatchback was made in England which I did not know. He told me this car was on the lot for only 4 days and it was the only one they had. I just felt something click, it was the same feeling I had with my TL when I first saw it. He told me to take a plastic off all of the interior bits and I realized that Civics have come a long way from 2012 and even the 9th gen. I knew exactly that this was the car for me.

A month later, I am in love with the car. The color is amazing, the rims look really nice, the interior has a lot of space and the features are great for the price. I get such great fuel economy and honestly I couldn't be happier with the exception of the bass in the "Premium 540 watt" system needs to be improved but that can be fixed later. Currently I drive it so much and it is so much fun to drive. It is nice to drive a car that you don't have to be afraid will break down. I currently have about 1600 miles (8 when I rolled it off the lot) and it has only been a month.

I don't plan on modifying it with the exception of the following:
1. Upgrade sub with something nicer (no amp yet)
2. Add all of the interior lighting upgrades.

Hopefully I can do some write-ups and DIY guides for those items and keep everyone updated on my experience. Out of curiosity I am going to be taking the Civic to the dealer for all of its servicing rather than doing it on my own like I did with my other cars. I hope to keep the car as pristine as I can even though I plan on putting a lot of miles on it. But I can say I am glad to be apart of the CivicX family.
Would love to see the DIY guides when done. I love my 2018 ... bought in Jan ‘18 and will turn 33,000 miles this week ❗Averages 47.6 mpg over past 7,000 miles... not a hard driver, Econ all the time and about 70-75 percent cruise control...55-65 mph

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would love to see the DIY guides when done. I love my 2018 ... bought in Jan ‘18 and will turn 33,000 miles this week ❗Averages 47.6 mpg over past 7,000 miles... not a hard driver, Econ all the time and about 70-75 percent cruise control...55-65 mph
I did make a DIY for upgrading the stock sub in the Sport Touring model here. Ended up getting the lighting kit installed at the dealer because it required some drilling into the plastics and I did not want to mess that up (I did see DIY videos on YouTube).

That is pretty nice, I see the MPG go that high on the highway. Cruise control really helps with the MPGs. Hope you didn't have any AC troubles. That is the only thing I am worried about.

Whiting087

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 2.0l 4D LX
Country flag
I did make a DIY for upgrading the stock sub in the Sport Touring model here. Ended up getting the lighting kit installed at the dealer because it required some drilling into the plastics and I did not want to mess that up (I did see DIY videos on YouTube).

That is pretty nice, I see the MPG go that high on the highway. Cruise control really helps with the MPGs. Hope you didn't have any AC troubles. That is the only thing I am worried about.
No problems with anything❗

Honda Civic 10th gen Never thought I would own a Civic... now I do! CCE30BF5-9D52-4A00-AAF9-1E5975F0CAB1

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problems with anything❗

CCE30BF5-9D52-4A00-AAF9-1E5975F0CAB1.jpeg
Sounds pretty nice with that MPG. Also didn't know that the sedans had a analog tach. We have a full digital one.
Sponsored