Noize Type R simple project

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
I’ve been away from Honda for almost 17 years. I had three different Preludes back in the day, a 4th gen Si, 4th gen VTEC, and 5th gen (all 5th gens were H22 powered). All manual.

The turbo + AWD craze sucked me in, and I’ve spent most all the time in between then and now owning Evos. Most recently, I had a mk7 Golf R DSG, which I traded for the Type R.

I’m not going to label this as a build thread, per se, it’s more just a little project.

While a couple of the Evos were over 500hp, that’s not the plan with the Type R. I’m not in love with the marriage of FWD and torque, and this car struggles for traction in second gear completely stock.

The Type R mission hasn't changed much since the DC2 ITR. The FK8 is built to obsessive levels of engineering, and has been refined to near perfection for a track. In this case, optimized for FWD and around 300HP.

Further reasons to avoid tuning to me are because the fuel system doesn't have a lot of head room, and the hot side on the stock turbo is tiny. Lots of tuned CTRs have gains of like 100wtq and 50whp. Worse, they're shifting the powerband too far to the left, and moving peak power to around 5500rpm. Not really the recipe I want for FWD at all.

So the reason I’m saying it's not a full project is that I'm going to add a little seasoning instead, but leaving most of the package designed by Honda well enough alone.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First mods planned are 18" wheels and tires. I know fully well the talk about scrub radius on here, and I have no intention of letting my stock wheels and tires go.

But I need something for daily use that will give me the trifecta of more sidewall protection, lighter wheel/tire combo, and less stick to help stop picking up rocks and nails like I have tape on my tires (the stock Conti’s).

My Evo had Rays 57Xtreme wheels. I'm going with the Euro 5x120 version of them from Rays: 57Motorsport G07EX. They are high quality, and super concave.
These are 18x9.5 +35. Pretty aggressive, and since I've decided to not lower the car, we'll just have to see how this goes. I hope to have it all installed by the end of week if everything arrives in time. I got these wheels from Andy, who is a vendor here on CivicX as Team3D. He also does business on Instagram as fkxracing. A super honest and knowledgable guy that been doing this for over 20 years, Andy offers great prices, and is a Honda Civic fanatic. A+ transaction so far.
Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 15061184-CC05-44A1-B7E4-14E8C9ACB859

Tires I'm running are the new Bridgestone Potenza S007A in 255/40/18. Tire Rack tested these and said they slot a bit below the super-sticky and loud RE-71R. These new tires are apparently the successors to the RE-11. Still extreme performance tier, but much more livable on a daily basis. Team3D recommended this size due to 26" height and noted that the 265/35/18s people run are too short- 10mm overall shorter than 255/40- causing the wheel gap to be more noticeable. When compared to stock, the 255s are 3mm taller.
Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 1858486E-A9C0-4706-A78B-9BE487C242B5

Here are some shots of the wheel and tire calculator comparing the stock setup to my new setup.
Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project B6B7E2CB-C043-4308-BA5A-9490D80E4B13

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 464F14E3-5B76-4741-A49B-0E56239919DA

I had to get special lugs to make everything fit, and will be doing the same for center caps. I’ll post up some pics when I get them on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a set of Rally Armor flaps on my Evo. Full disclosure, I don't love the way they look, and probably even less-so on the CTR, but at least they will prevent rock and pebble spray from destroying my paint. I haven't ordered them yet, but they're on the very soon to-do list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The next project is to address the audio in this car. I'm not looking to make it a lot heavier, just make it sound at least as good as the Fender audio system in our GTI, which frankly blows the stock Honda system into the weeds.

While the touch screen in the CTR looks nice, the overall amplifier is lacking in power, while the sub itself, and sub enclosure totally suck. I also want to replace the door components with something higher quality. I have an old Alpine 5 channel amp and 10" JL sub from my Evo that I might try to adapt to the stock system. I've seen a few builds online and probably start with an AudioControl line output converter.

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

AREA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
looking good! looking forward to this build.

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Front RA flaps on. Easy install. I can already tell they will help protect the sides of the car.

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pulled the Honda center caps and put them back on the stockers. Got some cheap eBay ones from China for less than $14 shipped. Windoweld and electrical tape around the outer layer of the inside ring mount to push it a couple mm. Score.

Audio stuff on order. Can’t deal with this stock stereo system much longer!

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 884BC1B2-3627-4CAE-8C32-E80028B7B3F8

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 6CF8AF77-C101-4A22-BA07-2AB5C56272E0

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hope to pick up the speakers and spacer ring tomorrow and get rolling on this!

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 0105BA3F-D356-4F4F-9906-FC50CFDCAD29

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Disclaimer: I can neither photograph nor edit well.
Having said such, here's a pic of my new wheels.

Rays G07EX have been sold. I originally wanted to replace them with OZ Ultraleggera like my Golf R had, but Tire Rack didn't get enough in to have an entire set and won't until the end of spring at the earliest.

My main aim in replacing the G07EX was to have a little more clearance for my S007A 255/40/18 tires, as they run a little wide. I was getting minor tire to fender contact on the worst highway expansion joints on comfort mode. Not enough to mark up the tires at all, but certainly enough to annoy me. Rather than buy a slightly narrower tire like a PSS and lose money selling tires, I decided to sell the wheels.

I ended up with TE37 Saga 18x9.5 +45 in Gloss Black. The extra 10mm inset is exactly what my fenders wanted. Here are some pics. Stock height and currently intend on staying that way.

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project IMG_7684

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project IMG_7690

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project IMG_7697