Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Alright so I caved in with going semi-mental on building this daily into...errrmm.....something I still daily but is questionable to be daily-ing hahaha. Anyhow little bit of background on me as I want to make this more of a "Justin did some stupid shit to cars so it must live on the forums" kind of thread.

I've been modifying cars since 2001 with my first build being a 96 Civic dx coupe. Went full ham on it with a built b126a2 w/ vortech sc and feel's rep widebody and Advan RGs in gold.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build HxDLA6ll

Then I went onto a more autocross focused 2005 Impreza Sti in 2004. Kept that car mostly stock but did everything Cusco and did a few scca events and a lot of spirited driving back in Hawaii.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build 7yBhQfol

In 2012 I had already been living in SoCal for 6 years and was career focused with my photography degree so the Sti was just a commuter car in Cali. Ended up selling it as is and picked up a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth....everything snowballed very quickly and I ended up doing the whole show and go with it for about 4 years.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build COBAzEFl

2016 I picked up a 2004 BMW M3 my fiance and I just moved into our new home and I was honestly most excited to be able to work on my car whenever. Before this we were in an apartment so I never had the chance to really tear apart the Abarth with my own hands as much as I would have liked to. The M3 is still with me and is just sitting pretty in the garage. It was a bucket list car for sure and I still have more plans for it as soon as I have the time and money to go even further.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build wbkaw72l

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build 6GFPD5wl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build OYrEIPDl

2017 in Nov I picked up a Civic Type R in CW...as that's the only color they're allowed to be in. jk jk. Reason was to honestly get something with 4 doors again....and to keep it kinda stock. But yeah that didn't really last long and now I'm sitting here typing out a thread as the Type R has gotten to the point where I want to document what changes it'll undergo.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build jGu3swGl

For those that stuck to the end of this chest puffing filled history on my poor financial choices I thank you and hope you enjoy seeing my current build progress.

OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Quick post on everything done from 2017 till now....

Threw on 18x9.5 +45 Enkei Nt03RR wrapped in 255/40/18 Falken Azenis RT615k+. Also did Eibach pro kit lowering springs.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build oNDGwgYl

In January I went to my first track event in almost 10 years...haha...I was extremely impressed at how well the car handled at Chuckwalla. After that 2 day event with Team Topak Racing I was hooked and back on that go fast life.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build KYtqkS6l

A mod I knew I had to get after the track event was an exhaust as I couldn't hear the car at all with my helmet on. I ended up contacting Rampage Fabrications in Washington and ordering their full titanium 3" system w/ custom tips. Gabe was super helpful in making sure everything went smooth with the install as it was the first system he built after the prototype. Car was pretty loud but I've grown to live with it for the streets. On the track it's perfect and makes all the right noises so I can pay more attention to the road instead of my tach.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build zaWBgy2l

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build P6x5Xxyl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build gL3W9cCl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build BbbqUEPl

Next Topak event was at Streets of Willow and I was super excited as I had watch so many videos and dvds showing this track in use. It was a dream come true for me and I also soon learned just how much tire melting action this track will induce.

Decided I wanted to have a street setup for wheels so I ordered some gun blue SSR Gtx01 in 19x9.5 +38 w/ 255/35/18 Federal RSRR. While I waited for the wheels to arrive I also ordered Fortune Auto 500 coilovers. Everything came together at the same time and I did the install as planned. I knew I would have to cut, bang and roll fenders to get this setup to sit right so I busted out the safety equipment and did the work necessary to make space for this setup and future wheel/tire setups.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build H4OBCxLl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build tEhvQr5l

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build MrYLML9l

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build kulP46Rl

I didn't use the sawzal in that first photo as it wasn't going to be good enough to make proper curves while cutting so I ened up using my dremel with a metal blade. The other thing I didn't document was that I used a 4lb hammer to push out the fender as much as possible without showing through once the plastic flare piece was trimmed and put back on. Everything is pretty straight forward once you take a detailed look at what you need to do if you want to make the actual flare Honda put on the car functional. Everything bolts/sticks right back up and you can't tell anything was modified unless you get on the floor to get a different view.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build XQ2cfMzl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build c8GZ0dVl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build z0rn0BAl

After installing the wheels and dialing in the suspension I kept looking at the car day to day and soon realized....I don't like the ctr on 19s either...20s are goofy and 19s still make it look a bit odd to me...no offense to anyone that feels differently but I just needed to go back to 18s. Plus once I modified the fenders I knew the SSRs weren't close to pushing wheel fitment on the ctr. I've always been super ocd with my fitment on wheels and suspension so the ctr has been butchered to be the next victim to my obsession with that sweet sweet stance baby life.

Enter the 18x10.5 +35 Advan RG D2....

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build btV2FuXl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build ewTinnZl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build 9RoFC3Vl

It was only a week with the SSRs and I hated myself for switching it up so fast because I wasn't satisfied...thankfully they sold very quick and I was able to bite the bullet on the Advans and tires at the same time. I also needed rear camber adjustment so I purchased a set of Hardrace rear camber arms from Nemo's Garage here in SoCal.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build SeNFG2xl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build 0LPrLgWl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build pPNoDVKl

These have the bracket to mount the sensor back onto them.

Onto the current street setup for the car:

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build IQDPOxxl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build D7Sa5Gul

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build YpCZYZMl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build hiP8bEol

These photos were taken before alignment was done....I just set everything to make it clear around most things. I still have more work to do on the fenders as it'll rub slightly on large dips...rubs on plastic under the front and rear that I just need to trim away.

Current alignment is set at F: -3.5 camber, 0 toe. R: -4 camber, 0.4 toe total

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build F4g8fNel

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build kOEsiT5l

Oh, tires are 275/40/18 Falken Fk510. Going to go back to the RK615k+ once I use these up a bit...maybe try 295/30/18.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Prep for Buttonwillow is done. Got new tires for the NT03RRs...Federal RSRR 265/40/18. Wanted 275/35/18 but no stock available directly through Federal. :(

Falken Azenis RT615k+ ...2 are retired.
Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build ZDJ3rYYl

Might as well save the other 2 just in case.
Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build jaCe08Dl

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build r0UCFonl

Looking forward to driving on this course! Every track is a first time for me and that same feeling of getting the nerves settled down by taking it easy at first really makes the experience something I look forward to duplicating over and over with each new track I visit.

OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Made a test set of front side markers with my orange oem ones that I wasn't using. Used a heat gun and split the lens and housing apart then used some left over white wrap material I had from when I did the m3 marlboro livery.

I used moldable plastic pellets to make pillars that'll reach the metal fender and just applied 3m automotive double sided tape to adhere them to the car.

Going to cut the actual fender tomorrow and I ordered championship white paint in a spray can and primer to make sure it'll look clean. Another step closer to making proper room under the stock fenders.

OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Completed cutting of the front fenders behind the side marker area.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build 6fUfTdAh

There's also about an inch removed behind the bumper as well. There's a big plastic bracket which I might shave down later on as I do want to get a bit lower still.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build 0DfSu5gh

You can see the white wrap doing it's job for now while I wait for the CW spray paint and clear to arrive.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build zvHkIWnh

Also got in the Fortune Auto remote dampener controller kit. Waiting on some install help from Fortune Auto on how to run the lines to the rear top hats as they're only accessible through the bottom of the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build VXPV0qLh

R1 Concepts sent me a complete set of rotors and pads for the ctr as well. I've heard good things on the pads they sent me so I'm really excited to try these out on the track!

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build GLN1UO2h

OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Went out to another Team Topak track event. 2 Days at Willow Springs. CW Big Willow Sat and CW Streets of Willow on Sun.

This was my first time at BW and second at SoW. Temps were in the 102-105 over the weekend so best time to pb was during the early sessions before the heat got real. This is my 4th track event for the year and I'm getting more and more addicted to the sport. I mean being back in the seat of going fast has always been a hobby but something about this weekend has made me realize just how much I enjoy risking my life to go faster hahaha even though it's only for personal enjoyment and nothing else.

Here's my pb for Big Willow (1:38) Was in session 2 and definitely knew I got faster later in the day but the heat soak was slowing the car down quite a bit...every 2 hot laps needed a cool down lap as the stock temp gauge was very close to the red.....might need some data logging to manage temps if I plan to go out in the heat like this again...hondata might be next.

Sunday was Streets of Willow and I was super excited to be back as this would be my first track that I get to tackle again and see if I have improved. Also get to see if the tire switch (Federal RSRR 265/40/18 and Fortune Auto coilovers are actually positive mods.

I shaved off almost a second to 1:30.4 with 90+ degree weather compared to 70s and low 80s last time I was here. I got much more to learn but I'm pleased with the time for the general lack of seat time I've gotten over the many years of being a car enthusiast.

Before the weekend my friend Sam helped install the remote dampener control unit for the Fortune Auto coilovers. I'll post up photos later on what was needed to complete the install. It took quite a bit more time than expected but I'm glad it was in before the track days as it was a huge help in tuning the car.

OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Got a pair of optix autolab carbon fiber mirror replacement covers. Quality is really good and the fitment is excellent.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build vTC9tB6

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build t258iIZ

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build GpGeAtr

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build dG8db3D

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build nEx3cf9

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got a pair of optix autolab carbon fiber mirror replacement covers. Quality is really good and the fitment is excellent.

vTC9tB6.jpg

t258iIZ.jpg

GpGeAtr.jpg

dG8db3D.jpg

nEx3cf9.jpg

Nice :D

SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Love the quality parts that is going in to this build! I will admit that it is solely because of you I regret going with the SI and not spending the extra money for the Type R :cry:

OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
absolutely a beautiful build so far! :bow:
Thanks man! I'm glad to still have a forum to post and share in this day and age of social media...granted I'm mainly on there too but I love making a journal of the build for memories and to share.

OP
OP
nojeebs

nojeebs

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '15 GT3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sold the Enkei NT03RRs and picked up a set of TSW Beryne Ritz wheels in 18x9.5 +25. Wanted something more aggressive fitting for track days as we all know you have to look good while try to go fast at the least. ;)
Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build SZHpvUSh

I think they'll look great and hold up to track days since they're black and I can be lazy with the set. Especially since these wheels are super affordable and rotary forged.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build X4Q5hTqh

Also switched to 275/35/18 RSRRs on the Advans I'm running for my street setup. Wanted to get lower and make a tad more clearance as I was still rubbing very slightly when I had full car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build YTeE4uO

If you've noticed I removed the side markers as I was in the process of painting them with the spray cans I purchased from Automotivetouchup.com

I have to say their product is really really good. The final results is an almost perfect match to the oem paint. I did 4 coats of primer, 4 base coats and 5 coats of clear. Wet sanded with 2k grit then buffed with compound.

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build P9l3aUah

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build FCIUfLGh

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build FyhXZcOh

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build eQVnNqOh

Final results back on the car:

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build vQ0pq6H

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build H8O9nRd

Honda Civic 10th gen Kazuo_WFC 2017 Civic Type R build iGMjWlz

Definitely a mod that most will have to do down the road if they want to run aggressive fitment and a meaty setup....while getting lower.