Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
@fatherpain You have the MoTeC C125 on your wishlist. What are the main reasons (aside from being a MoTeC ECU user)? Do you know if it can read oil and coolant temperatures and oil pressure in the Fk8 and alarm on them? How about support for reading custom sensors? Have you considered other dash units, like the Aim MXS 1.2? I'm still scratching the surface on dash displays.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Following the example set forth by @turbociv910 and recommendation by our tuner Salasko Racing.

Had thought about an AIM Solo 2, but Ben Salasko said the MoTeC 142 could do the same with one of their dash displays and also provide oil pressure and temperature data with sensors installed. Keeping in line with MoTeC would be a plus and Ben has expertise with its use. Cost is the one negative.

Have the MoTeC pressure and temperature sensors ready to install, but need to pay off some stuff and save abit before I’m ready to pull the trigger on the C125 and associated MoTeC GPS equipment. The C125 seems like the ideal size and Taylor has his mounted atop the steering column in front of the OEM gauge cluster.

Hadn’t heard of the AIM mx 1.2 until you mentioned it. Will have to take a look.

@fatherpain You have the MoTeC C125 on your wishlist. What are the main reasons (aside from being a MoTeC ECU user)?

Last edited:

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Following the example set forth by @turbociv910 and recommendation by our tuner Salasko Racing.

Had thought about an AIM Solo 2, but Ben Salasko said the MoTeC 142 could do the same with one of their dash displays and also provide oil pressure and temperature data with sensors installed. Keeping in line with MoTeC would be a plus and Ben has expertise with its use. Cost is the one negative.

Have the MoTeC pressure and temperature sensors ready to install, but need to pay off some stuff and save abit before I’m ready to pull the trigger on the C125 and associated MoTeC GPS equipment. The C125 seems like the ideal size and Taylor has his mounted atop the steering column in front of the OEM gauge cluster.

Hadn’t heard of the AIM mx 1.2 until you mentioned it. Will have to take a look.

Didn't know that MoTeC has sensors for the FK8. That's so appealing. The track build is an endless rabbit hole of bills :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R yourekillingmelarry

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag
The Motec display is quite awesome. I’m just beginning to play with mine and have been enjoying the ability to configure the display.

I got the C127 but still trying to figure out a good mounting solution.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your build and knowledge/experience with us all! I definitely used your thread to help with installing my radiator and oil cooler this weekend. Don’t know if things would have gone as smoothly for me without them. :)

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the kind words. It’s always cool to receive positive feedback. :D

Newbury Park isn’t that far from Fullerton. I remember once cutting across the Santa Monica mountains from the 101 FWY to the Malibu/Leo Carrillo State Beach area in the good ole 96 Honda Accord, before the Type R came along.

An amazing drive, I’d love to do again in the R, but I’ve forgotten which road it was. … the 23 perhaps? Dunno. Do you have any recommendations for a fun path across?

Keep up the great work, it’s been a pleasure watching your build ??

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Civic Sport Sedan(sold)’12 Camaro SS/RS ‘23WRX
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thank you for the kind words. It’s always cool to receive positive feedback. :D

Newbury Park isn’t that far from Fullerton. I remember once cutting across the Santa Monica mountains from the 101 FWY to the Malibu/Leo Carrillo State Beach area in the good ole 96 Honda Accord, before the Type R came along.

An amazing drive, I’d love to do again in the R, but I’ve forgotten which road it was. … the 23 perhaps? Dunno. Do you have any recommendations for a fun path across?
I like to take the 101 south and exit On Kanan rd and take a right.
Enjoy the elevation changes and tunnels to drive through until you hit Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). Then turn left.
I then dive on PCH until either Latigo Canyon or Malibu Canyon roads (both on the left), they are both reallly awesome driving roads, especially if you have a Type-R ???

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the feedback. Always glad to hear when these OCD posts are helpful with an install and aren’t leading people astray :). Which radiator and oil cooler did you opt for?

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your build and knowledge/experience with us all! I definitely used your thread to help with installing my radiator and oil cooler this weekend. Don’t know if things would have gone as smoothly for me without them. :)

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 4C26A3AF-F7E0-46E0-B140-CD12D68C9A21

Dunno if I mentioned it, but we have a box of bees in our backyard. They are non-aggressive and great for my wife’s garden. A little over a week ago, a beekeeper dropped by to show my wife (pictured in white) how to check them for wellness.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 22280E83-A31E-4852-9471-739FAF44A3E9

And harvest some honey of course. ?
We don’t normally take this time of the year, but the beekeeper said the brood box was jam packed and the bees had plenty and needed the extra room.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 6A3815FC-DAAF-4148-8538-A5B5D6493C9F
Why is this relevant in an FK8 build thread? Mrs Fatherpain asked me to scrape these wax combs off for her and I made quick work of it. :cool:

Unfortunately, woke the next day with pain in my right shoulder blade that feels like a tear, pinched nerve or whatever… and discomfort radiates down through to the elbow. Should have been more careful being an older guy performing repetitive work with awkward ergonomics. Having a dad bod certainly doesn’t help. :doh:

Would rate the pain at a 5 (but I’m a wuss so probably a 3 for a normal person, ?)….But it’s constant and annoying and have been suffering ever since. Doc has me on Ibruprofin. Have a 2nd appointment this week ?

Not a good time for having a manual transmission. Hoping this passes soon. Wish me luck, because I’ve got a few more mods I’m itching to install. ?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 97CF17A1-AFB2-42FB-ADAE-FDDF40983A57

Despite my current malady (temporary hopefully), registered last minute for AROSC’s HPDE Driving School. It is held 2 weekends per year (January and September). Have wanted to attend since first tracking the FK8… but real life always got in the way…. My back and right arm discomfort threatened to continue the trend…. :rolleyes:

However reading a brief dialogue between @ForeverCar and @V TACH about the importance of making time to drive and enjoy our cars while we still have health, time and motivation, inspired me to tough it out and forge ahead. :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 26BA0B60-BC21-4B97-928B-7F9C2B9741E3

Gave the car a long overdue wash the night before. A car has gotta look good going to a track event, ya know. ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R E12D3B96-B072-4BA0-A97F-77B941103859

There were (3) groups: Street/Track (Beginners), Novice TT and Advanced TT.
I opted for the Novice group as I’ve had just (8) track days and not a lot of formal instruction.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 645BD63A-F8CD-4CFD-B2DC-6871463C300E

Then it was off to the skid pad. Good thing my car was clean and looking good because check out the sweet Porsche I parked next to. :bow:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A00B2719-4DFE-4F50-BCDD-EAB35A521774

Here are some of the race instructors (in blue Nomex) explaining the purpose of our assignment on the skid pad. The depth of their knowledge and expertise is immense!

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 097EF109-ABF8-4B46-80A5-64F5F9A1F8EE

Never had been on a skid pad before. It’s basically a large empty lot. The instructors taught us how our cars behaved, by having us drive a large painted circle one at a time.

Once we reached a certain speed (maybe 25 mph), we were instructed to not adjust the steering wheel at all and maintain the arc.

They then showed how understeer and oversteer are controlled with throttle input alone. More gas made our cars drive wide, then subsequent pedal lift off brought them back onto the line.

Then they had us punch the accelerator to unsettle our cars past the limit and drift, then ease off to bring things back under control.

Seemed like such a simple concept, but it was super informative and helpful :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 8EE79389-9F35-431E-A905-4AD00F206940

After the skid pad exercise was complete, it was onto the Streets of Willow track to test out what we learned:
  • Throttle understeer/oversteer control
  • Late apex turn in then hard on the accelerator at the exit once the car straightened out.
  • Pre position both hands, from 10 and 2 o’clock on the steering input to 8 and 12 respectively if making a right turn, for example… 12 o’clock and 4 if making a left.
  • Look in the direction you want the car to go. (Knew that already) lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D33A8F92-CACD-4C2D-9D6C-795F3AFE8A24

And that’s how the class consisted of (2) cycles of: Skidpad —> Track driving —> Classroom.

Opted to only attend the first day (Saturday), so I could join my buddy Steve at Big Willow with Speed District (Sunday). Really wish I could have done the 2nd day of class also….But hadn’t driven with my friend since February 2021.

That said, my track driving really improved as a result of just (1) day of tutelage by the AROSC instructors:bow:

Will try to catch that 2nd day of class when AROSC reconvenes classes in September.
:headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A6200EC8-5AF4-4E1B-AD1A-0A0127B3A4E5
Track day #10 Big Willow, w/Speed District 1/16/2022. Was eager to use the knowledge gained from the AROSC HPDE training. My youngest son surprised me by waking up early and wanting to tag along with his dear old pa. Rosamond is about an hour and forty five from Fullerton, so we need to leave our house ideally by 530am *Sniff* ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1E569EA1-0DB2-42C7-ABCE-0106DB2FF9EA

Conditions were just about perfect. Clear skies. Maybe 45F for our first run of the day. I signed up for the intermediate group. Tire pressure initially set to 27 PSI.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R CB27738C-FCA7-4E0E-85EE-A7A3B253A8C8

Speed District and AROSC are my favorite groups to track with. High quality track photos are included in the cost as well as the use of lap timers...Though I suspect the timers aren't entirely accurate. I thought I easily beat my PB... however I was dismayed to find they clocked me (2.5) seconds slower. No way! I call BS haha :rolleyes1:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R DCE10B32-8850-4759-A278-852CA30A3218

Felt like my driving really improved as a result of the AROSC HPDE Novice TT class, even though I only went for 1 of the 2 days. Hit the apex later and was generally smoother. Maintained much higher speeds even though I couldn't go all out due to precious cargo on board. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 2EF93E9A-2117-4D95-85D1-103E20F049B5

Speed District is a little pricier than other clubs, which is one of the reasons I like going with them. The other cars tend to be on the higher end so I'm betting they are generally better maintained than cheaper cars. Hoping this translates to less chance for mechanical failures causing dangerous situations on the track, such as oil or coolant spills. But who knows? :dunno:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R EF6BF4DB-7B47-4CBC-8E51-EFF8BACE2AE5

With the recent cooling mods added (Dream turbo heat shield and hard lagged water pipe) temp gauge stayed normal even with the AC on. (My son turned it on without me noticing and I didn't turn it off. This happened 2x :doh:)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BD6BE1D5-559C-4061-8757-96FB4411D60D

The max speed I hit on the course was a respectable 136 MPH.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1459C2CD-31D1-43AF-837D-A731CAC9AB3B
Drove the course at faster speeds consistently throughout the course. The AROSC class really boosted confidence to push the car. For example, was able to maintain 122-124 MPH around turn 8, when previously only did 105-111 MPH.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R B48B637A-D095-45A7-8119-093BC30330C7

Cresting the top of turn 4. Taking a late apex helped with speed and getting the car straighter on exit, allowing to hit the throttle sooner and harder.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 4EE83D2D-B82B-4779-B0B9-DAE84A2E41FF

This was my 5th outing on Big Willow.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R DD290922-3AD3-470D-985E-32C26E9EDE48

Hopefully by the next track event, will have the J's Racing aero installed. Will be interesting to see how it affects the car's handling. Currently still on stock suspension. JRZ coils and RV6 suspension goodies are still on the shelf. Want to enjoy the car as is for a bit and max out my abilities before moving up. At least that's what I tell myself now. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 44DC9708-803A-404E-BA97-D192C9C1BD09

Hard to believe it's almost been (1) year since my last track day. Had forgotten how amazing it is to drive the Type R on a road course. Can hardly wait until I'm able to get back out there again. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Glad you had a good time. I signed up for Buttonwillow per my PM. Hopefully you can make it. It'll be my first time doing CW13 configuration. I'm going to install the RV6 lower camber arm, rear toe arm, and rear sway bar with billet end links (in addition to a few other mods to add more tightness and precision to the chassis/engine/suspension connections).

I went by your and others' advice and ordered the Sequence exhaust. Joe has a batch in stock ready to ship. I'm not sure it'll arrive in time to install before the track event. Did the right tip of your exhaust open up after these two track days?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Sam3 Predict you’ll be very happy with the Sequence Exhaust. Only the center pipe has the valve and it operates perfectly. The issue appears getting carbon blow by on the drivers side pipe….. that side is dirty while the passenger pipe is clean. :dunno:

Still need to connect with Joe Simpson to see if he has any idea why this is occurring.

Thank you for the Button Willow invite. Unfortunately that likely would be too soon, as my pockets are a lot lighter than they used to be with the kids getting more expensive and my OT hours getting cut down.?

My wife also has taken up watching my spending as a “hobby” ?
Sponsored

Last edited: