Some closeups of 2017 Civic Hatchback in white

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man that's interesting. I was actually pretty worried when I found out they were using the same transmission as any Chrysler product, but I assumed Honda had figured out how to make it last. Honda auto transmissions haven't exactly been the best in the world (talking auto's found in V6 Honda/Acura cars of the late 90's early '00's) but I assumed they worked out their lack of cooling and got it right for these SH-AWD cars.
I'll keep an eye on the MDX. It's just a lease (2016, picked up in May of 2015) but it's got just about 30,000 on it right now!
Definitely do keep an eye on it. Granted it could've just been a one off issue that happened from a faulty part in production but... i would not be happy if honda started using more ZF stuff at this point.

Here's the article on the Pilot... http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/pilot/2016/2016-honda-pilot-elite-review-update-3/
Sponsored

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
That's just not making any sense to my marketing and advertising brain. It doesn't make any financial sense to offer sport hatch models WITH a power bump and all the Si trimmings if they're also going to offer an Si model hatch given the increased price of the hatch over the sedan and coupe models. ALSO, the fact that the hatches are all being built in the UK and they have no Si, just an S model which will probably be comparable to our sport trims.

If they had offered a more watered down sport trim that didn't have the power bump i'd be more inclined to believe a more high powered Si variant was coming, but that power bump, the fact that the sport model has literally ALL the same visual trimmings as the Si (which we have seen testing with the same wheels and front bumper) lead me to believe that, at least for the time being there will be no Si hatch (mostly due to the price premium on the hatch and honda testing the waters on hatch sales in general as Design said on page 11). ...
I do totally see where you're coming from, and odds are you're right - but I'm just reading it differently.

To me, it looks like a classic way to increase ROI, considering that there is virtually 0 additional cost now to offer an Si hatch.

Assuming (as I am) that, regardless of the displacement, the new Si gets +/- 230 hp and an LSD, the Si would slot in perfectly above the Sport and alongside the Sport Touring, with an Si GT coming in above the Sport Touring (similar to what @Design discussed).

Want sport looks and no features? Get a sport for 24k. Want sport looks with features? Get a sport touring for 27k. Want actual sport and some features? Go si for 26k. Want sport and all of the features? Go si GT for 28k. Want hardcore with few features? CTR for 35k. Hardcore with features? CTR GT for 37k.

Without an Si hatch, they're leaving a huge hole in the middle of the lineup, right where the GTI currently plays all by itself (26-32 k well-equipped sport hatch)

They've got the shell, the drivetrains, the accessories and all variations of the body work developed, tooled, tested, approved, and ready to assemble.

But this is all just making stuff up. I want the real details...and i want to buy my Si hatch before Xmas. ;)

(Yes, I realize that even if there were an Si hatch for 2017, it likely wouldn't arrive before March - but that doesn't mean I can't ask for an Xmas miracle...)

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do totally see where you're coming from, and odds are you're right - but I'm just reading it differently.

To me, it looks like a classic way to increase ROI, considering that there is virtually 0 additional cost now to offer an Si hatch.

Assuming (as I am) that, regardless of the displacement, the new Si gets +/- 230 hp and an LSD, the Si would slot in perfectly above the Sport and alongside the Sport Touring, with an Si GT coming in above the Sport Touring (similar to what @Design discussed).

Want sport looks and no features? Get a sport for 24k. Want sport looks with features? Get a sport touring for 27k. Want actual sport and some features? Go si for 26k. Want sport and all of the features? Go si GT for 28k. Want hardcore with few features? CTR for 35k. Hardcore with features? CTR GT for 37k.

Without an Si hatch, they're leaving a huge hole in the middle of the lineup, right where the GTI currently plays all by itself (26-32 k well-equipped sport hatch)

They've got the shell, the drivetrains, the accessories and all variations of the body work developed, tooled, tested, approved, and ready to assemble.

But this is all just making stuff up. I want the real details...and i want to buy my Si hatch before Xmas. ;)

(Yes, I realize that even if there were an Si hatch for 2017, it likely wouldn't arrive before March - but that doesn't mean I can't ask for an Xmas miracle...)
And i certainly don't disagree with you that there is a market for an Si hatch. There definitely is! But honda likes to play it safe, and that'll alone be the reason we won't end up seeing one for at least the next few years depending on how hatch sales go. Also, because hatches (while on the rise) are still relatively a new concept for americans honda probably figures that the Si Sedan is enough to fill the space for the time being, unless sales and customer demand prove otherwise.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And i certainly don't disagree with you that there is a market for an Si hatch. There definitely is! But honda likes to play it safe, and that'll alone be the reason we won't end up seeing one for at least the next few years depending on how hatch sales go. Also, because hatches (while on the rise) are still relatively a new concept for americans honda probably figures that the Si Sedan is enough to fill the space for the time being, unless sales and customer demand prove otherwise.
It's not so much that Honda plays it "safe" as it is that Honda likes to maximize their investments - typically, I would agree with you that not releasing an Si hatch would be a means of limiting their exposure in case the whole hatch thing falls on its face (for instance, the investment to build an Accord SiR would be prohibitive and I could see Honda using the Accord Sport trim to gauge public interest in a sportier Accord) - but considering the fact that we already see the otherwise "unique" Si bits already in production (body pieces, trim, etc) and that we've got a common "global" platform now (including all of the Si-related drivetrains and accessories), I see the release of an Si hatch - as soon as possible - as the best route to protecting their investment, and would in fact be the "safe" option (i.e., spreading the investment they've already made across multiple models, instead of putting them all into just a couple of baskets). The engines are going over to the UK for installation one way or another. The cars are coming back from the UK one way or another. There's no additional startup or transportation cost associated with making some of them Sis.

The only argument I can see is that they're holding the Si in reserve to goose the market in case hatch sales tank.

I'd say hatches aren't a new concept for Americans; we've had a solid hatch market in the US since the 70s. It's just that SUVs and crossovers took a disproportionately large chunk out of the hatch market.

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
There is a market for Si versions of all Hondas. What it takes is an automatic version of it. I know that is like a kick in the nuts to a lot of people here. They like to be unique, elite, exclusive, or whatever. When you make any model or trim manual only, you eliminate 95% of the buying public from wanting to drive it. Then of the remaining 5%, you have to ask "Do they want to buy it?", "Can they afford to buy it?" and if the answer to those questions is Yes then finally "Will they buy it?". And then you wind up with like less than 1% of that 5%. I'm not saying they shouldn't offer a manual, they always should(bring on the manual Odyssey!). I'm saying that they should always offer an automatic, and that will make up the majority of sales that will finance the R&D and production for the rest of the people that want the manual, so they can't say "Well we offered that car but nobody bought it so we had to cancel it".

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, keep something in mind. This is the most massive lineup of Civics ever. There pretty much will be a Civic to fit everyone's needs. I think the reason for no Si hatch (at least at the beginning) is that Honda is taking a wait and see approach to see how the hatch and in particular, the Sport manual version of it sells. Maybe down the road, we'll see an Si hatch. For now, we will get a Coupe and then a Sedan version of it. And an Type-R hatch. I've never seen a compact car lineup this diverse. There is a fantastic selection of powertrains, body styles and trim levels.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Guys, keep something in mind. This is the most massive lineup of Civics ever. There pretty much will be a Civic to fit everyone's needs. I think the reason for no Si hatch (at least at the beginning) is that Honda is taking a wait and see approach to see how the hatch and in particular, the Sport manual version of it sells. Maybe down the road, we'll see an Si hatch. For now, we will get a Coupe and then a Sedan version of it. And an Type-R hatch. I've never seen a compact car lineup this diverse. There is a fantastic selection of powertrains, body styles and trim levels.
Agreed! They went all out this time around on their bread and butter car, it should make them some serious profits over all.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This lineup isn't particular expansive. Yes, we have the CTR for the first time, but that's a "Civic" like the Supra was a "Celica." Don't get me wrong - I think it's great, especially that we get the hatch again, but we've got five trims each of three body styles, compared to the typical four in the past, so it isn't night and day.

Like I said before, I'd rather see evidence that we'd have no Si hatch and then I can mentally move on - but there just isn't any that I've been able to see, and I'm seriously perplexed why people think it won't happen. It just seems that a few people made some random guess and we're all running with it.

We've only seen a coupe, but we all assume there will be a sedan Si - we don't really have any evidence for that that doesn't also apply to a hatch, though.

All we have is conjecture from all of us. ;)

Needless to say, I'm anxious for Honda to put me out of my misery with some actual info so I can stop stalking the interwebs for info.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said a while back this hatch will look better darker. Here it is in black...
Honda Civic 10th gen Some closeups of 2017 Civic Hatchback in white hatchback_zpswtywupfi

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said a while back this hatch will look better darker. Here it is in black...
hatchback_zpswtywupfi.jpg
Those vents blend rather nicely!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So nice in black. I hope metallic grey looks as good! Thanks for posting
I think I definitely want black or that polished metal dark grey. I didn't like the hatch in white. Those vents stick out like a sore thumb.

evped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
Country flag
hatchback_zpswtywupfi.jpg
I've read a lot of people saying the wheels are identical to the sedan EX-T. Every picture I see, they look black or smokey gray. Anyone?

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Yes, we have the CTR for the first time, but that's a "Civic" like the Supra was a "Celica."
What does this have to do with anything in your post about different trims? Did anyone claim the Type R wasn't a Civic?

civicXwhy?Z1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
I've read a lot of people saying the wheels are identical to the sedan EX-T. Every picture I see, they look black or smokey gray. Anyone?
Well, they obviously are the same design as the wheels we've known for awhile. But, it's becoming increasingly clear that, in this application, they have what we might call a satin-gray patina; and to my eyes they look better for it.

_forjio066

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX , 2005 Honda Accord EX
Love how the taillights have that blacked out portion to them .. wish they did something similar for the sedan :(
Sponsored