Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Anyone else have a problem with flat tires?
My OE Continentals are constantly getting nails,wires, etc., and my Z had Continentals also (Summer tires) and I seldom if ever had flats with those?
I plugged two tires - I know but i didn't run them flat only a few pounds low-I check my tires regularly.

Now, one that was fine for months with a plug is leaking again. I'm sure it's another item in the tire....
So I have decided to get them patched and "un plugged".

What's up with these things? Now I have to find a tire shop with:

1. Correct machine to not damage my rims.
2. Workers that won't use a screwdriver to scrape the weights (and paint) off my rims.
3. A shop with Black tire weights.

What are the odds of all three of these occuring? I tell you 0.

Any recommendations for shops in the Orlando area?
Sponsored

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Got two flats on the same tire in 2 weeks. What are the odds of that happening? Both times they had to be replaced because they leaked after being plugged. Fortunately, tire/wheel warranty covered both. Car is parked in a garage at home and work so I knew there was no funny business going on. Been driving 30 plus years and never had to replace a tire for a flat until now. It’s the nature of the beast. Had the service done at a local Firestone and they did an excellent job.

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2004 TW EP3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Had 3 of the 4 tires on mine have to get plugged and/or screws removed at the same time.

That’s the Type R life.
There's a good reason why many who go for 18" aftermarket wheels seldom have issues. It's a better deal all round (if you don't mind a minuscule amount of torque steer).

Check out my flat tire story, you might get some laughs out of it ?

typertimo

TypeRtimo
First Name
Timo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type R 2020 Toyota Supra
Country flag
I had 3 nails on mine recently ,same tire. I’m not on oem size I’m on 265/35-18
?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Tire Rack's recommended installer finder should give you a few options to contact.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/motorsport-messages-from-marshall/finding-a-tire-installer-near-you

and yea, such is the life of these tires. I'm on my 2nd set and both my first and 2nd set have had a patch on one of the tires.
Do not rely on tire rack's installer finder. I tried it and the tire shop did not have the equipment to mount the stock tire. Call first before you have them ship the tire somewhere.

OP
OP
Fountainhead

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I called my local Tires Plus and the young guy that answered the phone said, "yeah, mounted the tires on a McClaren yesterday, I think we can handle your wheels".
With that attitude, not without me standing there watching you buddy.

I then asked, "do you have black stick on wheel weights"? No, we just paint them black.....wow. How long does that paint last on the coated steel weights? "I don't know but long enough".....

OK, how do you remove current stick on weights from tires?
"We use a tool made for that"..OK, just let me be clear you do not use a screwdriver that scrapes the paint from the wheel right? "No, we do not".

By then he was over being interviewed for a tire swap lol.

I think I know where NOT to go. But they're so close to my home.....If I stand there and watch them and bring doughnuts maybe, just maybe I'll get lucky.

Last edited:

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I'm actually shocked mine have never picked up a nail as sticky as they are. Although I don't drive near any construction, so that may be a big factor.