First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
Hello everyone,
A recurring problem with almost every model of civic (Base, Si, CTR) are issues with the driver side CV Joint/axle/driveshaft. I'm wondering if there is enough evidence to initiate a recall?

People with CV Joint issues on stock suspension (will be updated):
bluebluemike (fixed)
Waleed94
zspeed
imnotkhail
Augenaf
GurinderM
dwag0588 - 4 times in 1200 miles.
FC1_BUILTBOOST
Kane666
MrCivicHatch12
Yattleme
J1an51
herox
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What issue would that be? I've only heard of one guy breaking his axles on track and that was it.

OP
OP
bluebluemike

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What issue would that be? I've only heard of one guy breaking his axles on track and that was it.
I've seen at least 12 people on forums having issues with a "knocking sound when turning" (bad cv joint) and they don't know what it is. People suggested sway bar links to struts and beyond but no improvements could be made, which is what makes it most likely a prematurely worn cv joint issue. I know of 5 people outside of forums who had issues with prematurely worn cv joints. All driver side. No passenger side cv joints have gone bad.

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've seen at least 12 people on forums having issues with a "knocking sound when turning" (bad cv joint) and they don't know what it is. People suggested sway bar links to struts and beyond but no improvements could be made, which is what makes it most likely a prematurely worn cv joint issue. I know of 5 people outside of forums who had issues with prematurely worn cv joints. All driver side. No passenger side cv joints have gone bad.
I don't get a knocking sound when slowly reversing and turning but I get an annoying creaking sound on drivers side. I hate it.

OP
OP
bluebluemike

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't get a knocking sound when slowly reversing and turning but I get an annoying creaking sound on drivers side. I hate it.
When do you get this sound? How can you recreate this sound?

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
When do you get this sound? How can you recreate this sound?
when I'm slowly backing up or pulling in and turn the wheel all the way to left or right. It just creaks every time. Hella annoying.

OP
OP
bluebluemike

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
when I'm slowly backing up or pulling in and turn the wheel all the way to left or right. It just creaks every time. Hella annoying.
If this happens when you are at slow speeds and turning, its the cv joint. Again only driver side as you stated.

OP
OP
bluebluemike

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A bad CV Joint can sound like a bunch of things but all in the same family of sounds and it can only be recreated very specifically. It sounds like clunking, knocking, creaking, etc. And it can only be recreated at low speeds when turning sharply.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
There's no driveshaft recall on the X gen, only fuel pump which only affects the 19MYs and is VIN controlled

OP
OP
bluebluemike

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what needs to be done? Is it a bad CV joint?
Yes. go get the cv joint replaced by dealer if you're still under warranty.

OP
OP
bluebluemike

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's no driveshaft recall on the X gen, only fuel pump which only affects the 19MYs and is VIN controlled
I know there isn't. My car is affected by the fuel pump recall. I was just wondering what it takes to initiate a recall because this seems like a very specific issue affecting a lot of people. A CV joint should last upwards of 60k miles and there are many having issues way before even the basic 36k. Mine had issues at 22k.

YattleMe

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
I've been having clunking issues on my driver side only going over small bumps and undulations in the road at a low speed. It creaks and sounds like its binding when I turn my wheel full lock out at a stand still. I'm getting my entire axle on the driver side replaced because of a small pinhole in the cv boot. It's slinging grease on my wheels and steering knuckle.

I am lowered on coilovers however these clunking noises have only started happening in the last 2k miles. I'm currently at 23k miles. It probably has something to do with me lowering my car and throwing the suspension off.

I checked for loose parts and brought it in to honda and my tech said he didn't see anything loose. Only thing he noticed was the pinhole in my cv boot on the driver side.

If the clunking noises goes away after I replace the cv joint, then I can be fairly confident that it was the cv joint that was causing all the noise.

OP
OP
bluebluemike

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been having clunking issues on my driver side only going over small bumps and undulations in the road at a low speed. It creaks and sounds like its binding when I turn my wheel full lock out at a stand still. I'm getting my entire axle on the driver side replaced because of a small pinhole in the cv boot. It's slinging grease on my wheels and steering knuckle.

I am lowered on coilovers however these clunking noises have only started happening in the last 2k miles. I'm currently at 23k miles. It probably has something to do with me lowering my car and throwing the suspension off.

I checked for loose parts and brought it in to honda and my tech said he didn't see anything loose. Only thing he noticed was the pinhole in my cv boot on the driver side.

If the clunking noises goes away after I replace the cv joint, then I can be fairly confident that it was the cv joint that was causing all the noise.
You have a bad CV Joint as well, just a different specific issue. Any issue with noise at or near full lock would be the CV Joints and any issue where there is a non-stop sound when at full lock is again a bad CV joint. Most of the time the sound isn't replicable easily, but sometimes you can just turn the wheel full lock and it would be a non-stop clicking noise. My friend with an '11 Camry had the same issue.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I know there isn't. My car is affected by the fuel pump recall. I was just wondering what it takes to initiate a recall because this seems like a very specific issue affecting a lot of people. A CV joint should last upwards of 60k miles and there are many having issues way before even the basic 36k. Mine had issues at 22k.
I can tell you that being the first to discover an issue that warrants a recall is not a fun place to be. Many years ago I ended up in arbitration because the fuel gauge in my vehicle was clearly broken. About a year after that horrible experience, a recall was issued for my vehicle's fuel gauge but I had long moved on from that nightmare.

The manufacturer collects data and then issues the recall based on all the information they have.
Sponsored