First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's honestly a lot easier than you think - and then you KNOW it's been done right and you can be confident you won't be driving down the road and have some issue like this ruin your day.

For some reason oil changes, as basic as they are, just really don't get done consistently well it seems...

Past that if you can't work on your own car - just ask when dropping it off to ensure the drain bolt is torqued to 30ft lbs - just be nice about it - I tend to bring donuts with me when having car work done to soften them up a bit and get them on my side...
Good strategy, I'll be bringing donuts from now on lol.

Pretty much guaranteed your oil plug or filter fell out if there's that much oil raining down to the point of being empty. The only alternative is there's a hole in your block or oil pan and I doubt that since you were still driving when it happened. Count your lucky stars you were close to home cause an engine will pretty much self destruct the second it runs without oil.
Lucky indeed, hey didn't you used to have a mega thread with all the mods and parts available for the FK8? I had it bookmarked while I started saving money to do a few mods at a time and one day I went looking for it and it was gone., I've seen your wiki but I know there was one that had a huge amount of info, was it yours?
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Lucky indeed, hey didn't you used to have a mega thread with all the mods and parts available for the FK8? I had it bookmarked while I started saving money to do a few mods at a time and one day I went looking for it and it was gone., I've seen your wiki but I know there was one that had a huge amount of info, was it yours?
Yeah, that thread turned into a thread for the wiki, basically. It's still there. Things started changing too fast (pricing etc) for me to keep up so I moved all the technical info to my wiki and didn't ever finish the parts section. I still have a domain, fk8.parts, I plan on using eventually to make a catalog of all the parts.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
To summarize, get Honda Roadside to take it to the dealer. Get them to document what happened. Don't bother troubleshooting it more yourself. Honda did the work, Honda warranties the car. If it was just a plug or filter then you want it documented with the dealer that they caused the problem and that they inspected the engine for damage. If it's not the plug or filter, then Honda warranties it.

Nothing you did caused this. Let the dealer (Honda) fix it.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm consistently impressed at the resilience of modern engines when it comes to lubrication or coolant pressure failure. High strung engines of the past would just shred themselves.

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick update, yesterday Honda road assistance (AAA tow truck) picked up the car, I gotta say it scared me when the guy hesitated so much to hook it up, but after several tries he did an splendid job at not damaging the lip, he really tried and I'm happy because most people wouldn't care.
he dropped it off at the dealer, I was speaking with the mechanic and the advisor explaining everything when the advisor got in the car and started the engine, I had another mini heart attack, the mechanic yield at him to turn it off.
He said it was ok since it was not completely empty.

I received a call later saying the washer was gone and that's why the oil was dripping. He said nothing happened to the engine and that the car was ok, they replaced the washer and everything was fine, I got out of work too late last night and they were closed but I will be picking it up later today.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I received a call later saying the washer was gone and that's why the oil was dripping. He said nothing happened to the engine and that the car was ok, they replaced the washer and everything was fine,
I wonder what he meant by "the washer was gone".
Did it break off, fall out, what?
I'd have to guess it was never installed.
Is this the same dealer who either installed or should have installed the washer?
I'd make sure this encounter is well documented. Down the road good documentation may save you a lot of money if you have problems.
I would not trust that the engine is OK. Did they tear it down and inspect it?
Ask specifically how they know that it's OK.

OP
OP
GHoSTyaiRo

GHoSTyaiRo

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder what he meant by "the washer was gone".
Did it break off, fall out, what?
I'd have to guess it was never installed.
Is this the same dealer who either installed or should have installed the washer?
I'd make sure this encounter is well documented. Down the road good documentation may save you a lot of money if you have problems.
When I go to pick it up I'll inquire a bit more about it. And yes it was the same dealer. I'll make sure that they document it. Is there any way to make sure they do? Or just tell them or have them give me a log of what they did?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
washers dont somehow go missing. Its either on there or not.

but then a washer not installed isn't going to create a "literally like a shower with many streams pouring oil. " like you mentioned in your first post. That leads me to believe maybe the drain plug has came loose and it was missing.

Did you verify and see if that was the case? The dealer could just be full of shit and is just telling you it was because the washer was missing because they dont want to admit to the fact that the plug was missing.

also you never know if the engine will be okay at a later mile. It might have sustained some damage but is not showing any symptoms yet. I have heard of other members here receiving some kind of an extended warranty from the dealership because of their failure to do an oil change correctly so you might want to hit them up on that.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
When I go to pick it up I'll inquire a bit more about it. And yes it was the same dealer. I'll make sure that they document it. Is there any way to make sure they do? Or just tell them or have them give me a log of what they did?
Get a piece of paper in your hand that says they failed to install the washer during your last oil change.
They won't want to do it, but ask them to write down why they think the engine didn't suffer any damage. If they inspected parts of it, then which parts did they check? At a minimum they should have cut the oil filter apart and looked for debris in it. Same for checking the remaining oil in the pan.

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I'm not going to try and dispute all the advice given... but really there's no need to get all wrapped up in documentation about who did what, and is my motor gonna crap out, and get them to accept fault if there's long term damage. But there is a smarter way to do it, and a little less confrontational, which is more likely to get you what you want & need.

You've got documentation that the car had to be towed because all of the oil came out. Also, you have documentation that they did the last oil change. Oil doesn't empty out of the pan at that rate due to a missing washer... it comes out at that rate due to a missing plug. The plug came out be cause it wasn't torqued properly. It wasn't torqued properly, possibly because the tech for got to use a fresh crush washer... the world may never know.

I'd ask for an oil change and full clean up - Which I'm sure they'll do. I'd also ask for an oil analysis going forward. The dealer should be fairly agreeable to this, they are not very expensive, and will give plenty of information about the condition of your engine and if this had any hidden, long term effect on it. If you have an oil analysis for the next 2 or 3 oil changes, you will know if something bad is going on inside the motor, well before it punches out. This would give me peace of mind as to whether or not any lasting damage occurred. If all clear, then no harm no foul.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is exactly why I wanted you to jack up the car and inspect it yourself. You could've easily noticed a missing drain plug. Why ask for advice and then not listen!?!? :dunno:

Now you have no clue what happened, and the dealer documented it was just a missing washer?! #Lies

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is exactly why I wanted you to jack up the car and inspect it yourself. You could've easily noticed a missing drain plug. Why ask for advice and then not listen!?!? :dunno:

Now you have no clue what happened, and the dealer documented it was just a missing washer?! #Lies
Not everybody has jacks and jackstands at home, and this car is a particular bitch to get jacked up and get the splash pan out before you can see the oil plug and filter.

the advisor got in the car and started the engine, I had another mini heart attack, the mechanic yield at him to turn it off.
He said it was ok since it was not completely empty.
Holy shit. What an absolute fucking moron. He could've detonated your engine right then and there.

But yeah, 'missing washer' is bullshit. The washer keeps the bolt in place once it's torqued down cause it provides a softer surface to mate against. The whole bolt fell out. They're lying to you. You can practically take the bolt out to it's last thread before oil starts leaking out.

Last edited:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

You know they're taking advantage of you every chance they get. Such ethical lowlifes.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You know they're taking advantage of you every chance they get. Such ethical lowlifes.
Unfortunately all the dealers around us are the same. They've damaged my wheels, tried charging me $250 for an alignment claiming we have some super adjustable suspension after I tried to get in on an alignment sale, forgot some splash pan screws which resulted in my splash pan falling off and being destroyed, tried charging double MSRP for brake pads... Haven't gone to a dealer since unless it was my buddy in Deland working on it, and so far that's just been for tire replacements.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Unfortunately all the dealers around us are the same. They've damaged my wheels, tried charging me $250 for an alignment claiming we have some super adjustable suspension after I tried to get in on an alignment sale, forgot some splash pan screws which resulted in my splash pan falling off and being destroyed, tried charging double MSRP for brake pads... Haven't gone to a dealer since unless it was my buddy in Deland working on it, and so far that's just been for tire replacements.
Yeah I bought in Sanford at that Honda dealer and I super dread taking my car there for the recall.
Sponsored