Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
Hi guys, I know this thread is not the first one on this forum but yesterday I left my Civic to my Honda Dealer for an oil change + summer tires installation and they loaned me a new Civic LX CVT for the day. Meaning the same engine that I have on my Civic (2.0L) but with a CVT instead of my manual transmission. My thoughts of the day: the CVT is great if you drive everyday in the city and if you drive cool ? but on the road if you drive sportily the manual transmission is much better ? in this case the CVT sounds like a vacuum cleaner ? and I felt like having something really weird between me and the engine ? I understand that CVT are made for better fuel efficiency but as far as I am concerned I didn't like the experience at all. Cheers Nick
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
The 'driving experience' has been diminished for me by the CVT.

I'm hoping for an all-electric CRZ one day.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Different strokes for different folks. Love the cvt here, especially for spirited driving.

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
Different strokes for different folks. Love the cvt here, especially for spirited driving.
Agreed! The CVT is a little quirky with it's fake shifting and all, and it's limited with holding higher than stock torque numbers. However, it gets you into the boost quicker, and holds you in it longer than the manual. I have a sport touring hatchback, with Hondata (+6psi map)and a Magna-Flow cat back exhaust, and have won a couple of races against Si's. They would pull even, then drop back a car length when they had to shift. I won't push the CVT any harder than what I have right now though.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I've never driven a Civic CVT. However, I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of our 1.5T CRV with the CVT, so I think I have a pretty good idea about what the Civic CVT driving experience would be like. Overall, I don't have a single negative thing to say about it; the transmission certainly gets the job done, and so far it's been bulletproof. But it's just...a weird experience. The sounds, the engine response. I find it hard to get used to. It's always a relief to get back into my Si and drop my hand on the familiar, old-fashioned 6MT.

I'm sure that one day I'll find myself in a BEV, still waxing nostalgic about the old days of rowing one's own gears. Something the whippersnappers of the future will never understand.

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Coming from a CVT hatch to a manual Si, I whole heartedly agree. I do commute in a city though so I sometimes ALMOST miss the CVT. But driving is now 100% more enjoyable and engaging than it used to be in the hatchback. I actually get very similar MPGs with the 6 speed, oddly enough. Maybe because I don't have to give it as much gas as the CVT just to get it to do anything lol?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT is great for the daily commute and is definitely easier to drive, however that said I could never lol. Personally I never could get into the CVT for some reason, something about the fake shifting and having "1 gear" just doesn't appeal to me what so ever. I drive in terrible stop and go traffic 5/6 days of the week but I will take my 6 speed over a CVT every single time

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i certainly hope in the short future they come up with something better than CVT to replace manual transmissions cause this will get boring very quick...

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It took a while to get used to moving from a 5 speed before, but as I drive in city traffic often I actually appreciate the CVT of the Civic. Add that to the off the line power it has, I can usually get into that empty lane at the next light well before anyone running a MT.

I sure do miss my MT in the winter though.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As a guy who over the last 25+ years has driven mostly manuals, the CVT took a bit of getting used to. Once you understand the thing, you start to appreciate how it goes to the right part of the powerband depending on the situation. It's odd at first, but works fairly well with the turbo, stock. Sounds like crap though.

A tune totally changes the feel, the fun factor and to an extent the sound of the car, and the CVT responds well. Of course I miss rowing up and down the gearbox on a curvy back country road, but for fun commuting, a tune and the CVT/turbo combo works rather well.

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The OP was comparing the transmissions with a 2.0 N/A engine. I wonder how many guys with a non turbo engine find the CVT fun to drive. I've driven a 2.0 CVT sedan as a rental for a couple of weeks, overall I thought it was about as quick and fun to drive as my previous 9th gen civic 1.8 with a manual, which was terribly underpowered, and the biggest reason I traded it for the 10th gen.

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
As someone who leased a CVT 2.0 for 3 years... I can say I turned manual and never looked back. The CVT is great for those who Honda originally marketed it to: new teen drivers (like I was), the average commuter, and someone looking to get the best bang for their buck. The manual experience switching from CVT 2.0 to 6MT 2.0 is completely different. The car feels so much more in tune, I can actually enjoy VTEC, and it truly showed me what Honda was all about, what I thought it was as a kid. As someone who enjoys chill road-tripping, city driving, and spirited twisties, the manual brings the best experience from the same engine. (as well as reliability). I feel much more confident in my 6MT than I ever did with the CVT. Granted, the CVT was VERY nice, and much better than the competition. It's a great transmission with few flaws, but the manual with the same engine brings a much better experience.

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
I test drove the ‘16 2.0 CVT on my regular work commute route along 2 lane back roads, and also back to the dealership on normal in town roads and it never worked for me. It was always in the wrong “gear” for me. I was coming off driving an ‘01 S Class with a (I think) 6 speed auto, and before that 5 speed ‘02 Dakota. After we got back to the dealer I wanted to try the 6MT LX. Didn’t even get out of the lot before I made my decision! It was a lease, and now I’m in a ‘19 Sport Sedan 6MT. Probably should have got the Si, but I was stoked to have push button start and touch screen upgrading from LX. Not really a turbo guy anyway.
Sponsored